August 2020 Challenges

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

August 2020 Challenges

Post by kt4hx »

I have observed M71 a multitude of times over the decades, but will include my last (and best) observation, which was over a year ago at our dark site using the 17.5 inch:

Messier 71 / NGC 6838 (Sagitta, globular cluster, mag=8.4, size=7.2’, SBr=12.4, class=11):

As a final object to end the session I drifted down into the little arrow. Quickly scooping up this loose globular, it was indeed a pretty sight in the big dob. At 110x it was nicely resolved, a rich field of stellar points. It was clearly wedge or arrow shaped and a shimmering pool of starlight. Simply put, it was a stunning sight to behold against the starry backdrop of the Milky Way. The darker skies and aperture really made it a true showpiece.

I have observed NGC 6584 a couple of times with my ED80 refractor during trips near the equator. Here is my second visit with this southern globular:

NGC 6584 (Telescopium, globular cluster, mag=7.9, size=6.6’, class=8):

Since I was using my telescope in the celestial telescope, I decided to pay a visit to another former acquaintance. This globular was likewise observed with the 80mm during a previous trip a little further south. So I thought I’d give it another look-see. Returning to Alpha Tel, I slid down to Zeta Tel (mag 4.1) just over 3° to the south. Turning southwest I skittered almost 3.5° to a pair of 7th mag stars that form a triangle with this cluster. Centering the stars I let me eye relax and studied the view. The ghostly orb of this globular quickly swam into view. It wasn’t a strong presence at 26x, but unmistakable. Pushing up to 54x it was a small and homogeneous ball of light. Even at 102x it remained a diffuse globe, but obvious within the field. Oh to have more aperture!
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: August 2020 Challenges

Post by Graeme1858 »

That's a great feeling filled report Alan.

My M71 image will have to wait till September when my mount comes back from the meanders. Unless I can catch it on an 80mm guide scope fixed to a static tripod. What do you think?

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:33 pm That's a great feeling filled report Alan.

My M71 image will have to wait till September when my mount comes back from the meanders. Unless I can catch it on an 80mm guide scope fixed to a static tripod. What do you think?

Regards

Graeme
Thank you Graeme. Since most of my observing is now conducted at the dark site with the 17.5 inch, I have very slowly been revisiting Messier objects as an aside to my regular galaxy hunting activities. With very few exceptions, those observations have been the most beautiful views of that short list of objects that I've had in my life. Large scattered clusters like M44 and M45 of course are not well suited to observing with the larger aperture, but for the most part I've seen the Messier objects in a new light, so to speak. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a great observation Alan. I caught M71 for the first time through the 10" Dob from my backyard in 2013, one of those "loose" globulars. Really enjoyed ferreting it out from the rich star field.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

helicon wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:55 pm Sounds like a great observation Alan. I caught M71 for the first time through the 10" Dob from my backyard in 2013, one of those "loose" globulars. Really enjoyed ferreting it out from the rich star field.
Thanks Michael. Like yourself, I've observed M71 numerous times over the years. and at times it can certainly be an interesting challenge to ferret out from the strong MW field in which it lay. Interestingly I found that when we first started going over to the darker area a few years ago, that Sagitta itself was initially challenging. At home it was easy due to the LP restricting how much of the MW was apparent to the naked eye. But the first time I looked for it over there, I struggled to locate it because of the brightness of the general field in which it lay. After I found it and thus became use to its appearance there, then it no longer is a struggle. I also had a similar difficulty at first with Scutum at the dark site. It is of course all about perspective and what one becomes accustomed too. In the long run though, having darker skies and its ensuing proliferation of stars is a nice problem to have! :)
Alan

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Nice report Allan.

I was particularly interested in your description of the hunt. Been so long since I did that...

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

BABOafrica wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:59 pm Nice report Allan.

I was particularly interested in your description of the hunt. Been so long since I did that...

BABO
Thanks Joe. For myself, the hunt is one of the key motivators. I like the challenge of tracking things down, step-by-step. :)
Alan