Nebulosity question

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
PapaFox
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Nebulosity question

Post by PapaFox »

Trying to get my AP set up going, but I've had another snag. I have 2 zwo cameras, one for guiding and one for imaging. Each in a different USB port on my laptop running windows. I can get phd2 up and running fine. When I run Nebulosity, it asks what kind of camera, I let it know ZWO. It wants to use my guiding camera. How can I tell my laptop to use the other?

Just occurred to me it may be as simple as switching ports.
SV70T, celestron 8" sct, avx, polemaster, zwo 224, zwo 178,
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Nebulosity question

Post by Star Dad »

I have a similar situation. When you select the ZWO camera Nebulosity will bring up "Available cameras" dialog and you select which one you want to use. Sounds to me like perhaps you don't actually have both cameras plugged in or perhaps a bad USB slot. You don't say which cameras you have - I know that my (brand new) ASI294MC and the ASI120MM only work on one of my USB slots - actually it's a SATA drive slot on my DELL XPS 15 - it's an older model (7 years old). So it could be a USB slot problem as well. I bought a USB 3.0 hub to connect both cameras to the one slot.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
PapaFox
Mars Ambassador

Post by PapaFox »

Thanks for the input. I have a zwo 224 and zwo 178. Found out I had a bad cable. Jus ordered a new one, it should be here just in time for the cloudy weekend. I have an Acer laptop that's a couple years old running windows 10. Hopefully the new cable will be the answer.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Good - I hope the new cable solves it for you. It turns out despite Dell saying I have 2 USB3.0 and 1 eSATA drive, I have in fact 2 USB2.0 ports. Although the slots are labelled "SS" (Super Speed) according the device manager they are "High Speed" which is a euphemism for USB2.0 . The eSATA is listed as a USB 3.0 port, though I cannot determine what speed it is actually at. So be aware that may also be your case.

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
PapaFox
Mars Ambassador

Post by PapaFox »

Star Dad wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:49 pm I have a similar situation. When you select the ZWO camera Nebulosity will bring up "Available cameras" dialog and you select which one you want to use.

Yep, it was a bad cable, switched to the new cable and the dialog box came up with two choices. I like easy fixes.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

:banana-dance: YAY! :banana-dance: