April Challenges - my observations

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

April Challenges - my observations

Post by kt4hx »

I have observed both challenges numerous times over the years, and would like to share my impressions if I may.

Starting with Messier 44 (NGC 2632) in Cancer, I have observed it countless times over the decades. Seen with optics ranging from my naked eyes all the way up to 17.5 inches, and from suburban to dark rural skies, it is best suited to binoculars and small wide field scopes. Seen in proper perspective it is a beautifully rich cluster in small apertures at low to mid magnifications. At increasing magnification and aperture it starts to lose its character as it becomes widely dispersed. An interesting aside to this object for those with larger apertures and access to darker skies are the numerous background galaxies that swim between its stars. They are a difficult challenge and add a unique hidden layer to the cluster's character.

Being a northern observer all my life, with only periodic short-term access to more southern latititudes, NGC 3372 (Eta Carinae Nebula) holds a special place in my observing experiences. I have seen it from various locations located both north and south of the equator using instruments ranging from the naked eye to a 5 inch refractor. It has never disappointed and in fact is my all-time favorite nebula complex. That I find it more compelling than the amazing Messier 42 (Orion Nebula) is a testament to its visual beauty. Below I have quoted from one of my observations of this splendid object from a suburban observing site just south of the equator utilizing my ED80 refractor on an evening of particularly good transparency:

Then suddenly the sky threw me a bone! I noticed a more sizeable hole opening up around and above the tree that enjoys hiding part of my southern view. So I grabbed the 10x50s and scanned around. I found that NGC 3372, the Eta Carinae Nebula had cleared a couple of branches, so I quickly aimed the ED80 based on which limb it was lying off of. In short order I nailed down this wonder of the southern sky. With 26x it was a large and obvious elongated haze surrounding myriad stars and clusters in the field of view. It was easy to see, but not visually robust given my LP and general yuckiness of the sky.

So I reached into the case and pulled out my O-III filter. After screwing that into the bottom of the ES 82 18mm, I refocused, then wow-wee and man oh man! Now that was a crackerjack view if ever there was one. It was no longer merely an elongated somewhat subtle glow, but a large and intensely bright structure that expanded in all directions. There were bright knots of concentrated light, as well as prominent dark lanes slicing up the nebula. Little fingers of dark obscuring matter were etched into the nebulosity at various points giving it a somewhat mottled or curdled view, with an almost 3-D like appearance at times. My true field of view with this scope/eyepiece combo is 3.2° and the nebula took up a sizeable portion of that. It seemed to my eye that the transparency was a little better than I was expecting in that direction, and I was rewarded with a stunning visual of this outstanding nebula complex. I was also reminded of why, as much as I like M42, NGC 3372 is my favorite nebula in the sky.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: April Challenges - my observations

Post by Juno16 »

Wow, what a fine report Alan! Excellent report on the Eta Carinae!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by NGC 1365 »

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and observations Alan.
Ivan
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Thanks for that explanation. I have an O3 visual filter but never thought of using for viewing this nebula. I'll have to try that one of these days.

And I agree with you on the comparison between M42 & NGC 3372. I like to think of NGC 3372 as the "Orion Nebula of the SH".\

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
Peter802
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Peter802 »

Alan.
Great post as always.
Thank you for a fine and readable report.
Best regards.
Clear Skies.
Regards,

Peter