SkyTools 4 Upgrade

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
omeek United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

SkyTools 4 Upgrade

Post by omeek »

I finally upgraded from SkyTools 3 to SkyTools 4 (with the 50% discount). I haven't dug in too deep yet but so far I really like it. As far as aesthetics are concerned I think 4 is much easier on the eyes and certain things are more streamlined (creating observing lists and how they are grouped/stored). It is extremely similar to 3 as far as functionality goes so if you've used that version there is a very minimal learning curve.

It has a much improved interface while keeping the same level of options and abilities. I haven't spent a lot of time digging in to all the changes so far but my first impression is that it feels much more streamlined and a lot more intuitive than ST3. Definitely worth the money if, like me, you tend to use planning software (of course I still take an atlas out with me for every session). :D
-Oliver
Telescopes: Orion XT8i, Zhumell Z12
EP's: Baader Ortho 6mm, Orion Expanse 9mm, Tele Vue 10mm Delos, ES 68° 16mm, ES 68° 24mm, 2" Q70 32mm, 2x Orion Shorty Barlow (and various Plossls)
Bino's: 12x42, 12x60
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: SkyTools 4 Upgrade

Post by kt4hx »

I just upgraded mine today Oliver. While I had not planned to do so, since any support for ST3, to include updating of the supernova, minor planet and comet lists, was going to end, I decided it was worth it to go head for half price. It certainly looks different, though some things are the same or similar. Just another learning curve to catch up on the changes. Hope you enjoy it.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)