StellariumScope questions

Discuss software associated with Astronomy!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

StellariumScope questions

Post by SkyHiker »

I am having some trouble with StellariumScope and can't find the answer in the manual. Here are my questions:

1) When I start StellariumScope, the initial position of the scope is somewhere far West instead of the home position (NCP) where I expected it to be. Can the initial position be configured somehow? I noticed the simulator indeed starts at the NCP but when I select HEQ5/EQ6 it does not.

2) Is it possible to click on a star and tell Stellarium that that's the star it is pointing at, so it syncs and moves the telescope indicator to that star?

Thanks in advance!
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: StellariumScope questions

Post by Star Dad »

Mmmm, I am trying to recall how I set it up. So this is kind of foggy memory - but here goes. StellariumScope (SS) needs ASCOM - or at least in my case that is what I use. So ASCOM starts in the home position. I moved the RA/DEC axis with the mount off to as close to the NCP as possible. I believe that SS reads what ASCOM is telling it... I do not believe that SS actually reads the encoders on the mount.

The reason I say this is that when I use my PolarScope (camera + software) to align the mount, if the telescope (ie RA or DEC) are not perfectly aligned as well, AstroTorilla (AT)(plate solver) has to slew the scope to get my first object centered. Thereafter AT does not usually have to move the scope, as it is spot on. So I suspect the error is on ASCOM, if you are using it. If not, I haven't a clue. I hope this helps you.

I do not believe you can tell SS what star you are pointing at-it is basically an interface... I can find nowhere to set positioning information in SS.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

do you have use jnow enabled ?
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

Star Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm Mmmm, I am trying to recall how I set it up. So this is kind of foggy memory - but here goes. StellariumScope (SS) needs ASCOM - or at least in my case that is what I use. So ASCOM starts in the home position. I moved the RA/DEC axis with the mount off to as close to the NCP as possible. I believe that SS reads what ASCOM is telling it... I do not believe that SS actually reads the encoders on the mount.
Thanks that clarifies some things.
Star Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm The reason I say this is that when I use my PolarScope (camera + software) to align the mount, if the telescope (ie RA or DEC) are not perfectly aligned as well, AstroTorilla (AT)(plate solver) has to slew the scope to get my first object centered. Thereafter AT does not usually have to move the scope, as it is spot on. So I suspect the error is on ASCOM, if you are using it. If not, I haven't a clue. I hope this helps you.
I polar align first too. I haven't tried AT yet but after PA and a one star alignment things worked OK last time.
Star Dad wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:36 pm I do not believe you can tell SS what star you are pointing at-it is basically an interface... I can find nowhere to set positioning information in SS.
I think you are right, the manual looks like it is just an interface.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:51 pm do you have use jnow enabled ?
I haven't checked, just use the default options. What could that have to do with it?
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

henk, what mount are you exacctly running ? if you have dual encoders, this isn't officaly supported, and can produce errors as such.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:22 pm
I haven't checked, just use the default options. What could that have to do with it?
i'm not too up to date with the terminology of j2000, jnow, i assume it's some language/cordinates that the mount is talking with, i read that stellerium works best with jnow , but i guess it depends on your mount.

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

yobbo89 wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:31 pm
SkyHiker wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:22 pm
i'm not too up to date with the terminology of j2000, jnow, i assume it's some language/cordinates that the mount is talking with, i read that stellerium works best with jnow , but i guess it depends on your mount.
Ah of course the J from Julian. I thought it was some Java thing (JSON) but 3 cups of coffee later I get it. The differences between J2000 and Jnow fall easily within my FOV I think.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

Hi Henk,

I hope you don't mind, but I have a rather tangential question for you.

Is there a reason why you're not using either Cartes du Ciel or SkyTech X (both are free) to control the mount. Both of those titles will see the ASCOM drivers and allow you to slew and sync the mount quite easily. Although the user interface is different with these programs, SkyTech X will allow you to use the HIPS background so it looks even better than stellarium.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

JayTee wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm I hope you don't mind, but I have a rather tangential question for you.
Of course not! Fire away, please.
JayTee wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 9:22 pm Is there a reason why you're not using either Cartes du Ciel or SkyTech X (both are free) to control the mount. Both of those titles will see the ASCOM drivers and allow you to slew and sync the mount quite easily. Although the user interface is different with these programs, SkyTech X will allow you to use the HIPS background so it looks even better than stellarium.
There's no reason why I don't use them, it's just that I am familiar with Stellarium. I think I now understand how to sync. If I roughly point my scope to the initial position of SS then goto Polaris and sync, then sync again on Vega, I should be good. So I think it will work out.

Of course, CDC and SkyTech X will have to interface with EQMOD, I suppose since they are ASCOM based it should be OK.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by JayTee »

SkyHiker wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:12 am Of course, ASCOM drivers">CDC and SkyTech X will have to interface with EQMOD, I suppose since they are ASCOM based it should be OK.
It'll work well.
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6R, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100 ∞ AP Gear: ZWO EAF and mini EFW and the Optolong L-eXteme filter
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by SkyHiker »

To close the subject, I got used to EQMOD's idiosyncrasies and can work around them. Star Dad is probably right that the initial position is determined by an ASCOM object somewhere.

What I ended up doing is to first let Stellarium go-to the star that I want to sync on, then connect the motors, aim the scope at it with the Telrad, center the star in the eyepiece then sync it in Stellarium. After that it works fine.

I have a feeling that ASCOM queries the EQStar unit about what it's doing because I see a different behavior when I have it turned on vs. not, for instance if you disconnect to try to abort a goto that was started. It may resume it or not, depending.