September 2019 Momthly Challenge!

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

September 2019 Momthly Challenge!

Post by KingClinton »

SEPTEMBER 2019 MONTHLY CHALLENGE!

Thank you once again for all the great suggestions that were put forward for September. The topic was here: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=2151

All the suggestions were put into the hat and a winner was drawn!

September 2019 draw.jpg
And the winner is NGC 7479!!!

Thanks to Steve and Mark for the suggestions.

NGC 7479. Galaxy in Pegasus, Magnitude +10.86

This galaxy was discovered by William Herschel in 1874. It is SBc barred spiral galaxy.
NGC 7479 lies about 105 million light years from Earth. The supernova SN 1990UO occurred in this galaxy. NGC 4749 is also recognized as a Seyfert galaxy undergoing starburst activity in the nucleus and outer arms.

Below is a simple chart taken from Cartes Du Ceil indicating the location of NGC 4749.

NGC 7479.png

So, as always have fun with this months challenge and throw all your toys at it, visual, sketch and photograph it, or anything else that takes your fancy(EAA etc.)
We look forward to seeing what you come up with!

:sprefac: :Astronomer1: :observer:
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: September 2019 Momthly Challenge!

Post by KingClinton »

Mark asked that we maybe include a short star hop from Markab(Alpha Pegasi) to NGC 7479.

So I have attempted to put something together that I would use. Hope it makes sense and will be useful to you guys.
The chart is from Cartes Du Ciel.
This would be a typical star hop I would do using a 25mm eyepiece and my XT8.

NGC-7479-starhop-web-star-names.jpg

All stars are identified in Skysafari along with the visual magnitudes.

1) Starting from Markab I would hop to the star HD 218133, visual magnitude +7.11
2) From HD 218133 my next hop would be to the star HD 218499, visual magnitude +7.90
3) From HD 218499 my next hop is to the star HD 218430 A(Double star, 0.8 arc seconds), visual magnitude +7.59 and +9.75
4)The final hop is from HD 218430 to NGC 7479, visual magnitude +10.86

A fairly straight forward affair. Hope this helps! :Astronomer1:
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

The Superman Galaxy! That's a challenging challenge!

It's right above the roof of my house right now and rising. I'm in!

Here's where it is from a Stellarium view just below Markab:

NGC7479
NGC7479

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

OBERWERK 25X100 BINOCULARS

NGC 7479 is definitely a tough binocular target.
This magnitude 10.97 spiral galaxy in Pegasus was not a difficult hop, but it was a difficult Get!

Transparency is 4/10.
Seeing is 4/10, maybe.
Sky conditions allowed about mag 4 stars with the naked eye.

I went out with my Pentax 8.5X43 thinking to gain some aperture over the Swaro 10X30 from my prior bino outing.

That dog just would not hunt. 😊

I mounted my 25X100 Oberwerks (2.4° field of view) and went to work.

From a centered Alpha Peg, Markab,
I moved 1/2 field of view southwest, about 1.2°.
From here I centered HD217427

From SS5 it looked as though I could drive toward my southern horizon another full field, 2.4° and I would be on NGC 7479.

This was not immediately obvious.

Between HD218430 and 52Peg, more toward HD218430, one faint star, TYC1163-0994-1, resolved.

Acording to SS5 this is a mag11.25 star so maybe this is NGC7479 and I am mistaking for a star.

At any rate, with averted vision a was able to catch a slight uptick of light that seemed to include this starlike object. I was able to catch this bloom numerous times throughout my 20 minute observation, but It did not reveal every time.
The bloom seem to appeared in the 10 o'click position of this starpoint of light.

I called it good.

I definately need to come back to this with my 152 and a 7mm Pentax XW.

Thank you Clinton.

P.S.
If I posted my obs report in the wrong place I apologize.
Please move it necessary.
Thank you.
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

On Sept 4th I observed NGC7479 as reported above with 25X100 binoculars from my home site.

On Friday, September 6th I set up at Penfield under what was supposed to be much better sky.

With the f/6.5 AR152 I was able to acquire a slightly improved visual of this small target while my viewing partner, Hankmeister3, caught an image. The 7mm XW I had thought would bring this observation up was not useful.
Too much magnification defeated my view. The best visual came in my TV22 Pan, at 45X.
This is a very difficult object for a general challange. I will try this again with my 8 inch Meade at my next opportunity.

I was able to view a more sustained faint smudge with the increased aperture, but I wonder if this target would be accessible at all to observers under LP conditions.

Thanks for reading.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nicely done Mark!
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

NGC 7479

This image is posted as an illustration only. There is no attempt to demonstrate AP skills. 😊
Hankmeister3 snapped this for me while I was viewing.
This is a single frame at 6400 45 sec, canon 80d.
I have cropped this image widthwise to the central third of the image.

I think there are a two more galaxies in the view. Ha!
I cannot find them in SS5.
Screenshot_20190909-102037_Gallery.jpg
Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

DonQuixote, I found a little better image of NGC 7479 among those I took that night when we were observing and imaging there at the Penfield site. Though my first images were just test/centering exposures at ISO6400 and of such relatively short duration, upon closer inspection I found in this one frame not only NGC 7479 and those four other easily discerned galactic telltales we noted that night on the camera's LCD screen, but another six galactic telltales on my desktop computer. And after reviewing an image captured by the Subaru 8.2 meter telescope in Hawaii, USA, it appears that a good one-fifth to one-quarter of what we thought were dim foreground stars in my quickie image capture are actually galactic cores! There's a whole bunch of galactic gold in that there part of Pegasus, dude!

I suggest everyone haul their big glass sky cannons out and see if you can either visually or photographically tag those background galaxies.

Marcus, we can haul our 10-inch SCT Meades out to the Penfield site and see if we can visually discern or better photograph the other galaxies (7479 was hard enough to visually see that night!) in a week to ten days when the Moon is not a factor. I'll spin a f/6.3 focal reducer onto my Meade and start capturing some serious images of NGC 7479 and environs to see how many other more distant galaxies can be imaged with 10 inches of glass. No way we can compete with that 8.2 meter 'scope, but in the one much narrowly framed image they published, which I just emailed to you, I counted no less than twenty to twenty-five other "back ground" galaxies! I have no idea what apparent magnitude those dimmer galaxies are, but if they're brighter than magnitude 15 or 14, we might have a chance to photographically capture a few of them with moderate exposure times. Stakking would probably reveal more. Visually? I don't know, they'll be very tough to see even with an 18 inch Dob. Unfortunately I can't find any listing online assigning any kind of registry number to these galaxies.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by sdbodin »

Well, this is all I got, a couple weeks back for NGC7479. My tracking was poor, later traced to dirt and wind blown sand under the RA hub and grinding on the RA circle causing the drive to jump in 2 arc-sec hops, the OAG just could not keep up with it. Messed with the processing to round out the stars, but still little streaks.
n7479_16f6.jpg
Imaged with Meade 16 LX200 at f6.2 with Starizona reducer and Atik 460ex mono, 9/5min lum, 2/5min RGB all 2x2 binned for 0.7"/pixel resolution. OAG with QHY5L-II mono at 2 sec rate. Tried some Ha but zip showed up, also got a couple new darks for a BPM.

Weather supposed to be junk for the rest of the month,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
Don Quixote

Post by Don Quixote »

sdbodin wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:23 pm Well, this is all I got, a couple weeks back for NGC7479. My tracking was poor, later traced to dirt and wind blown sand under the RA hub and grinding on the RA circle causing the drive to jump in 2 arc-sec hops, the OAG just could not keep up with it. Messed with the processing to round out the stars, but still little streaks.

n7479_16f6.jpg

Imaged with Meade 16 LX200 at f6.2 with Starizona reducer and Atik 460ex mono, 9/5min lum, 2/5min RGB all 2x2 binned for 0.7"/pixel resolution. OAG with QHY5L-II mono at 2 sec rate. Tried some Ha but zip showed up, also got a couple new darks for a BPM.

Weather supposed to be junk for the rest of the month,
Steve
Wonderful shot Steve.
Thank you for sharing here in the "Challenge ".