SGPro and a Problem with Image Centering after Meridian flip

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

SGPro and a Problem with Image Centering after Meridian flip

Post by mbocca »

I have been having a problem with centering the target in Sequence Generator Pro after the meridian flip. I have have not seen addressed in other posts and I posted it on Main Sequence as well.

Due to cabling on my system I do not do automated meridian flips. Usually, a sequence is set up to run and sometime after the flip should occur, I will manually pause the sequence, reacquire the target using Stellarium (this will force the flip), and go back to SGPro. There, I will do a Center to get the target re-centered. The centering will do a successful plate solve, compute where to drive the mount based on the previous center, and do a small correction. If the first solve gets me within 50 pixels, no problem, but if it needs to make a second adjustment, it will send the RA Axis 180 degrees, with the telescope facing the ground.

I am not sure if SGPro is unaware of the flip since it was done in Stellarium, but they both are talking to the mount. If anyone is familiar with SGPro log files and can offer some assistance, I would appreciate it. The log from last weekend can be fond at the link below. All of the action takes place starting at 03:32:43 after the sequence pause is detected.

Please take a look and let me know how to get this to work properly. It happened two nights in a row. After the second night I started to look into the logs to see if I could spot something.

Any suggestions are welcome. I have considered making two sequences, but with the power of SGPro, I figure it is user error. One thing I neglected to check after the flip was how long SGPro thought it was until the next flip. Next time it is in this situation I will make note of that.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/twp65uac0ctwc ... 4.log?dl=0

Thanks for looking.
Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SGPro and a Problem with Image Centering after Meridian flip

Post by yobbo89 »

Im pretty sure you can get sgp to pause and wait for the user to hit OK for the flip, no need to do it in stellarium.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

After this error can your scope park do its home position from facing the ground? Or is the Ra location permantly out sync?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Yobbo,

I will have to investigate doing the flip manually in SGPro. Maybe I could just do the re-center request without going to Stellarium and SGPro will do the flip. I didn't think of that before.

As for the sync, the first night it ended up hitting the end of travel stop so sync was lost. The second night I didn't allow it to get that far. I shut the mount down. Both nights I did a quick two star align to get positioning back.

Thanks for the questions.
Mike
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

you should be able to use sgp without stellarium, i use stellarium because it's a quick way for me to know if the target is in fov ie not obstructed by the house roof , i think you just need some clear sky, because some reason it will want to plate solve any location first then slew then solve again . so sgp plate solve from park postion might not work for some depending where you are parked.

anyway it sounds like it could be any reason, a bug, loose usb cord (this gives me sync problems the most) , one software overiding another ectt . good luck finding it, i'll give your log a brief look at, i'm not realy that software diagnostic savy though

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

part of your log, just woundering if you are using the manual rotator ,by my understanding, this needs to be activated . i have sgp version 2 . plate solve simply gives you the angle of the target and you go to your manual rotator settings and type in the angle and hit sync .
[08/08/20 22:17:56.841][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][CE;] Could not sync the rotator to 132.56 degrees (not connected)!
[08/08/20 22:17:56.843][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][CE;] Auto center complete...
[08/08/20 22:17:56.848][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][CE;] Close centering dialog...
[08/08/20 22:17:56.849][DEBUG][Telescope Thread][NONE] Center telescope message completed...

sgp rotate.jpg

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Yobbo,

Thank you for the link to the Log tool. I downloaded it but have not done much with it yet. I will try to get it deciphered before I go out tonight.

As for the manual rotator, I do not have that checked. I will verify that tonight when I am out, but plate solving has never mentioned a problem with the image rotation being too far off.

Again,
Thanks
Mike