June 2021 TSS DSO Challenge

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

June 2021 TSS DSO Challenge

Post by kt4hx »

I am running a bit behind at the moment and am now just getting around to submitting my observations of the June objects. The northern objects I've observed numerous times over the years and have included one observation each from my logs, with the exception of Messier 5. For that I object I thought it would be fun to show the huge (as expected) difference between viewing it with binoculars as compared to the 17.5 inch dobsonian. For the southern objects, I've also observed M83 a few times, and the other two were only observed once each during a business trip to just south of the equator. Anyway, here is my contribution for the June list. :)

Messier 5 / NGC 5904 (Serpens, globular cluster, mag=5.7, size=23.0’, class=5):

This observation happened about six years ago from my typical suburban backyard using 10x50 binoculars - “Easily swept up about halfway between magnitude the two 3.7 stars Epsilon Serpentis and 109 Virginis. It was bright, large and round. Its core was very distinct within the larger halo. This ismy favorite globular north of the celestial equator.”

This observation happened on 21 June of this year using the 17.5 inch at our dark site house - “Moving to the eyepiece (152x) was nothing short of an emotional experience. My eye was graced with, in my view, one of the most beautiful and entrancing globular clusters in the sky. Dominating the field it was a large swirling mass of stars. The core was very compressed and extremely bright. Stars were resolved across the face of the core with a hazy backdrop of countless unresolved suns. There were swirls of stars flowing in all directions as one’s eye moved across its huge globe. My eye picked up a particularly noticeable string of stars spiraling out from the core and wrapping around through the outer halo. This immediately brought to mind a graceful uncoiling arm within a bright face-on spiral galaxy. The outer halo was extensive and highly resolved, and gradually dispersing into the surrounding star field. While Messier 13 in Hercules is certainly engaging and gets more attention, I personally favor Messier 5. I have always found it a delightfully beautiful cluster that stimulates the senses in a visceral way.”

NGC 6210 (Hercules, planetary nebula, mag=8.8, size=21.0”, SBr=6.3):

This observation was from 10 years ago using my Z10 dobsonian from my typical suburban back yard - “My final target for the night was NGC6210, a planetary nebula in southern Hercules. Centering on Delta Herculis, I moved westward to an asterism of five stars vaguely reminiscent of the shape of Auriga. Moving southwesterly from this asterism towards the double star HD 151070, my quarry slid into view. A small round, very blue ball was evident, but no sign of the central star. This was a beautiful blue pearl in the field of view and a great way to wrap up the evening.”

Messier 102 / NGC 5866 (Draco, lenticular galaxy, mag=9.9, size=6.5’x3.1’, SBr=12.9):

This observation was from about four years ago from home with my AD12 dobsonian - “It was easily found at 84x just 4° SSW of mag 3.3 Iota Draconis (Ed Asich) as a flattened disk that was thicker in the middle. There was also a couple of field stars involved with the general glow of its galactic glow. The core is very bright which adds to its overall strong appearance in the eyepiece.”

NGC 6025 (Triangulum Australe, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=15.0’, class=II2p):

This observation took place about five years ago from a location at about 5° south latitude using my ES ED80 refractor - “In the IDSA I noticed this cluster just over 3° NNE of Beta TrA and immediately aimed the Rigel Quikfinder at that mag 2.8 star. Sliding north to a Crux-like grouping of stars that straddles the TrA-Normal border, I nudged eastward and easily located the cluster. At 27x it was a very noticeable object, which appeared as two groups separated by a void. The northwestern sub-group was more a more heavily populated zig-zag line of 16 stars at 71x. The southeastern portion was a boxy grouping of seven stars. The area between them was a mostly starless void, though I did pick up three suns in that area. I found the cluster nicely compressed and very well detached from the generally rich stellar field in which it is located.”

Messier 83 / NGC 5236 (Hydra, barred spiral galaxy, mag=7.5, size=12.9’x11.5’, SBr=12.7):

This observation was from about nine years ago from a location around 18° north latitude using my ES AR127 refractor - “I then moved on to the face-on spiral galaxy M83 in Hydra, which I cannot see very well at home because of it's lower altitude. However, here it is much higher in the sky and the skies are darker. I quickly moved the AR127, with the 24mm (34x) up to Menkent (Theta Centauri). Just to the northwest was a nice grouping of 4th magnitude stars easily visible. I swung the scope over this group then continued on to the northwest and the soft, bright glow of M83 slipped into view. This is one fine galaxy, provided you have dark enough skies. Popping in the 14mm (59x) I let it drift across the FOV a few times as my eye adjusted to the target. After a bit, I was starting to see some subtle variation in brightness arcing out from the core, which was a fuzzy, bright dot. The more I concentrated, the more I was certain that I was detecting the dark lanes that run prominently along the spiral arms of the galaxy. I could trace this very subtle shading outward on both sides of the nucleus. I alternated between the 59x and 94x, also trying 123x. Overall I found the more pleasing view was at 59x, and the galaxy was simply gorgeous.”.

NGC 5882 (Lupus, planetary nebula, mag=9.4, size=19.8”, SBr=6.7):

This observation was from about five years ago from a location at about 5° south latitude using my ES ED80 refractor - “Aiming the scope at mag 3.4 Epsilon Lupi in Lupus the celestial wolf, I then slipped not quite 1.5° to the southwest to find a northward trending line of 6th, 7th and 9th mag stars. At its northern end it kicks to the west about 17.5’ to another 9th magnitude star. Before one reaches that final star to the west of the main line I was hoping to find this small planetary. Hopefully with its relavitely bright visual magnitude I could pick it up. At 27x, I found the gentle curve to the west at 27x. I immediately put in the O-III and lo and behold I was rewarded with a tiny little disk! I pushed up the magnification some though it really wasn’t necessary. At times it seemed stellar while at other times the disk reappeared. I took this to be minute changes in seeing. I didn’t notice any color in the disk other than a whitish-gray, though I’ve seen reports of a green tint with larger aperture than my 80mm.”
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)