Target Suggestions for January 2021

Ask questions about the targets, suggest new targets etc etc.

Moderator: kt4hx

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Target Suggestions for January 2021

Post by Graeme1858 »

If you have any ideas for the the new year January 2021 Challenge we would love to hear them!

Please post your suggestions to this thread, we will put them in the hat for the draw at the end of December!

You can put forward suggestions to view, sketch, image or just talk about!

Suggestions welcomed for the Northern hemisphere or the Southern hemisphere. Or both if you like!

Also remember there is a 9th magnitude limit.

Looking forward to your suggestions!!! :text-thankyoublue:

Also, new year, new ideas, does anybody fancy holding the reigns of the TSS Monthly Challenge Forum? Anybody keen to give it go will get to put the suggestions into the random number generator, post up the winning suggestion and generally Moderate the forum. If you're up for it or would like to talk about it just send a PM to any Mod or Admin.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

January 2021 TSS Monthly DSO Challenge - who put this guy in charge?

Post by kt4hx »

Happy Holidays folks and I hope everyone is enjoying the season despite the current health situation worldwide. With this posting I would like to inform you all that effective with the January edition of the TSS Monthly Challenge I will be assuming responsibility for its administration. I appreciate being asked by Graeme if I would be interested in doing so, and am happy to be stepping up to the plate to help out.

The new year always carries a sense of freshness and renewal. With that in mind, I will be instituting some changes to the format of the challenge program. The basic reasoning for the challenge will remain the same. That being to encourage folks to get out under the skies to seek out something new, or at least revisit an old friend that perhaps they have not seen in some time. Our ultimate goal is as always to get people to bring out their scopes and get out there under the night sky. We are given an opportunity to turn our eyes and minds to the heavens in order to enjoy the riches of the universe. After all, that is why we are here on this site, to have fun, learn and share with those of like mind.

As to the changes I intend to make starting with January, we will no longer require members to suggest targets for the challenge and putting them into a random selection process. Rather I will establish the list of objects each month for you to hunt down by either visual (including sketching) or imaging means.

Another change will be in the number of objects. We have been limiting the challenge objects to one from each celestial hemisphere, with a visual magnitude limit no dimmer than 9.9. What I envision is to provide three objects per hemisphere each month. While at least one will fall within that established criteria, at least one of them will be more challenging. My intent here is to challenge visual folks to push their equipment and skills to improve as observers. Imagers already have an advantage in terms of reach into the deep because of the sensitivity of their equipment as compared to the human eye. But they must work on technique, and hopefully providing more and diverse objects will also aid them in that process.

Regardless if you are purely visual, like to sketch or image, you are encouraged to report back to this forum with your results and impressions each month. Even if you include these objects as part of a larger observing report in the Reports Forum, or a thread in the AP forum, I still encourage you to post your results for the challenge objects here. This challenge is an observing project to supplement your regular activities, and our sharing of personal results can be a learning process for everyone. The sharing of our observing notes, sketches and/or images is the final product of the adventure - and a key element.

So with this rather verbose introduction, I hope to see more of you engaged with this challenge on a monthly basis. After all, TSS provides this resource for your collective enjoyment, encouragement and learning. As I am fond of saying, the more fun we have the more we learn. And the more we learn the more fun we have. Thanks for reading along and stand by as I gather my resources and present the all new TSS Monthly DSO Challenge for January 2021 in the coming days. I hope you enjoy the changes and its spurs your interest to dig deeper into the universe. Most importantly, keep looking up! :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: Target Suggestions for January 2021

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for taking over the TSS Monthly Challenge Alan.

I'm looking forward to trying out your new ideas!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

That sounds good, Alan.

In the meantime, let me take a crack at what was chosen for December.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

BABOafrica wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:00 pm That sounds good, Alan.

In the meantime, let me take a crack at what was chosen for December.

BABO
Thanks Joe, and absolutely. We've yet to escape December so the current batch of challenge objects still awaits our collective attention. Good luck and looking forward to seeing your results.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)

Return to “Challenges Q&A and target suggestions.”