August 2020 Monthly Challenge.

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

August 2020 Monthly Challenge.

Post by KingClinton »

A big thank you to all of you that put forward suggestions for the August 2020 monthly challenge!

If you wish to suggest a target for the September challenge you can do so here: viewtopic.php?f=84&p=105790#p105790

AUGUST 2020 MONTHLY CHALLENGE!

Once again the suggestions were put into a random draw generator online and we have our winners for the August 2020 challenge! The list of suggested targets can be seen in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=84&t=11560

And our winners are M71 for the Northern Hemisphere and NGC 6584 for the Southern Hemisphere!!

Northern Hemisphere.

M71, NGC 6838, globular cluster in the constellation Sagitta, Magnitude +6.1, Distance: 13.0 kly (4.0 kpc)

Messier 71 (also known as M71 or NGC 6838) is a globular cluster in the constellation Sagitta in the centre of the Summer Triangle. It was discovered by Philippe Loys de Chéseaux in 1745 and included by Charles Messier in his catalog of non- comet -like objects in 1780. It was also noted by Koehler at Dresden around 1775. Below is a image from Wikipedia showing the location of M71.

Capture.PNG

Southern Hemisphere

NGC 6584, Globular cluster in Telescopium, magnitude +8.72

NGC 6584 is a 8th magnitude globular cluster found in the constellation Telescopium. It is at a distance of 44 000 light years from Earth. It is a Oosterhof type I cluster and contains at least 69 variable stars.
NGC 6584 is about 4Kpc from the galactic center and about 2.7 Kpc from the Galactic plane.

Below is a Stellarium image showing the location of NGC 6584

NGC-6584.jpg

Please add the the targets to your list and let us know what you see! We would love to see your reports, images, sketches or what have you!
Wishing you all clear skies and best of luck!
Last edited by Graeme1858 on Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Northern Target Changed from M77 to M71
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

rocdoc
Moon Ambassador

Re: August 2020 Monthly Challenge.

Post by rocdoc »

Cool selection! M77 was one of my most satisfying finds. Good idea to go ferret it out again.
Properly collimated cornea-lens-vitreous optical apparatus, projecting on retinal sensor slightly limited by deuteranomaly, feeding through stock optic nerves into functional primary cortex, processed through frequently misfiring and buggy integrative cortex.
Other instruments: Skyline 8" Dobsonian, on a dob pod; Celestron Omni XLT 120 w GSO crayford focuser and Meade 5000 diagonal on Stellarvue M2C mount and Meade LX70 tripod; Oberwerk Binos: 25x100 Deluxe IF on Benro tripod with Oberwerk 5000 head or Farpoint parallelogram; 10x50 Ultra, usually on 3 Legged Thing Punks Trent monopod with Dolica trigger grip head; 8x42 Sport ED hand held. Main EPs: ES 82º 24mm and 11mm, Celestron Luminos 19mm and 10mm, Meade UWA 14mm, Meade HD-60 6.5mm. Filters: UHC, 13%, blue. Finders: RACI, Telrad, RDF, reticle.
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

rocdoc wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:06 pm Cool selection! M77 was one of my most satisfying finds. Good idea to go ferret it out again.
Looking forward to your report! :D
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Thanks for taking care of this sub-forum. It's actually my favorite on TSS.

And, BTW, love your avatar !!!

Joe // BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC
KingClinton
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

BABOafrica wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:23 pm Thanks for taking care of this sub-forum. It's actually my favorite on TSS.

And, BTW, love your avatar !!!

Joe // BABO
Thanks Joe, glad you enjoy the challenges.
Looking forward to seeing what you come up with on this one.