MultiStar Guiding with PHD2

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

MultiStar Guiding with PHD2

Post by starfield »

Just noticed over on CloudyNights that PHD2 has added multi star guiding. Some of the early reports look promising and I'm really curious if multiple guide stars will average out some of the seeing variability you get with one star. Plan on giving it a whirl tonight to see what kind of impact it has. If cloud gods cooperate I'll let you know what I find.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: MultiStar Guiding with PHD2

Post by JayTee »

Yes, they released it as a Dev release (not as a version update). They're wringing out the bugs (they are mostly gone). I'll be trying it soon.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I saw the thread on CN. It looks promising. I have a couple of thoughts about whether it could improve dither settle time or make the drift alignment tool run more smoothly with my rickety old mount!

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

As I should have known, challenged the cloud gods and so was playing tag with them all night. With that said, the dev version worked ok for me and did seem to improve my guiding. Overall the guiding with multi-star just seemed a bit quieter once I turned it on. I'll need clearer skies to get a better read on this but definitely seems like a nice improvement.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Quick update... I've used the multi-star guiding a couple of sessions and it's definitely a keeper for my rig. I'm seeing roughly a 15-20% improvement in my guiding. This seems to be consistent with what some folks on Cloudy Nights are seeing. It really seems to help early in the evening when the atmosphere is still churning.
Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Thanks a bunch for this post. I also saw a thread on CN. Mixed bag of results, but I am looking forward to trying it.

My AVX has some inherent tracking/guiding issues, but any improvement is a good thing! 15-20% a HUGE improvement and it's free. Can't beat that!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

I just installed PHD2 v2.6.9dev2 which introduced the multi-star guiding feature. I am looking forward to trying it out during the next new Moon cycle in January. Fingers crossed for positive results!

Enabling it was simple - click the "use multiple stars" box in the Guiding tab under the "Brain" Icon and enable "Auto-select star" under the "Tools" menu. All other parameters seem to have copied forward from my last release.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

bobharmony wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 2:48 am I just installed PHD2 v2.6.9dev2 which introduced the multi-star guiding feature. I am looking forward to trying it out during the next new Moon cycle in January. Fingers crossed for positive results!

Enabling it was simple - click the "use multiple stars" box in the Guiding tab under the "Brain" Icon and enable "Auto-select star" under the "Tools" menu. All other parameters seem to have copied forward from my last release.

Bob

Good to hear Bob.

Any improvement at all for free is a no brainer for me.

I will also install the new dev version to hopefully try out in January also.

Thanks for the info!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

For what it's worth. I've had no problems with dev version. Free + better guiding is a win for me. Not sure it has real impact on my stars, but the improvements could make a difference particularly on nights when seeing is bad.
Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I downloaded the new version yesterday. Hopefully I will get some sky time in the next few days to give it a run.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by starfield »

Anybody else try this out? I'm getting consistently good results with this new feature, especially on nights when the seeing is wonky .
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Yes sir. I tried it the last two sessions and I really cannot say how much it has helped, but it sure hasn't hurt!
I would say that guiding was better than it normally is. Any improvement is for certain a good thing!

The version that I installed was dev2. I have since installed dev3 because it states in the release notes that "Graph stats: exclude dither recovery frames from stats" which I have been looking forward to.

Definitely a keeper for sure!
Jim

Gordon United States of America
Site Admin
Site Admin
Articles: 1037

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Gordon »

I found it to be a great addition!

Seems to have “tightened up” my guiding.
Gordon
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED80CF, Skywatcher 200 Quattro Imaging Newt, SeeStar S50 for EAA.
Mounts: Orion Atlas EQ-g mount & Skywatcher EQ5 Pro.
ZWO mini guider.
Image cameras: ZWO ASI1600 MM Cool, ZWO ASI533mc-Pro, ZWO ASI174mm-C (for use with my Quark chromosphere), ZWO ASI120MC
Filters: LRGB, Ha 7nm, O-III 7nm, S-II 7nm
Eyepieces: a few.
Primary software: Cartes du Ciel, N.I.N.A, StarTools V1.4.

bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Positive results here as well, based on my one session since installing. RMS dropped from .7" to .5". Nice round starts in the center all the subs.

Bob

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Dev v3 is working fine with my system. I've noticed at least a 10%, maybe 15% improvement in Total RMS numbers. No crashes. Worth a try. If you find issues, make sure you report them.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

hmm, i don't think i've updated my phd in like 2+ years (if it ain't broken then don't fix it),so it will be intresting to give it an update, sometimes my pick off only finds 1 star :(
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:02 pm hmm, i don't think i've updated my phd in like 2+ years (if it ain't broken then don't fix it),so it will be intresting to give it an update, sometimes my pick off only finds 1 star :(
Hopefully, you still have the installer file for the version you have that's working just fine. That way if you do have any issues you can go back to a known good source. Or figure out a way of installing the new version without overwriting the old version, maybe under a different user account.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com