The Parrot's Messier Log

A place to post your visual observing descriptions, reports, and log entries for the Messier Visual Awards program.
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

The Parrot's Messier Log

Post by The Happy Parrot »

Last year I saw many of these with my Z8 but I never kept a record. Going formal in 2020 with my Celestron DX 102 refractor, and ES16mm and Agena StarGuider 12mm eyepieces. The Z8 and/or a Meade 5.5mm UWA will come out for the faintest objects though I haven't used them much yet.

Presently at 34 confirmed Messier objects from my backyard, one short of the coveted first level award. Sad to say this is only possible from my location due to decreased light pollution during these strange COVID 19 days.

Main obstacles to number 35 are my neighbor's brand new McMansion which killed my eastern views and added over ten bright lights to contend with. On the Northwest side I have a brightly lit community center, and to the southwest I have the few trees that weren't chopped down for the McMansion. I adapt to my new reality by easily moving 102 refractor all over the yard in search of the perfect angle.

Frustrating targets thus far include the M58 galaxy, M97 Owl Nebula, and M104 Sombrero galaxy. Pleasant surprises include M5, M37, M47 "The worst Messier", M57 Ring Nebula, and the always tricky for me M85 galaxy.
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The Parrot's Messier Log

Post by Kanadalainen »

I found M97 to be a real bear, due to my local conditions.

Nice report!

Keep them coming. :)

Ian
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

A couple of productive nights thanks to clearing weather last Saturday and tonight. Brought the total number to 41 Messier objects and past the 35 mark courtesy of M65 and 66 in the Leo cluster. Caught M99 and a few others tonight but my favorite is M67, the ancient cluster with stars like sprinkled salt on a dark table cloth, a crisp and refreshing view after so many faint smudges.

Also noticed now that I incorrectly mentioned M47 in my original post as the "worst Messier". It is M40 I meant to write.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Very nice HP!

Congratulations on your upcoming M35 award!

Messier hunting is so much fun! I ran out at 92 with my 5” newt under bortle 7 skies, but getting the last few was so exciting. Getting up at 2 a.m. to hopefully get a glimpse of a single Messier was a thrill.

Best of success on your hunt!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Juno16 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:44 am Very nice HP!

Congratulations on your upcoming M35 award!

Messier hunting is so much fun! I ran out at 92 with my 5” newt under bortle 7 skies, but getting the last few was so exciting. Getting up at 2 a.m. to hopefully get a glimpse of a single Messier was a thrill.

Best of success on your hunt!
Thank you Jim. I have renewed respect for what 92 Messiers means. I'm not even half way there. It's getting trickier now that most low hanging fruit is accounted for on my list. As you point out, middle of the night excursions and a few post-quarantine trips to dark sites will be needed to catch up with you.
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hello Happy Parrot and nice work. If you wish, post a copy of your observing log or attach a file containing your observations following the guidelines for the TSS Messier program. At this point you qualify for the M35 Award, which we will add to your profile flair.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

helicon wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm Hello Happy Parrot and nice work. If you wish, post a copy of your observing log or attach a file containing your observations following the guidelines for the TSS Messier program. At this point you qualify for the M35 Award, which we will add to your profile flair.
Thank you Michael.

Attached is my visual log on a Google Sheets format I shamelessly plagiarized from Graeme.
Attachments
THP_Messier_Visual_Log_ 16-04-2020.xlsx
(63.43 KiB) Downloaded 178 times
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The Happy Parrot wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 pm Attached is my visual log on a Google Sheets format I shamelessly plagiarized from Graeme.

You're welcome! :)

Congratulations on your Messier Award.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

The Happy Parrot wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:20 pm
helicon wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:58 pm Hello Happy Parrot and nice work. If you wish, post a copy of your observing log or attach a file containing your observations following the guidelines for the TSS Messier program. At this point you qualify for the M35 Award, which we will add to your profile flair.
Thank you Michael.

Attached is my visual log on a Google Sheets format I shamelessly plagiarized from Graeme.
Congrats on the Award HP! I have added the bling to your profile...
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Whoa, I'm playing with the big boys now!

Thanks Michael, it looks pretty classy. Now I need a new profile picture to celebrate this milestone.
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Congratulations, Parrot! Looks snazzy on your profile. Maybe you could find a picture like the parrot you knew way back in the day.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50