Dither settings

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Dither settings

Post by KathyNS »

I have never really paid much attention to dithering. I know it is a good thing, so I turned it on. Now I'm thinking that I should probably tune it up a bit. I have no idea what good settings are.

In SGP, dithering is set to "Medium", whatever that is. In PHD2, Dither Scale is set to 0.1, whatever that means. I had RA Only selected in order to speed up settling, and I know I should turn that off.

What does the combination of Medium and 0.1 do for me? Is there a better combination that I should use? My imaging scale is 1.2"/px. My guiding scale is 6.6"/px.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Dither settings

Post by DEnc »

My understanding is that the SGP dither settings, small – extreme, give displacements of 0.5, 1, 2, 3, and 5 pixels; and the PHD2 settings are multipliers.

How much to dither? The only concrete statement I’ve run across (rather than opinion and experience of “what works”, which of course are perfectly valid) is from John Hayes over on CN:--

Dithering has to be greater than the autocorrelation distance of the image. This is the distance where features are statistically uncorrelated (i.e. random) across the image. In simple terms that means that the dithering distance has to be larger than the spatial scale of the features that you want to eliminate. This distance varies with the type of the sensor. On my KAI-16803 sensor, 6-9 pixels works pretty well. CMOS sensors typically require a larger distance but again it will depend on the sensor. I'd recommend trying something in the range of 9-15 pixels with an OSC CMOS camera.

I took an empirical approach and extracted the lock position values from the PHD2 GuideLog in Excel, and calculated the Pythagorean distance between successive locks. I did this for combinations of SGP and PHD2 settings. Here’s an example of one session. These are guide camera pixels—I didn’t convert to the equivalent displacements on the imaging camera. There's quite a range of distances! I went with settings that gave at least 5 pixel displacement on the imaging camera, predominantly.
Dither.jpg
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

I think [mention]STEVE333[/mention] is really good at this answer.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Yes, JT, Steve is really good at dither settings. Looking forward to his response.

Kathy, My imaging scale is similar to yours at 1.33”/px with a guiding camera image scale of about 6”/px.With my dslr, I used a dither setting in APT of 3 with a random dither scale of 1.0 in PHD2. By my calculations, the guide camera dither of 3 pixels (3x1) Times the ratio of guide camera image scale to imaging camera image scale (6/1.33) gave me dithers of about 15 pixels at the imaging camera. I dithered every frame. This is what it took to eliminate the “rain” in my images.
With my new camera (ASI 533), I use a dither setting of 1 (px) in APT x the 1.0 scale in PHD2 to give me a 5 px dither (roughly) at the imaging camera. I dither every other frame. The lower and less frequent dithers are enough to eliminate “walking noise” in my imsges and is much less of a recovery time for my mount.

For me, less is better for mount and also less cropping when processing.
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), ZWO OAG, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, ASI 220mm mini , IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

do you use sgp kathy ? there should be more brief settings in there. i use the maximum this helps to dither out internal reflections
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

yobbo89 wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:20 pm do you use sgp kathy ? there should be more brief settings in there. i use the maximum this helps to dither out internal reflections
Yes, I use SGP. My options there are Small, Medium, High, Very High, and Extreme. Someone said these correspond to 0.5, 1, 2, <something more> and <something even more> guide camera pixels. Which is then multiplied by the setting in PHD. There is a mount guiding rate as well, which I have set to 0.8, though I don't know if that applies to dithering or not.

After starting to research this more, I have set SGP to Medium (= 1 guide camera pixel), PHD2 to 1.1, which should give me a dither of about 6 imaging camera pixels. Which may or may not actually be 4.8 pixels if the guiding rate applies. Does that make sense?

I am guessing that my dithering to date has been fractions of a pixel, which is good for the settling time, but not so useful for noise reduction.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
starfield United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

AP Processing Challenge

Post by starfield »

I remember posting a similar question and seem to remember the rule of thumb was to shoot for 10 to 15 imaging pixels. I used a Very High Dither setting and no multiplier in PHD2 which takes gets me close to a 10 px dither.
Scopes: Esprit 100, 12.5" Telekit Dob
Camera: 294 MC Pro, 224 mc, 2600mm
Guiding: ZWO 290 mini on 120mm guide scope
Mounts: EQ6R-Pro, EQ Platform.
Filters: Optolong L-Pro & L-Enhance, Chroma 36mm LRGB, 5nm HA, 3nm OIII, 3nm SII.
Software: SharpCap, SGP, StarTools 1.7, Photoshop, Pixinsight
The Death Star Observatory
Astro Photos:https://www.astrobin.com/users/starfield/
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

KathyNS wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:49 pm Someone said these correspond to 0.5, 1, 2, <something more> and <something even more> guide camera pixels. Which is then multiplied by the setting in PHD.
"Someone"? "Something"?

I'm out of here.