Installed KStars on Buster

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Installed KStars on Buster

Post by SkyHiker »

Last night I installed KStars on a Pi that I had lying around. KStars is a planetarium program from which Ekos can be launched. Ekos is an INDI-based astronomy equipment configuration and control program. This is all on the Linux OS, which makes it worth while to talk about it because it is a bit uncommon but can also run on cheap low power systems. Ekos is quite complete. It can control domes, focusers, autoguiders, derotators, mounts, imaging cameras, does goto and polar alignment, plate solving, and runs schedules. It offers a choice of 3 autoguiding algorithms among which PHD2 and lin_guider.

Following the directions from Indilib I first installed the Buster release of the Raspbian OS. It is quite an improvement over Wheezy and Jessie, especially the GUI-based installation of a VNC server for remote access. I dial into it over ethernet from my Galaxy Tab A with a USB-Ethernet adapter. WiFi works OK just slower, and ethernet is easier in the field where there is no router. Ekos offers the choice of having the GUI and equipment server running both on the Pi, or just the server so you can offload the GUI to a Windows laptop (it can be installed on both Windows and Linux).

The installation went smooth and quickly. After noticing that not too many stars were displayed I added another catalog with up to 12th magnitude stars, and that worked well. Not a bad alternative to Stellarium.

I then tested Ekos on my G11S and SSAG autoguider. I had to define my G11S with the EQStar controller box as a Synscan mount of subtype EQMOD. They both connected. I was able to use the mount controls for slewing and tracking. It was daytime so I tested that the autoguider camera worked by moving my hand in front of it, and played with the gain. Ekos has lots of tabs to configure various features.

The one gotcha is that the ethernet/USB adapter on the Droid got quite warm, and was slowly draining the battery. When I get accustomed to it I should not have to be connected all the time, just to set it up. So hopefully the power drain won't be too bad.

Just a heads up, this looks quite nice. I will report how it performs hopefully by tomorrow. Clear skies all week here.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Installed KStars on Buster

Post by ARock »

Are you connecting the tablet directly to the pi over ethernet? Do you need any extra software for this?
Or do you just set static IPs for both the Pi and Tablet on the same subnet?

Which version of the Pi do you have?
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am Are you connecting the tablet directly to the pi over ethernet?
Yes, through the adapter. If you want one, check very carefully your Droid version and look up which adapters work. I learned the hard way, the first one was wrong.
ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am Do you need any extra software for this?
No.
ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am Or do you just set static IPs for both the Pi and Tablet on the same subnet?
I use a static IP address on the Pi.
ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:30 am Which version of the Pi do you have?
2B I believe. I want low power so 3 is barely acceptable, 4 is out. Well unless it has power management like the Beagle but the original Pi does not have that.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
ARock
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by ARock »

Good to know it can be done.
I moved away from the Pis a while back, have a Android Tv Box (4GB RAM) running Armbian now. I could not get a wifi hotspot on it to work, so I use a USB powered travel router, which works, but it is one more item to carry around and power. I have an old ethernet to USB cable, if it works, I could use it as a backup in case the router acts up/fails.
AR
Scopes: Zhumell Z8, Meade Adventure 80mm, Bushnell 1300x100 Goto Mak.
Mount: ES EXOS Nano EQ Mount, DIY Arduino+Stepper drives.
AP: 50mm guidescope, AR0130 based guidecam, Canon T3i, UHC filter.
EPs: ES82 18,11,6.7mm, Zhumell 30,9mm FJ Ortho 9mm, assorted plossls, Meade 2x S-F Barlow, DGM NPB filter.
Binos: Celestron Skymaster 15x70 (Albott tripod/monopod), Nikon Naturalist 7x35.
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 am Good to know it can be done.
I moved away from the Pis a while back, have a Android Tv Box (4GB RAM) running Armbian now. I could not get a wifi hotspot on it to work, so I use a USB powered travel router, which works, but it is one more item to carry around and power. I have an old ethernet to USB cable, if it works, I could use it as a backup in case the router acts up/fails.
That will most likely not work. Check the vendors table for a proper adapter for your Droid hardware, they are not expensive. I found a table somewhere on Amazon, the vendor linked it.
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:33 pm Last night I installed KStars on a Pi that I had lying around. KStars is a planetarium program from which Ekos can be launched. Ekos is an INDI-based astronomy equipment configuration and control program. This is all on the Linux OS, which makes it worth while to talk about it because it is a bit uncommon but can also run on cheap low power systems. Ekos is quite complete. It can control domes, focusers, autoguiders, derotators, mounts, imaging cameras, does goto and polar alignment, plate solving, and runs schedules. It offers a choice of 3 autoguiding algorithms among which PHD2 and lin_guider.

Following the directions from Indilib I first installed the Buster release of the Raspbian OS. It is quite an improvement over Wheezy and Jessie, especially the GUI-based installation of a VNC server for remote access. I dial into it over ethernet from my Galaxy Tab A with a USB-Ethernet adapter. WiFi works OK just slower, and ethernet is easier in the field where there is no router. Ekos offers the choice of having the GUI and equipment server running both on the Pi, or just the server so you can offload the GUI to a Windows laptop (it can be installed on both Windows and Linux).

The installation went smooth and quickly. After noticing that not too many stars were displayed I added another catalog with up to 12th magnitude stars, and that worked well. Not a bad alternative to Stellarium.

I then tested Ekos on my G11S and SSAG autoguider. I had to define my G11S with the EQStar controller box as a Synscan mount of subtype EQMOD. They both connected. I was able to use the mount controls for slewing and tracking. It was daytime so I tested that the autoguider camera worked by moving my hand in front of it, and played with the gain. Ekos has lots of tabs to configure various features.

The one gotcha is that the ethernet/USB adapter on the Droid got quite warm, and was slowly draining the battery. When I get accustomed to it I should not have to be connected all the time, just to set it up. So hopefully the power drain won't be too bad.

Just a heads up, this looks quite nice. I will report how it performs hopefully by tomorrow. Clear skies all week here.
Sounds very interesting.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

turboscrew wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:49 am [Sounds very interesting.
Yes in.fact for your project if you wanted to go Alt/Az, plate solving is what you need to get an accurate goto, good enough for AP. If it gets the center of rotation in the center of the FOV then a derotator should work well. Autoguiding would still have to be solved though if the guide star is not at that center, its offset needs to be compensated for.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Yep, and it seems to combine pretty much all that I was thinking about, and then some.
And I happen to have an idle RPi 2B somewhere.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

ARock wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:13 am Good to know it can be done.
I forgot to mention that you need a cross-over ethernet cable, not a straight-through. It is just meant for connecting 2 computers directly, this works on Windows the same way.
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Yes, cross-over is needed, unless your computer does that automatically. Quite many modern chips can sense the Tx/RX pins and can swap them internally. Another trend is not using PHYs but switch-chips.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by SkyHiker »

I got the 11 lbs. counterweight and the new 60 Ncm steppers. I fitted the connectors of the motors with electrical tape, will have to fix that. The motors work fine, I power them from the EQStar at 70% because at 100% they get a bit warm. I can probably up it to 85% if I need to.

I put the EQStar controller and Pi with KStars together on a plank that is held in place where the Celestron controller used to be. Having everything together cuts down on the wiring mess. I disconnected the ST4 cable because with Ekos I get pulse guiding, let's see what that can do.
IMG_0866.JPG
IMG_0863.JPG
IMG_0860.JPG
IMG_0861.JPG
IMG_0862.JPG
I played with Ekos a bit more and also found out how I can use KStars for alignment and goto. Pretty impressive for such a small box. I should be able to hook up my Canon T7 for plate solving. I will save that for later.