SGP Plate solving

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
mbocca United States of America
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

SGP Plate solving

Post by mbocca »

Hi,

I wanted to get some input as to what my plate solving woes may be. I have two scopes, an ES ED102 and an Edge1100HD. I have four equipment profiles stored, two for each, one for my Nikon D7100 and one for my ASI1600mmPro. All profiles use the PlaneWave routine built into SGPro.

Plate solving works for both profiles for the ED102 scope. For the Edge100HD, if I take a Frame & Focus image and ask it to plate solve, it will solve and give the correct location. If I ask SGPro to slew to an image that was previously captured, it fails.

When I plate solve off of a Frame and Focus image, the correct image scale is shown (0.28"/pixel), and that is the value in the equipment profile.

I have been using SGPro for about 18 months, and most of that is with the ED102. When I use the Edge1100HD, it is always more time consuming to get on target, and pier-flip is not an option since it won't return to the target automatically.

Any suggestions for things to check would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 Triplet APO, Celestron Edge 1100HD, Orion ST80
Mounts: Celestron CGE Pro, SkyWatcher Star Adventurer
Cameras: ZWO ASI1600mm Pro, Nikon D7100, Orion SSAG, ZWO ASI120MC
Control Software: Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2, ASCOM, Stellarium
Post Processing: PixInsight, GIMP 2.0
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: SGP Plate solving

Post by OhNo »

For the long focal length of the SCT your Center Pixel error may be too low.
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

I can only solve a captured frame fits file. Will not do a solve on a saved frame and focus image that has been reloaded.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

As ohno mentioned, you could try setting the solved settings to 2x2 bin for the camera
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

The reason I Suggested what I did was based on a couple things. When I swap out my scope/Camera combo from a 800 focal length to a 2032 focal length it becomes a real PITA to get the target centered. And Yobbo89 may be on to something I forgot about. The long focal length rig would require a longer exposure time or like yobbo says 2x2 binning to get an image with bright enough stars showing for any plate solving program to work.

I have experienced this with a couple capture programs. I opted for capturing my plate solve image at 2x2 binning. Works like a champ now. I also changed my plate solving program, which decreased the solving time to next to nothing compared to what I was using before...
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Yobbo/OhNo,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was considering 2x2 as an approach, but will also increase the exposure now as well. I think by default, it set it to 5 seconds. Increasing to 2x2 will give me a 4x intensity, and maybe increase to 10 seconds may be enough. That would explain the success on Frame&Focus since it was a longer exposure.

Ohno: What plate solving did you switch to?

Mike
OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

ASTAP
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

using bin 2x2 will not give you a brighter image ie more signal when using a cmos chip, that is strictly for ccd camera technology.

it seems mbocca is using an asi1600 which is a cmos chip, using bin 2x2 will scale down the resolution incase there is any oversampling which could help plate solve find a better centroid on the stars .and this will quicken the download speeds per frame so they can be analyzed , the frame may seem to be brighter but they don't containt more signal , the diagnamic ranged has been reduced when using bin on a cmos chip .

lostone United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by lostone »

mbocca wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:50 pm Yobbo/OhNo,

Thank you for the suggestions. I was considering 2x2 as an approach, but will also increase the exposure now as well. I think by default, it set it to 5 seconds. Increasing to 2x2 will give me a 4x intensity, and maybe increase to 10 seconds may be enough. That would explain the success on Frame&Focus since it was a longer exposure.

Ohno: What plate solving did you switch to?

Mike
I use Platesolve and have always used 2x2 for my platesolve, Also the exposure time will depend on your filter you use. If i'm shooting with a OSC and a filter in the slider I use 10-15 seconds. If I'm using my Mono setup, I have the filterwheel move to my lumance filter and do a 5 sec exposure. There has been times when I needed to bump it up to 10 sec depending on the area of the sky. Some areas are bright than others.
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most! :tease:

Scope: Explorer Scientific 127CF, Askar FR600, Planewave CDK 14""
Guide Scope & Camera: ASI 174, ZWO OAG-L
Camera: QHY 268 Mono, QHY 600 Mono
Mount: Planewave L-350, Skywatcher EQ8-Rh Pro, Losmandy G11
Accessories: Moonlite Nitecrawler WR30, WR35, Eagle 3&4 Pro, QHY CFW3/7 Filterwheel, QHY Polemaster,
Software: N.I.N.A., CdC, Planewave 3, Pixinsight
Mars Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by mbocca »

Thanks for the follow-up. I did figure out the problem. The scope is 2800mm so the FOV is pretty low. I do use Lum for the filter with the mono camera. The key was bumping up the exposure to get a few more stars to work on. At 2800mm and f10, the system just did not have enough information to work properly.

Mike