Starnet in PixInsight?

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Starnet in PixInsight?

Post by KathyNS »

I've been hearing a lot about the Starnet module for removing stars from an image. I downloaded and installed it, and it works beautifully as a standalone program. I was able to export a 16-bit TIF file (the only format it accepts) from PI, run Starnet to remove the stars, and then re-import the result into PI.

I haven't been able to figure out how to install it as a module in PI, which would make it a whole lot more convenient. Apparently it is possible; I just can't find the relevant instructions. Any ideas?

For reference, I am running Windows Pro v7. PixInsight is at version 1.8, and cannot be upgraded, since it is the highest version that will run on Win7.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
Peppy Canada
Moon Ambassador

Re: Starnet in PixInsight?

Post by Peppy »

I would also like to install as a module, thanks for reminding me.
Scopes, SW102/AZ, SW ED80, WO Z61, VRC 6, LX200 Classic 8, ZWO 60MM guide scope, ZWO mini guide scope.Mount,Skywatcher EQ6R-PRO, Ioptron zeq25.
Cams, Player One Uranus C pro, Cannon, T3 self mod, T2i self mod F/S, ZWO 120 mc.
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Hrm I have not heard of this. I usually used a star mask with mixed results.

Maybe ask over at the PI forums?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

It sounds from what I've heard on other forums like you need a Windows utility called AVX (no relation to the Celestron mount). If your computer doesn't have it, Starnet won't integrate into PI. It works fine as standalone, though.

It is way better than a PI star mask. I have never been able to tune a star mask so as to not include part of the background around the star. The result is often rings around the stars. Starnet isolates only the stars. It even includes some of the Newtonian diffraction spikes, though it leaves some behind, too.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
UlteriorModem
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by UlteriorModem »

Ah that's cool, got a link to this marvel?
Tom

Current Equipment:
Mount: Celestron CGX-L
Scope: 130mm f7 APO
Cam: ASI071mc-pro
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

The CPU needs to support avx instructions.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articl ... extensions
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Starnet

I should point out for anyone downloading Starnet that it needs some serious computer horsepower. Go away and have a coffee while it works, if you have a fast computer. Go cook supper and eat it, if you have a slow computer.
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

KathyNS wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:13 pm Starnet

I should point out for anyone downloading Starnet that it needs some serious computer horsepower. Go away and have a coffee while it works, if you have a fast computer. Go cook supper and eat it, if you have a slow computer.
Is it worst then stacking 150 subs in dss? Haha

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

For those just hearing about Starnet for the first time, here us my first experiment with it. I took the image you've already seen, NGC 1333, the revised version, removed the stars, created a stars-only version, fiddled with the nebula and the stars separately, then recombined them. I was blown away by the results.

Original:
LRGB_DBE-1000px.jpg
Stars removed (Starnet):
LRGB_DBE_s-1000px.jpg
Stars only (PixelMath = original - starnet version):
starsonly-1000px.jpg
Stars and nebula recombined (PixelMath = starnet version, edited + stars-only version, edited):
starnet_recombine-1000px.jpg