TSS Monthly DSO Challenge - January 2021

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Monthly DSO Challenge - January 2021

Post by kt4hx »

Welcome to the first edition of the revamped TSS Monthly Challenge, now known as the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge. Every month I will present you with three challenge objects from each celestial hemisphere for you to observe, sketch and/or image. Depending upon one’s geographic location and an object’s coordinates, you may have access to all six objects for the month, but at a minimum you should always have three of the selections accessible to you. Now I ask your indulgence as I get some of the general ground work out of the way in this inaugural edition of the challenge.

As a reference, the data provided for each object will at a minimum consist of its constellation of residence, the type of object, generally accepted visual magnitude (when applicable and/or known) and its typical angular size expressed in either degrees of arc ( ° ), minutes of arc ( ‘ ) or seconds of arc ( “ ). Additionally, for most objects I may include additional data per the following examples:

• Open Clusters will also include their Trumpler classification (see link for an explanation).
http://www.astrophoton.com/trumpler_class.htm
• Globular Clusters will also include their Shapley-Sawyer core concentration classification (see link for an explanation).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shapley%E ... tion_Class
• Galaxies will also include their structural type as well as average surface brightness (SBr) expressed in magnitudes per square arc minutes.
• Planetary Nebulae will include an average surface brightness expressed in magnitudes per square arc minute and when known the magnitude of its central star.
• From time to time I may also add in some asterisms that I’ve found to be visually interesting. These will include designation of the brightest star and its magnitude, the group’s angular size, a rough count of the constituent stars and general description of the pattern they form.

For each object I will also provide a little of its history. Sometimes I may make a comment regarding the object’s appearance based on my own experience, though I do not wish to influence what you may or may not see through the eyepiece. What details we each pick up is influenced by many factors, such as localized conditions, aperture and the individual’s observing experience.

As a final comment, I will say this first edition leans heavily on the perennial favorite for this time of year – Orion. And because four of the objects come from that constellation alone, I have added in an extra challenge target for each side of the equator to add a wee bit of diversity. I also wanted to pay special homage to Charles Messier in this first edition. Of course I encourage you to pursue all the objects that you have access to regardless of where you live. So without further ado, I present the first issue of the TSS Monthly DSO Challenge. Good luck, and please report back here to share your results as you pursue these fine objects.

Northern Celestial Hemisphere:

Messier 35 / NGC 2168 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=5.1, size=25.0’, class=III2m):
This cluster is one of my personal favorites and a winter staple for many. Discovered by Phillippe De Chéseaux in the 1745-46 timeframe, it was independently recorded by Charles Messier in 1764. This is a beautiful cluster that provides an interesting view at all aperture levels. It can also be glimpsed with the naked eye under dark enough conditions (I’ve done so myself). This is actually a twofer object because in the same field of view is the next object, a more challenging cluster which can easily be overlooked if the observer is not aware of its presence.

NGC 2158 (Gemini, open cluster, mag=8.6, size=5.0’, class=II3r):
This very small and dimmer cluster sits like a hidden treasure less than half a degree southwest of M35. Far overshadowed by its bright neighbor to the northeast, it can and is frequently overlooked by observers, particularly those with less experience. Discovered by William Herschel in 1764, he called it a very compressed cluster of very dim stars and very rich. I recommend you not overlook this little treasure, as it presents a marvelous counterpoise to the brightness and beauty of M35.

Messier 78 / NGC 2068 (Orion, reflection nebula, mag=8.0, size=8.0’x6.0’):
The brightest reflection nebula in the sky was discovered by Charles Messier’s associate Pierre Méchain in 1780. The nebula is associated with a pair of 10th magnitude stars, and gives a striking appearance through the eyepiece, often likened to a pair of headlights seen through fog. How do you see it? If you are imaging, then there is a wealth of delicate detail to capture in this object.

NGC 2022 (Orion, planetary nebula, mag=11.7, size=29.0”x28.0”, SBr=9.9):
In northern Orion, about a third of the way from the great hunter’s head toward his right shoulder, Betelgeuse, is this more challenging object for your pursuit. Discovered by William Herschel in 1785, visually it typically appears as a smooth disk until one starts getting into a bit larger aperture (around 16 inches and larger). Though it does not have a particularly bright visual magnitude, it does carry a higher surface brightness. The central star is pretty feeble at about magnitude 15.9, so don’t expect it to show visually unless you have some real serious aperture.

Southern Celestial Hemisphere:

Messier 42 / NGC 1976 (Orion, diffuse nebula, mag=4.0, size=1.5°x1.0°, SBr=13.1):
Messier 43 / NGC 1982 (Orion, diffuse nebula, mag=7.0, size=20.0’x15.0’, SBr=12.9):

When one thinks of Orion, thoughts automatically turn to the Great Orion Nebula complex. The vast structure is immersive and something that one could spend a great deal of time playing with both visually (and sketching) as well as through imaging. In our case we are given a twofer here, with Messier 42 and 43 appearing in the same field of view.

What we now know as Messier 42 was very likely discovered by Nicholas-Claude Fabri de Peiresc in 1610 using a telescope given to him by Galileo. He noted it as "small illuminated cloud” near the middle star of Orion’s sword. It was independently discovered by Johann Baptist Cysat the following year, while Charles Messier first recorded the object on March 4, 1769.

The smaller object later to be known as Messier 43 seems to have been discovered by Jean-Jacques d'Ortous de Mairan around 1731, and is sometimes referred to as "De Mairan's Nebula." Messier recorded it at the same time he first sketched Messier 42 on March 4, 1769.

Most of us observe this pair multiple times each year so we can marvel in their beauty and intricacy. Thus I wanted to include them in this first issue of the challenge.

NGC 1851 (Columba, globular cluster, mag=7.1, size=12.0’, class=2):
We now head farther south into the celestial dove to pursue a beautiful globular cluster. James Dunlop discovered this fine object in 1826 using his 9 inch speculum mirror reflector during his time in Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia. As a class 2 core concentration cluster it exhibits a very tight and bright central core. Visually, at best it yields only slight resolution of some fringe member stars grudgingly, and typically only to larger apertures. Even in small apertures it is clearly a compact globular cluster with an intense core and quite a pretty sight. Give it a spin and see what you think.

NGC 2070 (Dorado, bright nebula, mag=8.0, size=20.0, SBr=14.2):
Our final object for this month is an amazing emission nebula in Dorado the dolphinfish. This large nebula is actually in a Milky Way satellite galaxy, the Large Magellanic Cloud galaxy (ESO 56-115), thus it is an extragalactic object. Its listed magnitude is a bit difficult to pin down, as I’ve seen it listed from 5.0 up to the 8.3 that I use. I prefer to be more conservative, though it is bright, as I’ve easily seen it using 10x50 binoculars from a typical suburban sky in the southern hemisphere.

Known famously as the Tarantula Nebula, it was discovered by Nicolas-Louis de Lacaille in the 1751-1752 timeframe from the Cape of Good Hope using his famous 8x one-half inch refractor. So that gives you an idea of how bright it truly appears. It has extremely high luminosity and it is stated that were it as close to Earth as the Orion Nebula, it would cast visible shadows at night. So if it rises above your horizon, do take some time to observe, sketch and/or image it as that would be time well spent.

So there you have it, your first TSS Monthly DSO Challenge and I hope you enjoy the selections I have presented. My intent was to provide a mix of objects, with some being familiar to you and hopefully others less so. With the hope that you all had a wonderful Christmas, and wishes for a positive new year, I encourage you get out there when you can and see what you can pull from the deep sky this month.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: TSS Monthly DSO Challenge - January 2021

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a great list of targets Alan!

I've still not got M35 added to my Messier collection, so I'll sort that this month. M78 is a bit big for my camera FOV so I'll have to just get Casper's head! NGC 2022 is tiny, the challenge is on!

Thanks for putting the challenge together and for all the information you have added. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:21 am That's a great list of targets Alan!

I've still not got M35 added to my Messier collection, so I'll sort that this month. M78 is a bit big for my camera FOV so I'll have to just get Casper's head! NGC 2022 is tiny, the challenge is on!

Thanks for putting the challenge together and for all the information you have added. I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

Regards

Graeme
Good luck Graeme. There are some decent challenges there for folks. Nothing really hardcore, but hopefully something that some haven't viewed or imaged. I am a bit surprised that M78 would be too large, as it is only about 8.0' x 6.0' and M35 is listed at 25.0' diameter. Anyway, good luck to you and hope you can add some new stuff to your portfolio. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

My Messier spreadsheet also quotes 8x6. However, I got this from Stellarium:

Capture.JPG

Regards

Graeme

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Thanks for the response Graeme and I see that Stellarium also states 8'x6' in angular size as well, which is not inclusive of all the area in the screen capture, as you noted. However, what we have here are multiple objects within the NGC and other catalogues being grouped under one umbrella, which makes the overall angular size much larger. The main bluish area in the image above is what is recognized as NGC 2068 (M78). That is what was discovered by Pierre Méchain, Messier's colleague. He did not see the other portions. This is the object I was referring to and is what is generally accepted as Messier's object.

However, there is far more going on as your capture displays. For example, the northern portion near the top edge of the screen capture is NGC 2071, discovered by William Herschel in 1786. The portion to the right of M78 on the other side of the dark lane is NGC 2067, which was discovered by Wilhelm Tempel in 1876. Then we have a string of four brighter knots of nebulosity trailing off to the south of NGC 2067. The northern most is NGC 2064 was discovered in 1864 by Heinrich d'Arrest. The next one is what is called McNeil's Nebula, a variable nebula discovered in 2004 by amateur Jay McNeil. Next up is the Herbig-Haro object HH 24 (from a study in the 1940s). Then finally the last is Bernes 106 from a 1977 paper "A Catalogue of Bright Nebulosities in Opaque Dust Clouds" by Swedish astronomer Claes Bernes. And finally, there is the dark nebula that you see those knots involved with that flows south of M78 - LDN 1627 (Lynd's Dark Nebula).

So as we see there is a great deal going on in this one small field. Though most of this "stuff" is part of the same nebular complex, for the purposes of the challenge, I am interested in observations and images of M78 proper - NGC 2068. If one can see or capture more than that, then you simply add gravy to the meat and potatoes. Lastly, I have annotated your screen capture below to highlight those objects I discussed above. Good luck and have fun! :)
Capture_annotated.jpg
Alan

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks for the detailed clarification Alan!

I'm looking forward to the January new Moon to have a go at your list.

Regards

Graeme

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Me too. Excellent choice of objects Alan. Now if the rain/clouds will go away.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 3:23 pm Me too. Excellent choice of objects Alan. Now if the rain/clouds will go away.
Thank you and good luck Michael. I do hope you get some clearing once the moon gets out of the way! :)
Alan

KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

Nice list Alan, thanks! I hope to get out at some point in January - but the way the weather has been the last 2 months, I am not counting on it.

For some reason, in my head, I get M42/M43 reversed in my head, and i cannot unlearn that. :oops:
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:39 pm Nice list Alan, thanks! I hope to get out at some point in January - but the way the weather has been the last 2 months, I am not counting on it.

For some reason, in my head, I get M42/M43 reversed in my head, and i cannot unlearn that. :oops:
Thanks Brett. I hope you do get an opportunity to give the objects you have access to a shot. Regarding the M42/M43 thing, just think of it this way - M42 is the larger, brighter and most obvious of the two, so it comes first in the list. Don't know if that helps but its one way of thinking about it. :)
Alan

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

M78 was my next intended target anyway, so good choice, Alan! :) Looks like a good list of objects, I am looking forward to seeing the Dorado target reports from our Southern neighbors!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

bobharmony wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:35 am M78 was my next intended target anyway, so good choice, Alan! :) Looks like a good list of objects, I am looking forward to seeing the Dorado target reports from our Southern neighbors!

Bob
Thanks Bob, and good luck with your pursuit! :)
Alan

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

nice pick on targets, i would love to jump onboard!,but atm we have a cyclone up north and alot of rain down south :(

ps. i forgot about m43 :( m42,s shadow , hopefully someone can put some time on it for us in overcast :)

also m78 is not a problem to view down here in the s hemisphere :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

it dosn't look like i'm getting any sky time soon,i've only have this old image to share, it's 9 hrs of data in ha on m78 ,there are alot better stunning images of this target in rgb online, it is a reflection nebula so ha dosn't work out that great,but it seems there is a hidden faint ha structure that not many have put time to image . i did an outline this might be why it's called casper the friendly ghost nebula :) anyone agree ?
m78 8hrs55min casper.jpg
m78 8hrs55min casper outline.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Honestly, I have never found out why that nickname was bestowed on M78. I simply don't see it myself. While I've never been a real fan of nicknames for objects, if it fits then its more understandable. But in this case, I just don't see how it fits. I agree with one imager - its a cringe-worthy name. :)

If one really wants a ghost, then I recommend Sharpless 2-136 in Cepheus. To me, that is a ghostly apparition if there ever was one (see below link).

http://cs.astronomy.com/asy/m/nebulae/472540.aspx
Alan

Return to “Submissions”