Anyone tried NINA for image capture?

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
cuiv
SME
Articles: 0

Re: Anyone tried NINA for image capture?

Post by cuiv »

@Altocumulus : yes you are right, it's not really intended for solar astronomy - and the catalog that is in it comes from an astronomy club (I think, not quite sure).

@Aidi: Yeah, I know the feeling. I had just paid for the SGP v3 upgrade (solely for the ZWO native support!) before starting out on NINA. The main reasons were:
- SGP is far too slow to go from exposure to exposure. With my ASI294MC Pro, it was taking 8-10 seconds between exposures... which were only 30 seconds long because of light pollution here. So I was losing 20-25% of imaging time. NINA is highly multi-threaded, and will basically immediately take the next exposure. NINA was a game changer for me.
- The NINA catalog, framing wizard, target choosing are awesome, along with the altitude graph over time of each target, so much easier for me to plan my sessions
- SGP cannot do a Meridian Flip on mounts that don't report the Side Of Pier properly. Vixen Starbook 10 5.0.0. had a bug during that time where the mount reported the wrong Side Of Pier, so SGP meridian flip didn't work anymore (Vixen finally fixed it a couple of weeks ago). Same for my AZ-GTi in Eq mode, it reports the wrong side of pier, so won't work with SGP for Meridian Flip.
- NINA is open source, so any feature I need, I can build (note that this was highly optimistic: I didn't know how to program when I started using NINA 2-3 months ago). Since then I added a Direct Guider, enhancements to auto-focus, plate solve, and star detection (especially for OSC sensors), an automated pre-sequence checklist, sequence recovery, and end of sequence options, e.g. stuff I needed (that also happen to help other people). And of course the main devs did much more work on other, more difficult items.

@OhNo: when you try it out... try it during the day! You don't want to be losing time under the stars :)

@Bobharmony: native support is noticeably faster - SGP v3 also has ZWO native support, btw.

@Gordon: yes, I recommend the nightlies.... although they can break :)

Cheers,

Yannick
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

Thanks Yannick. Is there any possibility the Solar System could be added to the options?
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Aidi
Mars Ambassador

Post by Aidi »

Thanks Yannick.
Rgds
Aidi

Equipment: Skywatcher Esprit 120 | Altair Astro 70mm Quadruplet| EQ-6 R Pro | QHY PoleMaster | QHY5L-II Autoguide Camera | ZWO OAG | PHD2 | EQMOD/ASCOM | Atik 460ex Mono| ZWO ASI 1600mm Pro| Pegasus UPB & Focusers | SGP Pro | CDC | PS 2017 | PixInsight
cuiv
SME

Post by cuiv »

@Altocumulus: to be honest, I've never thought about programs like SGP or NINA for solar. I personally simply use Cartes du Ciel and Sharpcap to get around and to capture. I think the only to point to a solar target (besides just doing it in Cartes du Ciel) would be to select the target in a planetarium software (like CdC) and then get NINA to import the coordinates from there (there is an integration to fetch data from planetarium software). I don't think there's plan in the near future to add solar system options at this stage...
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1044

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

@Gordon: yes, I recommend the nightlies.... although they can break :)
I fully understand. The BIG reasons I decided to try the nightly was the compatibility to Cartes Du Ciel (it's what I have used for years) AND the ability to 'RESET' the display.

We greatly appreciate your assistance and comments on TSS.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

dghent
SME

Post by dghent »

Hi folks, I'm one of several contributors to the NINA project. I did the QHY native support, ASCOM ObservingConditions support, and a few other odds and ends, mainly around FITS keywords. NINA is a true open source project which was started and is overseen by Stephan Berg who acts in a "benevolent dictator" type of role. The others who contribute to it (such as myself) do so out of it being a fun marriage between our professional skills and our hobby. I'm dropping in here to offer some notes based on some of the discussions and feedback so far in this thread.

NINA is, for now, oriented towards DSO photography. It's my personal opinion, which likely not too dissimilar from that of the other devs, that there are tools such as SharpCap and FireCapture which are better-suited towards high frame rate captures of planetary objects and solar (and I love my solar... I own 4 different Quarks and a 0.5A University filter). Maybe in the future NINA could become better suited towards things closer to home, but for right now the rabbit we want to chase as a project is the DSO realm.

Right now you'll see the 1.8 and 1.9 releases on NINA's website. The project follows an even/odd numbered stable and development release cycle. The 1.8 stable release came from the 1.7 development cycle prior to it. After 1.7 transitioned to 1.8, the only updates 1.8 will see are bug fixes to existing functionality. The 1.9 series is where all the development is happening, which will eventually be cut as stable version 1.10, in the same manner that 1.8 was created. Development will then shift to 1.11, with 1.10 receiving only bug updates, so-on. So as Gordon pointed out, all the new stuff is in 1.9, but it's also the bleeding edge. There might be issues or bugs from release to release, although we always strive as individual contributors to release code that is production-ready.

As for documentation, it does need some improvement and filling out in that department. Once I get my next project finished, documentation is something I want to take a look at and possibly make it something that is easy for the community to contribute to as well. I know the impression amongst many is that one need to be proficient in a programming language in order to contribute meaningfully to an open source project. That's certainly not the case and documentation or technical writing is one example that is often a very needed role in a project that doesn't require programming skills.

Occasionally we get asked about dome control from those interested who have an observatory. We're deliberately taking our time in getting there (that is, unless someone pops up suddenly with a super-compelling Dome implementation in the mean-time) because we want to get everything refined insofar as imaging hardware and sequence features are concerned - the core purpose. NINA is a relatively young application, so we don't want to rush ahead too far into such an area only to have second thoughts about design oversights later. Despite that, we are laying the groundwork for Dome environments with ASCOM switch and ObservingConditions work being done, and are probably going to figure out a good way to integrate ASCOM Safety Monitor into an upcoming refactoring of the Sequence engine. I'd say after all that dust settles, Dome is something that be seriously considered.

Out of deference to the forum, I don't want to come across as trying to advertise NINA over any other software. I personally see NINA as one choice among many choices, and enjoy working on it as a part of my own astrophoto pursuits so I'd rather not creep into "Is NINA better than _______" kinds of discussions. If anyone has technical questions or questions about the project itself, I'll certainly be happy to answer them.
Scopes: Astro-Physics 130GTX (w/ FocusBoss), CFF 92mm f/6, Telescop-Service 130mm f/7, Orion XT10i dob (Protostar flocking, Moonlite focuser retrofitted)
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach1GTO, Rainbow Astro RST-135, Fornax LighTrack II
Solar: DayStar Quantum, Quarks: H-alpha Chrom+Prom, Ca-H, Mg I-B2, Baader Herschel Wedge
Cameras: QHY294C, ZWO ASI1600MM, ASI174MM, ASI290MC, ASI290MM-Mini
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCap Pro, TheSkyX, AS3!, PixInsight, ASTAP
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Thank you for your input Dale!

We appreciate all of the work it takes to put something like this together and offer it out as a work of love. With the little bit that I have been able to test out NINA it appears this will quickly become my go to for DSO capture. Please feel welcome to use our 'Vendors' forum to post announcements for updates to NINA. As always you are welcome to participate in any of our forums to answer questions or make suggestions!

I will update your account to Vendor so everyone will know you are associated with a product for astronomy.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC

cuiv
SME

Post by cuiv »

Not a big fan of getting the Vendor acronym, since I'm not selling anything and am not representing NINA (more of a user who contributes features according to their own needs than anything else - still have SGP updated to v3 on the side!). I wouldn't want to misrepresent myself as a person who is actually responsible for and represents the software, so I'm not sure it's appropriate. That would mean that everything I post is seen as coming from the NINA Team in general, and I can't presume to be speaking for the team, much less the creator of the software (e.g. the one who coded the thing in the first place, and who is building the package, hosting and distributing it).

Of course I'm still listening to feedback - I'll typically pick up on simple features / good ideas that can be a help to my own workflow :p
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

cuiv wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:34 am @Altocumulus: to be honest, I've never thought about programs like SGP or NINA for solar. I personally simply use Cartes du Ciel and Sharpcap to get around and to capture. I think the only to point to a solar target (besides just doing it in Cartes du Ciel) would be to select the target in a planetarium software (like CdC) and then get NINA to import the coordinates from there (there is an integration to fetch data from planetarium software). I don't think there's plan in the near future to add solar system options at this stage...
Indeed, I too use Sharpcap and CdC - but NINA hinted at a one-stop shop for both of those combined, hence my interest. Yes one could use coordinates, but unless it tracks at the Solar/Lunar rate ..... :Think:
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

We can't forget that we have to do the preliminary stuff with our equipment. You still need to polar align your mount, get it pointing close to where you want to image, and select the tracking speed for your target. Sequencing programs does not turn your gear into a fully autonomous system.

I used Version 1.8 last night. It did everything the way I expected it to. Presently it plate solves heads and tails better than that over-priced program I bought. There are some things I miss about my other capture (but non-sequencing) program. It has a voice file system that audibly tells you what it's doing. This wouldn't be an issue if you set up your session to start in the middle of the night with you not in attendance.... it would help if there was audio for setting up a session. Not a big deal.

On the positive side, NINA has a battery monitor for us that still use a DSLR. Again, if it is doing it's thing in the middle of the night with no one watching, who cares. The way you set up a sequence is way easier than with the paid for program I have. Plate solving is a breeze without a lot of messin' around.

My only regret is I didn't find out about NINA before droppin' 135 Canuck bucks on that other program!!!!
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

I had a chance last night to do a bit more testing with NINA software. I did discover a couple of things that didn't seem to work for me.

1. The "Optimal exposure" area doesn't display any information. (I understand it's beta but perhaps I'm just missing something).

2. It appears the 'connect" button works to turn everything on, but it doesn't appear to turn everything off. I still had to shut each one down independently. Perhaps a button as part of the sequence to power off.

3. I have to park my mount using a custom park position. It appears there is no way to do this within NINA.

I will say it was VERY nice to just power up and let everything start up on it's own. The sequence ran without any problems at all!

I'm still fiddling with the autofocus to get my 'curve' to smooth out. I'm sure it's just finding the correct setting to get it dialed in.

I totally agree with the quickness of the platesolve!!!! Light years faster than anything else I've ever used.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Ok, first imaging session using NINA is under way. Pretty darn cool so far.

Still having a little trouble figuring out how to set focus (manually), but I’ll get there.

I chose my target using the Sky Atlas and sent that to the sequencer. Set up my sequence and hit the go button. The mount slewed, plate solved, then centered my target, and the imaging commenced.

I toggled the auto meridian flip option. That should hopefully kick off here it a short while.

So far I am impressed. :)
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Well, that was a severe disappointment. The nightly cloud hoard was delayed by about 45 minutes so I got 18 frames of M13 in the can.

But, the image is a nice emerald green and the core is extremely blown out. Back to the drawing board...<sigh>
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

I wish that I had an ascom driver for my Nikon so that I could try NINA. I’ve tried the ascom for dslr driver without success. Could be my D3300.
Glad that it is working well for astro cammers!

Thanks,
Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

bladekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 am Well, that was a severe disappointment. The nightly cloud hoard was delayed by about 45 minutes so I got 18 frames of M13 in the can.

But, the image is a nice emerald green and the core is extremely blown out. Back to the drawing board...<sigh>
What camera Bryan?
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Gordon wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:54 pm
bladekeeper wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 am Well, that was a severe disappointment. The nightly cloud hoard was delayed by about 45 minutes so I got 18 frames of M13 in the can.

What camera Bryan?
ZWO ASI294MC Pro. :)
Bryan

Site Admin
Site Admin

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

Sounds like bayering problem.
Gordon
ZWO mini guider.

bladekeeper

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Gordon wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 1:48 am Sounds like bayering problem.
Better luck last night: viewtopic.php?f=66&t=1410 :)
Bryan