M101 - May Challenge from Kent UK

Place your submissions in the appropriate Topic.

Moderator: kt4hx

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

M101 - May Challenge from Kent UK

Post by Graeme1858 »

Set up last night to capture some M101 data for the challenge. After waiting for the sun to go down I got set up and aligned and grabbed some M104 whilst waiting for darkness. So I slewed to M101, took a few frames to plate solve, compose and get the exposure right and started PHD guiding. Then I set an APT plan going for 9 x 420 second lights and went indoors for a kip on the settee! I set the alarm for an hour later, woke up and went out to see how things were going. Guiding and capturing were still fine but the clouds had completely covered Ursa Major! I managed to salvage 4 frames and 2 matching set up frames. M101 was 10º past the meridian by now and I purposely left the mount running to see what would happen! My CGX mount can go 20º past the meridian and I've never done a meridian flip. I need to look into how APT controls a flip if I'm going to aspire to move on and start doing greater than 1 hour exposures! Anyway, I did just 5 darks, 'cos it was late (deja vu!) 50 bias and 50 flats.

Stacked this morning using DSS and processed in Gimp. There's some banding but overall, lack of data considered, I'm somewhat pleased.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: M101 - May Challenge from Kent UK

Post by Larry 1969 »

First, nice M101! Thanks for sharing!

I've considered the meridian flip as well but I came up with this approach and it works well enough for me... Maybe give this a try?

As my target approaches the meridian, I park and cover telescope and shoot dark and bias frames... This takes long enough that my target is past the meridian so I just get back on it and chase it down.

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Nice M101 with so little data. This is one target that really benefits from a lot of exposure time!

About APT and the meridian flip, it is a little confusing to figure out the settings but it works very well once all of that gets figured out. The plate solving that occurs after the flip frames the target beautifully, just a few pixels at most off from the pre-flip frames. These are the settings I use for Session Craft to manage the flips:
session craft JPG.JPG
The negative number in the "Flip Moment" tells APT to do the flip 5 minutes after passing the meridian, along with leaving the "Delay is counted after meridian flip" box UNCHECKED. It took me a few attempts to finally get that figured out! Previous attempts had stopped imaging pref-flip and waiting idle for a longer period of time before flipping and resuming the session.

Oh, don't forget to check the "Make Automatic Flip" box when you are ready to go :)

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Larry 1969 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:05 pm First, nice M101! Thanks for sharing!

I've considered the meridian flip as well but I came up with this approach and it works well enough for me... Maybe give this a try?

As my target approaches the meridian, I park and cover telescope and shoot dark and bias frames... This takes long enough that my target is past the meridian so I just get back on it and chase it down.

Larry

Sounds like a nice simple strategy. I'll give it a go.

Then is it just a case of flipping the post meridian images so they all match before stacking?

Cheers.

bobharmony wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm Nice M101 with so little data. This is one target that really benefits from a lot of exposure time!

About APT and the meridian flip, it is a little confusing to figure out the settings but it works very well once all of that gets figured out. The plate solving that occurs after the flip frames the target beautifully, just a few pixels at most off from the pre-flip frames. These are the settings I use for Session Craft to manage the flips:

The negative number in the "Flip Moment" tells APT to do the flip 5 minutes after passing the meridian, along with leaving the "Delay is counted after meridian flip" box UNCHECKED. It took me a few attempts to finally get that figured out! Previous attempts had stopped imaging pref-flip and waiting idle for a longer period of time before flipping and resuming the session.

Oh, don't forget to check the "Make Automatic Flip" box when you are ready to go :)

Bob

Thanks Bob. What is the reason it needs to do a Blind Solve if it knows where it's looking? I ask because I'm usually ok with the Solve function after selecting the imaged object from the APT database but I've not managed to get Blind Solve working!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
Larry 1969 United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Larry 1969 »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 6:14 pm Sounds like a nice simple strategy. I'll give it a go.

Then is it just a case of flipping the post meridian images so they all match before stacking?

Cheers.
It works well enough for me and no. No need to rotate your images before stacking. DSS will handle that.

Good luck!

Larry
For visual:
10" Skywatcher collapsible goto dob, various EP's and a Celestron StarSense auto align.

For imaging:
Orion 8" astrograph 800mm @ F3.9
Eq6-R Pro controlled by APT via EQmod with an OTA mounted mini PC
Tele Vue Paracorr Type 2 coma corrector
Altair Hypercam 26C
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Graeme - I use blind solving because All Sky Plate Solver seems to work faster for me than PlateSolve2. Whatever works for you should be fine.

And a +1 for DSS handling the stacking of pre- and post-flip images. Nothing special needed, it just handles them.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Gerald_db South Africa
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Gerald_db »

I use N.I.N.A. for capture with ASTAP for plate solving and blind solving and its flawless. Friday night I ran into a meridian after 15 images of M83. I had switched on the auto flip function a while ago but never needed it. It was perfect. Fully automated, stopped imaging and guiding, flipped, stabilised, auto plate solved, re-framed, chose new guide star, started guiding and imagining. My only problem is I'm not sure how to deal with the 5 post flip images that are inverted when I get to stacking with PI.
Telescope: Astro-Tech 127EDT Triplet Refractor
Mount: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro
Guiding: Orion 60mm guidescope; ZWO ASI290mini mono guide camera
Focuser: Sesto Senso 2 Robotic Focuser
Imaging: ZWO ASI2600MM Pro Cooled; ZWO ASI294MM Pro Cooled
Filters: ZWO EFW 7 x 36mm; ZWO 36mm unmounted LRGB and new type NB
Dew Control: 2 x Astrozap Dew Heater Bands
Power and Dew Heater Control: Pegasus Pocket Powerbox Micro
Software: N.I.N.A Image Capture Software; PHD2 Multistar Guiding; PixInsight Process Software
Sky: Bortle 4.5

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 2:43 pm Nice M101 with so little data. This is one target that really benefits from a lot of exposure time!

session craft JPG.JPG

Bob
Very interesting values in Sessioncraft Bob. I started having issues with the meridian flip when I started messing with the default values because the default values ate up so much imaging time. I just turned the AMF off and do a bright star focus at flip time.

Now that I have a focus motor, I will hopefully go back to using the AMF. Thanks for posting your values. I’ll give them a try!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
BABOafrica Kenya
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by BABOafrica »

Nice image even with the banding. You captured some good detail there.

BABO
"In lumine tuo videbimus lumen."

Scopes: Stellarvue SV80 Raptor Carbon Fiber ED Doublet / Celestron SCT C8
Williams Optics 66mm APO / DIY 8" f/4 Newtonian astrograph / Nikon 180mm f/2.8
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-G / Celestron AVX / DIY mini-equatorial
Cameras: QHY163m / Fujifilm X-A1 (modded) / Fuji X-A2 (not modded) / Orion StarShoot Auto Guider
Filters: ZWO 7nm NB set / ZWO LRGB set / ZWO Dual Band / Astronomics UHC