Auto polar alignment?

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Auto polar alignment?

Post by Gordon »

Since I have moved, I no longer am using a pier mount. So it's back to having to do a polar alignment for a while.

It's been years since I had to do an alignment so I would like to hear what everyone is currently using in the way of software. I have an Orion EQ6g mount.

I've looked at PHD2 as I used it a long time ago to setup and check my pier mount. I was using the 'drift alignment' tool. I know they have a new version also.

Thoughts?????
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Auto polar alignment?

Post by bobharmony »

I use the PHD drift alignment, and it gets me within a couple of arcminutes with about 10-15 minutes of tweaking, depending on how well I eyeballed the setup on a given night.

The newer tools in PHD2 are nice for getting in the ballpark, but I'm an old-school kind of guy :)

B0b
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

dritter
Moon Ambassador

Post by dritter »

It's been a couple of years since I imaged with my EQ6, but when I did I used the PHD drift alignment as well.

I usually first used the polar scope to get in the ballpark.

Then I would use the polar routines in the hand controller to get closer.

And the final touches were done through the PHD drift alignment procedure.

It sounds time consuming, and it is. But with practice it is not too bad and usually I could get all this done in the last hour of twilight before actual full darkness.
Dave
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KathyNS »

I don't believe in those newfangled electronic aids for polar alignment. When I do mine, about once a year or so, I use the polar scope, followed by a PHD2 drift alignment. In the field, I just use the polar scope.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
bladekeeper
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bladekeeper »

I've been using the polar alignment routine in SharpCap. Works pretty well for me. I've been able to achieve two-minute unguided subs with that method. :)

That feature may only be available with the Pro version (licensed) and not the free-to-use version.
Bryan
Scopes: Apertura AD12 f/5; Celestron C6-R f/8; ES AR127 f/6.4; Stellarvue SV102T f/7; iOptron MC90 f/13.3; Orion ST80A f/5; ES ED80 f/6; Celestron Premium 80 f/11.4; Celestron C80 f/11.4; Unitron Model 142 f/16; Meade NG60 f/10
Mounts: Celestron AVX; Bresser EXOS-2; ES Twilight I; ES Twilight II; iOptron Cube-G; AZ3/wood tripod; Vixen Polaris
Binoculars: Pentax PCF WP II 10×50, Bresser Corvette 10×50, Bresser Hunter 16×50 and 8×40, Garrett Gemini 12×60 LW, Gordon 10×50, Apogee 20×100

KenGS
Moon Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KenGS »

I authored the two new methods in PHD2. They both let you polar align when pointing at the polar region. Polar Drift Alignment (PDA) is a quick and easy way to get a pretty good PA within about 10'. It is limited by noise from e.g. poor seeing as it relies on very small drifts. Also, it needs an enhancement to reverse the indicated correction when used with an OAG or flipped image.
Static Polar Alignment (SPA) is more accurate than PDA but not as good as classic drift alignment. It is better suited to the southern hemisphere where there are several easily identifed stars around mag 7-8 near the pole and a couple of "pointer" stars of around mag 10 within 2' of the pole.
When I need to polar align I start with PDA to get fairly close then use SPA to set the set the OTA home position and do a final PA based on the pointers. Being in the southern hemisphere thats sufficient but if I were a northerner I'd probably follow up with a classic drift alignment as the most accurate method.
--Ken
GSO RC8 CF; Vixen 150mm F5 Newtonian c.1983; Super Polaris mount; DMD-1 controller; DIY Arduino controller; EQ6Pro mount; Synscan 3 controller; Avalon M-UNO; Vixen 60mm F12 refractor guidescope; Meade Lightbridge 12"; ASI1600MM-C; ATIK 420, Tamron 46A 70-210mm, ST80, Imaging Source DBK-21AU04-AS cam, Prostar/Toupcam GPCMOS0120KMB, ZWO ASI120MM-S, Bortle 5 sky.
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

I use no computer but the camera's LCD screen and a piece of clear tape with a pinprick hole. Put the mount in the home position and take a 30 sec image while slewing around RA fast. Mark the center of the tracks on the LCD with the tape by putting the hole on the center. Then use the alt az controls to move the NCP to the hole, taking 3 sec images. The NCP can be identified from an asterism of which the closest star is about 5' away.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

when i read auto polar alignment i think of an arduino with two stepper motors, one for the azimuth and one on the alt axis for the lat/left/right adjustment screws

I keep a 12mm illuminated reticle eyepiece in my kit ,it's enough for me to get me polar in under 25 mins if i ever go dslr only with no pc. phd drift alignment is my priority choice, i've never seen the south celestial pole ,i don't even think it's worth the hassle !
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1045

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

TSS EAA Messier awards

Post by Gordon »

KenGS wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:22 pm I authored the two new methods in PHD2. They both let you polar align when pointing at the polar region. Polar Drift Alignment (PDA) is a quick and easy way to get a pretty good PA within about 10'. It is limited by noise from e.g. poor seeing as it relies on very small drifts. Also, it needs an enhancement to reverse the indicated correction when used with an OAG or flipped image.
Static Polar Alignment (SPA) is more accurate than PDA but not as good as classic drift alignment. It is better suited to the southern hemisphere where there are several easily identifed stars around mag 7-8 near the pole and a couple of "pointer" stars of around mag 10 within 2' of the pole.
When I need to polar align I start with PDA to get fairly close then use SPA to set the set the OTA home position and do a final PA based on the pointers. Being in the southern hemisphere thats sufficient but if I were a northerner I'd probably follow up with a classic drift alignment as the most accurate method.
I did look at the SPA (I haven't tried it yet). I have used PDA quite a few times to both setup and check the alignment on my pier. Since I'm familiar with it and I'm in the northern hemisphere that will probably be what I will use.

Thanks very much for your hard work on PHD2. It's a great tool that has served me well for years!
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

My telescope is in the garden on a brick patio and I've countersunk three indentations in the brick in the hope that the tripod feet will be in exactly the same position each time. My pc is in the garage on the other end of 5m usb leads and I can't see the screen from the telescope so I set up with an eye piece and the hand controller. After doing a 2 star alignment and adding a few calibration stars I go through the polar alignment procedure. It's never bang on because I haven't got a reticle eye piece. Then I put a camera in, rebalance, retire to the garage and set up again using the Celestron CPWI software without using the All Star Polar Alignment routine because I can't see the screen from the, well, you know! Maybe I should try again to rope in my son to help! This week I've set up plate solving in APT but I've not used it in anger yet because it keeps raining!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/