remote astronomy

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
alecras234
Earth Ambassador
Articles: 0

remote astronomy

Post by alecras234 »

Hi my name is Ash and i live in north wales. im disabled and use a wheelchair. I enjoy astronomy but i can't go outside at night to use a telescope as the cold makes me feel worse. I was thinking of doing remote astronomy, using an online telescope to get astro images of things that im not able to look at where i live.

I was thinking of signing up to Slooh, does you know anything about slooh please, i need advice. I was looking at the student membership which is 15 pound for 12 months. Thanks. :Astronomer1:
yobbo89 Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: remote astronomy

Post by yobbo89 »

Hello ash, I can't help you on anything with the remote access astronomy online, but I'm just wounder if you have any funds aside and a friend to lend a hand for scope setup, live view aka electronic assist astronomy can be done at home with a computer link to the scope and a camera. The price isn't ideal at first for a new comer but it pays for itself if you're highly interested in it. If you ever consider such an option to have your own remote telescope then feel free to contact anyone here for help, we'll gladly troubleshoot any problems
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Re: remote astronomy

Post by Bigzmey »

Welcome to the forum Ash! What are your concerns or questions about Slooh program?

My understanding is that you don't get a free hand control over the scope. It is more like a guided tour. At student level you can pick any of 1000 pre-selected by Slooh targets and they will schedule an on-line session for you to observe it through one of the remote scopes and capture images.

If that is what you are looking for, 15 pounds per year is a good deal.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257