The Astro & AP Software Primer -- Wading Through The Disarray Of Titles

Discuss what equipment, AP Software, AP Apps you are using.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

The Astro & AP Software Primer -- Wading Through The Disarray Of Titles

Post by JayTee »

Before we begin, this material was developed by me for a class I have taught a number of times. This is only a discussion on AP software titles. I do not provide any techniques for use or recommendations as to which title may be better than another. Also, all freeware is listed first and the order in which the titles appear is arbitrary. Additionally, this primer does not include smartphone/tablet specific software -- that is for another post currently under development.

This post is for astrophotography (AP) beginners and as such will only cover DSLR/CMOS deep sky object imaging and DSLR/webcam planetary/lunar imaging software, keeping in mind that there is a huge overlap, in software features, between camera type specific approaches.
  • AP is a procedurally complex and detail oriented endeavor
    AP software can be amazingly complex and has a very steep learning curve
    • This is one of the reasons why instruction vs. personal discovery is so important – there are just not enough hours in the day/week/year/your life to learn more than a handful of these titles
As of today, there are over 90 pieces of software that can be used in pursuit of that perfect astro image
  • • Fortunately for us, a lot of them are FREE!!
    • Fortunately for us, I will not be covering them all!
This Post’s Approach

In this post, I will try to break this endeavor down by category and by using flow charts so you get a feel of the flow for using different pieces of software
  • • You will notice that there are quite a few multi-purpose titles and many with identical/overlapping features
    • The first section will show the categories and software that are at your disposal to plan, acquire, and process an image
    • The second part will be object specific (DSO vs. Planetary) and how the procedural flow will determine which software titles are used for that particular object
Astro Imaging Software Categories Overview
  • • Planetarium Programs, Atlases, and Planners
    • Camera Control – DSLR and planetary imaging webcam control for this post
    • Software Assisted Focusing
    • Image Acquisition Automation
    • Image Calibration, Aligning and Stacking
    • Image Correction and Enhancement (Post-Processing)
    • Autoguiding Software
    • Photo Utilities
    • Photoshop Filters and Actions
Planetarium Programs, Atlases, and Planners

Planetarium programs, planners, and atlases let you find out what is up in the sky and help you plan your observing and AP session. Many of these titles interact with your image acquisition software and your telescope mount.
  • • Stellarium {$Free}
    • Cartes du Ciel {$Free}
    • SkyTechX {$Free}
    • Virtual Moon Atlas {$Free}
    • C2A (Computer Aided Astronomy) {$Free}
    • AstroPlanner – Aids in planning, visualization, and logging
    • SkyTools 3 – Mostly for visual use but definitely aids in planning
    • SkyMap Pro
    • The SkyX
    • Starry Night Pro 6/7/8
Camera (DSLR) Control

With camera control software, you can use your computer to control all of the functions and settings of your camera
  • • N.I.N.A. (Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy) {$Free} – Camera and equipment control (color filters, auto-focusers, and mounts), Image acquisition
    APT (Astro Photography Tool) - Camera control, focus, image acquisition automation, and mount control.
    • BackyardEOS & Backyard Nikon - Camera control, focus, image acquisition automation, drift alignment assist
    • Sequence Generator Pro – controls equipment - cameras, color filters, auto-focusers and mounts
    • Nebulosity 3/4 - Camera control, focus, image acquisition automation, image calibration, image processing
    • Images Plus Camera Control - DSLR control, focusing, image acquisition automation
    • Maxim DL - DSLR and CCD control and image processing
WebCam Control

With webcam control software, you can use your computer to control all of the functions and settings of your guiding/planetary imaging webcam
  • • AmCap - {$Free}
    • SharpCap - {$Free}
    • Fire Capture - {$Free}
    • Astro Snap - {$Free}
    • K3CCDTools - {$Free} version – Somewhat dated
Assisted Focusing Software

Focusing the camera can be done by manual focusing and visual inspection of the Live-view image on the computer screen or the camera’s LCD; or using the acquisition software's automated process if you are equipped for that
  • • Bahtinov Grabber - {$Free}
    • Focus Max {$Free} - Focusing software that automates focusing if you have a motorized focuser that works with Maxim DL
    • N.I.N.A. (Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy) {$Free} – Image acquisition, controls equipment - cameras, color filters, auto-focusers, and mounts
    APT (Astro Photography Tool)
    • BackyardEOS/Nikon
    • Sequence Generator Pro
    • Nebulosity
    • Images Plus Camera Control
    • AstroArt
    • Maxim DSLR
Image Acquisition Automation

This is where we have to break into two camps: deep sky object images and planetary/lunar images. We’ll start with deep sky object images using a DSLR.

Deep Sky Image Acquisition Automation Using a DSLR

This is where we use the camera control programs because long exposure deep-sky AP is best achieved by shooting many shorter duration exposures. Faint deep-sky objects may require several hours’ worth of 3-10 minute exposures that are later stacked (combined) during image processing. The following programs automate this potentially hours long (even all night) image acquisition process. To repeat:
  • DSLR Shutter {$Free} - image acquisition automation
    • N.I.N.A. (Nighttime Imaging 'N' Astronomy) {$Free} – Image acquisition and plate solve
    APT (Astro Photography Tool) - Image acquisition and plate solve
    • BackyardEOS
    • Sequence Generator Pro - Image acquisition and plate solve
    • Nebulosity
    • Images Plus Camera Control
    • AstroArt
    • Maxim DSLR
Image Stacking For DSLR

Advanced Astro Imaging requires the "calibration, aligning and stacking" of all the .raw images. Your calibration frames (darks, flats, bias) and your object image frames (what we call “lights”) are “stacked” (combined) into a single “master” image. In other words, “Stacking" means combining and aligning many individual short exposures; your “light” frames and your calibration frames into a single “master” image. These processes (calibration, aligning and stacking) used to be a done separately (and still can be if you want) but it’s not needed anymore as dedicated astro image stacking programs will do all these steps in route to producing that “master” single image.

Image Stacking Software for DSLR Deep Sky Objects
  • • Deepsky Stacker (DSS) {$Free} - Image calibration, alignment, and stacking
    • IRIS {$Free} - DSLR control, image acquisition automation
    • Regim {$Free} - Image calibration, alignment, and stacking
    • PixInsight – Advanced and very powerful image calibration, alignment, stacking, and post-processing
    • Nebulosity - Image calibration, alignment, and stacking
    AIP (Astronomical Image Processing - Image calibration, correction, enhancement
    • Images Plus – Image processing
    • AstroArt - Image calibration, alignment, stacking
    • Maxim DL - Image calibration, alignment, and stacking
Planetary/Lunar Image Acquisition Using a Webcam

Planetary/Lunar AP is best achieved by shooting thousands of video frames this can be done with either a dedicated webcam or the video feature of your DSLR. The reason we use video files for this type of imaging is to take advantage of a phenomenon known as “lucky” imaging. Lucky imaging takes advantage of the fact that even a moving atmosphere has brief periods where the seeing is exceptionally calm. So if you take enough video frames, being captured at a reasonably high frame rate (>30 frames/second), then you will capture frames that occur during that brief lucky seeing period. This video file is later stacked (combined) during image processing into a single master image. The following programs automate this fast moving image acquisition process. To repeat:
  • • AmCap - {$Free}
    • SharpCap - {$Free}
    • Fire Capture - {$Free}
    • Astro Snap - {$Free}
    • K3CCDTools - {$Free} version
Image Stacking For Planetary/Lunar Images

Image stacking for Planetary/Lunar Images is a multi-step process for your video file. Let’s say your video file has 1,000 frames in it. We would like to review each frame and grade it based on how clear the image is. Fortunately, we don’t have to do this manually. The two main image stacking titles will automatically do this for you. Obviously, it will take your computer some time to work its way through all those frames. To make this lengthy process easier we use an additional title that pre-processes all those frames so a lot of the work is already done before we put it in the stacking software.
  • • PIPP (Planetary Image Pre-Processing) {$Free} -- Crops each frame, selects only the best quality frames (you decide how many) to speed up the stacking software
    • AutoStakkert! 2 or 3 - {$Free} -- for stacking planetary images
    • RegiStax 6 {$Free} - for stacking planetary images
Deep Sky Object Image Correction and Enhancement (Post-Processing)

Once your images are calibrated, aligned and stacked giving you a Master Image, you will want to “stretch” the histogram to bring out faint detail. Then you can correct for things such as color balance, and increase the contrast and saturation to make faint details more pleasing artistically. You will probably also want to apply some type of noise reduction and sharpness, and you may want to apply even more sophisticated enhancement techniques.

Planetary/Lunar Image Correction and Enhancement (Post-Processing)

Now that your stacking software has given you your single master image, it is time to apply some artistic enhancements (contrast, saturation, denoise, sharpen, etc). The following software titles apply to both types of images with a few exceptions.

This software is where the “magic” happens!
  • • IRIS {$Free}
    • GIMPshop {$Free}
    • Photoshop
    • Photoshop Elements
    • PixInsight
    AIP (Astronomical Image Processing)
    • Nebulosity
    • Images Plus
    • AstroArt
    StarTools - post-processing for noise reduction, fine detail enhancement, and color calibration
    • Maxim DSLR
    • Registax 6 {$Free} – used to enhance your planetary images with its “wavelets” function
Autoguiding Software

By automatically following a star (tracking) and then making small corrections in right ascension and declination (guiding), higher tracking accuracy is obtained. This allows for long-exposure deep-sky AP.
Autoguiding involves using a separate CCD or Webcam attached to either a second smaller telescope or an off-axis guider connected to the focuser of your imaging scope. We do this to monitor a star's position within the guide camera’s field of view and the guiding software sends corrections to the telescope's mount to “guide” or hold that star motionless in that field of view. This higher accuracy compensates for inaccuracies in the mount's tracking abilities.
  • • GuideDog {$Free}
    • PHD 2 {$Free}
    • Metaguide {$Free}
    • Guidemaster {$Free}
    • AstroArt
    • Maxim DSLR
Imaging Utilities

These programs perform useful additional functions like allowing you to plate solve, open FITS format files, perform noise reduction, and create thumbnails for indexing and archiving, etc.
  • • AstroTortilla {$FREE} – Plate solving freeware
    • Platesolve 2 {$FREE} – Plate solver
    • All Sky Plate Solver {$FREE} – Another plate solver
    • Dark Library {$Free} - Sort Dark frames by EXIF temperature data
    • EXIF Reader {$Free} - Reads EXIF data, also a thumbnail and image viewer
    • FITS Liberator {$Free} - FITS file format image handling software
    • Noiseware Community Edition {$Free} - Noise Reduction software
    • Background Subtraction Toolkit {$Free} - Remove gradients and vignetting
    • IrfanView {$Free} – Very powerful image viewer and manipulator
    • Picassa {$Free} - Thumbnail and Image Viewer and database
    • StarTrails - {$Free} - Stack individual frames to create a star-trail image – way cool!
Photoshop Filters and Actions

These filters and actions work inside of Photoshop and perform specialty functions for astronomy, such as gradient and noise reduction
  • • Astronomy Tools - Noel Carboni's Photoshop actions for various AP techniques
    • Annie's Astro Actions - Astrophotography specific Photoshop actions
    • Noise Ninja - Noise Reduction filter
    • GradientXTerminator - Removes vignetting and gradients
    • HLVG – Hasta La Vista Green – Removes the “green” tint a lot of images acquired during processing
Object Specific Processing Flow

The type of software and the order in which you use it is usually determined by what type of object you are imaging.
These are two major object categories - Deep Sky objects and Solar System objects. These two different categories highly influence the procedures you use from planning all the way to looking at YOUR pretty picture on the computer screen.

Deep Sky Object Flow
DSO Flow.jpg
Solar System Object Flow
Planetary Flow.jpg
Websites

This presentation on software doesn’t even address the hundreds of websites that can aid in your efforts to image the night sky. All of the areas that we used in this post to categorize the software can also be used to categorize the websites that provide many similar functions. Additionally, the web has hundreds of tutorials for using just about every title mentioned. Final thoughts:
  • • Remember – All software has a user interface that you may or may not like
    •  Experiment, see what fits your needs, abilities, and preferences
    •  Keeping in mind there are only so many hours in the day to learn new software
Lastly, when you do graduate up to a dedicated cooled Mono-CCD (and now the newest CMOS) camera, there are only a few extra titles that may interest you. By then you’ll already know what they are.

I hope this post has helped you gain a better understanding of not only the plethora of AP related software titles, clearing up the disarray and confusion this growing number of titles has caused, and their place in "flow" of creating an astro image.

Let's make this a living document because the titles are somewhat "perishable", so additions, subtractions, and suggestions are welcome.

Happy imaging,
JT

PS, I have now entered attachment hell!
Attachments
DSO Flow.jpg
Planetary Flow.jpg
Can't delete
Can't delete
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The AP Software Primer -- Wading Through The Disarray Of Titles

Post by Juno16 »

JT,

Awesome post!
Man,you certainly have covered quite a bit!

Very helpful, JT. Thanks a bunch!

Jim
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

Wow, nice comprehensive list, JT! Nicely done!
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

Arsene37
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by Arsene37 »

Hi !
This is all I needed !
Arsène
Petzval quadruplet 152/760 on iOptron CEM25P — XX12 Orion Skyquest — 5.5" Celestron Comet Catcher (40 years old) — Perl-Vixen 130 mm/720 mm EQ — 8 mmm, 17mm and 31 mm aspheric Hyperion — BST Explorer ED 5 mm — Baader MPCC II — Leica EP 20x-60x — 2x Barlow — TS Optics Binoculars 20x80 Triplet.
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Whew, JT. I have a lot more reading/research to do! Thanks for the synopsis.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

quincy
Mars Ambassador

Post by quincy »

Boy! That's all to it?
Geez...

I've never been very interested in AP, but I think I'm looking forward this.
My 'ol brain needs some new learning.
Jim

Orion 80mm Table Top Refractor, Orion XT12g
7x35 Bushnell & Gordon 10 x 50 Binoculars, and my aging Peepers
Altocumulus Scotland
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

OMG - Thank you.

That seems to suggest there's more choice than anybody could want. I guess it's a case of picking one either by recommendation and trying, or pot luck until one fits your way of doing. The danger is, with this vast choice, is you could end up spending far too much time looking at each in turn, rather than spending dedicated time on one or two.

Some of those 'freebies' - have paid elements attached? Sharpcap springs to mind

I didn't see Genika64, is that because it's restrictive on camera?
Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
Kanadalainen
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Kanadalainen »

This info is gold for a new AP guy. Thanks JT, this is a beautiful tome. :)
Ian

Fracs: Stellarvue 70T f6; SW 120mm Esprit f7; "Mark Mk. II" - 60 mm Tasco f6; C80 frac f 11.4
SCT: C8 Edge f10 or f7 with reducer
Dob: 14.5" homebuilt strut dob (f4.5 ZOC mirror), Nexus II, Moonlite focuser
Mounts - Ioptron Skyguider pro, Astro Physics GTO900
Cameras and lenses - ZWO 2600 mc, 290 mm mini, Canon 60D modded with Rokinon 10mm 2.8; Rokinon 135mm f2

Skysafari 6 Pro, Astro Pixel Processor, Pixinsight - using Mac tablet and ASIair pro to run the AP rig.

"Mothers! It is there!" - Rafael Gonzales-Acuna, 2018.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

Is there any beginner who still dares to try AP after this?

The good news is that for those who just want to try AP with a DSLR without having to deal with software: You need no software at all. The firmware in your goto mount has everything you need to get started. The only exception is if you have an autoguider; you will need software to control your mount for that.

Personally I believe in manual labor to learn the basics. That way you can learn what it takes to get a good polar alignment, a good goto alignment and good focus, and you get a better understanding where software can make things easier.

BTW the above titles do not mention what software runs on Linux, Mac or Windows. If you decide on a Raspberry Pi for autoguiding you may want to use lin_guider instead of PHD2, for instance.

By the time you started thinking about this you probably have done enough internet searches already that you know what software to choose. JT's list is then a good reference to make sure you did not miss anything.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Pauls72
Earth Ambassador

Post by Pauls72 »

SkyTools3 Professional version has a number of tools designed for imaging, including mount control.
SkyTools4 has separate Image and Visual editions. The Imaging version has recently been released.
https://www.skyhound.com/skytools_imaging.html
Max Nomad United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by Max Nomad »

Thanks for the list, JT!

If you're accepting additions, consider Astronomy Linux. It's a compilation of what feels like every free Linux-based Astronomy app out there (Stellarium, Sky Charts, all kinds of AP-related programs, etc.). It can be installed on a laptop or run inside of a virtual machine (VirtualBox, VMware) on Windows or Mac OS X.

https://astronomylinux.ap-i.net/en:start
SKYWARE: "BANNEKER" (Orion XT8 Classic w/ 9x50 RACI), "SOJOURNER" (Celestron NexStar 90 GT), "HARRIET" (Celestron Travel Scope 70), "THE NIKES" (Nikon WP 10x50 ATB), "SPOTTER" (8x56 Celestron Skymaster DX), "HAWK" (9x60 Oberwerk LW) and "GOGGLES" (2.3x42 Kasai Wide Field). EPs: (1.25") Plossl 6mm, 8 to 24 Zoom, 25mm, 32mm, 2X Barlow, 3X Barlow. SOFTWARE: Android (Camera FV-5, Daff Moon, Sky Map, SkyPortal, Heavens Above), Linux (Cartes du Ciel, Stellarium, BOINC SETI), Windows (Celestia, Starry Night 7, TheSkyX, TUBA, Adobe CS5)
localhost
Earth Ambassador

Post by localhost »

Ohhh well I didn't even notice their was a thread already made for this. I think a better name would've been some thing like 'Astronomy Software'
I was building a thread on some thing like this because it didn't look like their was a thread for them. The title for this thread didn't sound like it was anything to do with a Astronomy Software List.
Celestron Nexstar 5SE, Celestron Powerseeker 80EQ, Celestron Advanced VX, Astro-Tech AT72EDII
My Astro Blog: JustStarGazing.com
kenpresley United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Re: The Astro & AP Software Primer -- Wading Through The Disarray Of Titles

Post by kenpresley »

Very timely post, JT. Adapter kit for attaching Rebel T3 camera to my telescopes is arriving tomorrow (Monday 6/24). Yes, I am starting to wade into the AP pool. Will be a huge learning curve, but looking forward to it.
Thanks for the wealth of info.
ken
Telescopes: Orion Skyquest XT10 goto, Orion St80 on ES Twilight 1, Seestar s50
Binoculars: Celestron Skymaster 25-125x80 zoom
kenpresley United States of America
Earth Ambassador

Post by kenpresley »

"My 'ol brain needs some new learning."

Yes, I do too. Getting a little soft in retirement, so stepping into AP. Ordered attachment kit yesterday.
Telescopes: Orion Skyquest XT10 goto, Orion St80 on ES Twilight 1, Seestar s50
Binoculars: Celestron Skymaster 25-125x80 zoom
Pauls72
Earth Ambassador

Post by Pauls72 »

CCDciel is similar to Sequence Generator Pro. It runs on Windows, macOS and Linux. Best of all it's free.
https://www.ap-i.net/ccdciel/en/start
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ccdciel/
Baskevo
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Baskevo »

JT this is awesome! Thank you for this! I have a lot to experiment with now :D
-James W.

Telescope: Explore Scientific 80mm FCD100 Triplet APO Refractor
Mount: EQ6-R Pro
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro (Cooled) | Canon DSLR EOS T7i
Auto-guiding: ZWO ASI120mm-Mini + Astromania 50mm Guidescope

Filters: ZWO 31mm Ha/Oiii/Sii 7nm + LRGB | Orion 2" Skyglow Filter
Accessories: Explore Scientific 2" Field Flattener, ZWO EFW 8 Position
Software: APT, SharpCap Pro, PHD2, CPWI | PixInsight, DeepSkyStacker, Photoshop

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/gp/186194203@N06/18B629
chris_g United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by chris_g »

:text-thankyoublue: Totally awesome, thanks JT! Got this post bookmarked and will be referring to it often!
Image Cam: Canon 6D (Ha mod), 600D (Stock), SVBony SV405CC
Image OTA: EvoStar ED80, WO Z73, C8-A XLT
Mount: EQ6-R Pro Pier, AZ-EQ5 Pro Pier
Guide OTA: Orion 60mm, WO 32mm, ZWO OAG, SV501P
Guide Cam: ZWO 120mm, 290mm mini
EAA OTA: Orion ST80
EAA Cam: SVBony SV705C
EP: Baader Hyperion Modular Set
Filters: L-Pro Canon EOS C, L-eNhance, L-Pro, Optolong Ha 7mm, Optolong Oiii 6.5mm, Optolong Sii 6.5mm, ES H-Beta
Session Control: Mini PC/Win11 Pro, APT 4.1, PHD2 2.6.10
Processing: PixInsight, DSS 4.2.6, Adobe PS CC, Astronomy Tools Action Set, Star Spikes Pro