Anyone tried NINA for image capture?

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Anyone tried NINA for image capture?

Post by KathyNS »

On another forum, I saw several people recommending something called NINA as an alternative to SGP for image capture. Has anyone tried it? Anyone care to review it?
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Anyone tried NINA for image capture?

Post by JayTee »

Here's the link. I'll be investigating it, but it may take me a little bit.

https://daleghent.com/nina-introduction

Cheers,
JT
Primary Features
Here’s a quick synopsis of the features in NINA as of version 1.8.0. The NINA documentation goes over them in detail.

Integrated control of telescope mount, camera, filter wheel, focuser, and rotator.
Native support for Atik, Altair, QHYCCD, ToupTek, and ZWO astronomy cameras as well as Canon and Nikon DSLRs. Naturally, non-native cameras are supported via ASCOM if those cameras have an ASCOM driver. Native support for other brands is certainly a possibility provided there is access to hardware in which to develop and test with.
Auto-Guiding: Integration with PHD2 to display in-app guiding statistics and to effect actions such as dithering.
Sky Atlas: Lets one search for targets and slew the mount to them, or to then pop into the sequence or framing editors.
Framing Assistant: once you decide on a target in Sky Atlas, use Framing Assistant to overlay the camera’s FOV and fine-tune the desired position in the frame and camera rotation.
Sequence Editor: Here is where you compose the sequence of exposures you want, with options to set filter types, dither between shots, and auto-focus based on a variety of parameters (temperature change, number of exposures, filter changes). It will also categorize your exposures into Lights, Darks, Bias and other types of frames.
Flat Wizard: Flat frames are essential to astrophotographers in order to remove noise and other unwanted artifacts from the end-product. Flat Wizard makes producing accurate Flat Field exposures as well as Darks easy to do and removes the burden of figuring that out manually.
Auto-focusing: Tools and actions to do automatic focusing at set points or after certain conditions, plus a wizard to help on pick good focusing targets
Synchronized Dithering: Multiple instances of NINA may work together with a single instance of PHD2 to accomplish synchronized dithering.
Plate Solving: Use one of several plate-solving software packages to plate-solve images for accurate telescope positioning and camera rotation needs. NINA’s polar alignment wizard also uses plate solving to allow you to accurately polar-align your mount. Astrometry.net, Platesolve2, and All Sky Plate Solver are supported.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

Thanks. I'll be downloading it and checking it out, too. No personal experience as yet, though, eh?
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Not yet, I'm still recuperating from writing up the previous software primer.
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

Looks interesting.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

That sounds interesting!

I will load it up on my observatory laptop and if and when the clouds clear, I will give it a run.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I'm playing with it now. So far I like it!!!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

I saw a post on facebooktwittertube thingy the other day and briefly read about it.. Seen it pop up in a few forums.. Downloaded it and taken a look at it briefly... On first impressions it looks good. Nicely laid out, intutive and a few nice features by the looks of it.

I think it will certainly get some of my attention to set it up with my equipment and invest some time with it.
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

It's a semi cloudy day here today so can't really do anything on the solar side. So i may get a chance to attempt to get Nina set up. What I have found so far is that it appears to have a user guide that leaves a little to be desired. (typical of open-source software) I'm sure that will get better with time as people start using it. In doing my reading and just playing. It appears setup is pretty easy. I will find out once I get everything setup.

I will report back.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

cuiv
SME

Post by cuiv »

Hello there - I'm a contributor to NINA (more like: I'm building stuff I need in NINA because it's Open Source - like Direct Guider and enhancements to star detection and autofocus) coming from an SGP background. If you have any questions, feel free to ask, although the easiest is just to join the Discord chat from the Discord link on the main page of NINA: https://nighttime-imaging.eu/

I'm also working on some quick start videos as well, that I can post when ready.

Cheers,

Yannick
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Hi Yannick!

Welcome to TSS!
I've been playing with NINA and have found it to be a great tool! So far the setup and function has been very easy. I still haven't had a chance to actually put it to use as it's been overcast during the evenings.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hello Yannick,

I've also been testing out N.I.N.A. over the last three or four days. I am an experienced APT and BYE user. So far, I'm very impressed with the software. I've had little difficulty connecting up my camera, a Canon T3i, I have yet to connect it to my scope/mount as the skies here have not been very cooperative. Hopefully, I can finish my review of the software this weekend since the weather man is saying it "might" be clear.

Cheers,
JT

cuiv
SME

Post by cuiv »

Thanks for the welcome guys :) For information, I created some videos on how to set up NINA, how the options work, how to set up sequences, and what my pre-sequence workflow typically is.

- First time setup, and in-depth explanation of all the options:

- How I set up sequences in NINA:

- My NINA pre-sequence worflow:

Also, while I contribute some features to NINA, I'm by no means an expert, so this is within my own understanding of the software.

Cheers,

Yannick
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Thanks again Yannick!

I got a chance to try it out just a bit. It was still hazy so didn't bother to try to take images, just ran it through it's paces and found a few things I had to change. There's a lot of tools so it does take a bit of learning where everything is but it seems to have everything needed. I will take a look at the videos and see if it makes the learning side a little easier.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

I'll give it a whirl - I must have the same cloud sheet that Gordon has - but I'm interesting in anything that combines the goto aspects with the imaging process.

Thanks for the nudge Kathy....
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Chuckles - NINA stands for Nighttime - and yet there's a Sun on the home page.

That's what I can't (yet) find in the listings, Sun or Moon - Perhaps I'll have to read some instructions :D

Seems it's DSO orientated, I haven't found any Solar System items. :twocents:
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

I’ve also been looking at NINA and it sure does tick an awful lot of boxes for an image capture bit of software. Easy to install and setup.. and overall quite intuitive.

As I am an SGP user I thing it would have to do something that SGP doesn’t or do it better. That’s not a knock on NINA by any means.. I e already paid for SGP, so I’m not going to switch just because.

So, what will/can NINA do that is different, easier etc?

From what I’ve seen so far, I’d certainly recommend it to someone starting out in AP
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

I just bought a license for SGP ~3 weeks ago. Typical!!!! There is one thing (that I've seen so far) that NINA has that SGP doesn't. Power monitoring for DSLR cameras. I am still way to new to SGP to add much constructive criticism, but the first few times I've used it Plate Solving worked great, lately I've had nothing but trouble. From other hobbies, I've noticed that "Open Source" programming leads to quicker up-dates to software, due in part to the actual users contributing positive criticism and solutions.

I am going to give NINA a try, when the smoke clears in the sky....
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I like the native support for ZWO cameras. I have been tinkering with APT as a replacement for BYEOS, as I am considering a camera upgrade. APT supports ZWO through ASCOM, I would prefer the native support as a rule. I may have to take a look at NINA as well.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Well,

I watched the first video Yannick provided in his post. I originally downloaded the 'tested' version 1.8. You really need to download the "nightly build" 1.9 version. It has SOOO much more!
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.