Radiation Cells

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
seer
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 0

Radiation Cells

Post by seer »

I was just watching the Weekly Space Hangout and they were talking about space probes using solar cells to save on plutonium. It got me to wondering why we don't have cell that can use other radiation. I heard that Jupiter puts out loads of radiation. Why can't we use that?
Donald
Tasco BRK Essentials Model: 169735 7x35, Celestron Cometron 7x50, Bushnell 10x50 Legacy WP, Oberwerk 15x70 LW, Meade Infinity 60mm AZ Refractor, Bushnell Deep Space 3 inch Reflector, Meade Polaris 80mm EQ Refractor, Meade Polaris 114mm Reflector.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Radiation Cells

Post by AntennaGuy »

1. The visible light from Jupiter is simply reflected light from the sun. So the sun is the primary source. (Earth's moon is actually unusually bright, but good luck using that reflected sunlight to gather much power via solar cells.)
2. Solar cells require photons with sufficient individual energy to kick electrons between bands in certain semiconductors. Longer wavelength (e.g., infrared) photons (such as might be emitted by cooler objects) don't carry that individual energy. There has been some work on infrared solar cells. For example, see http://news.mit.edu/2012/infrared-photovoltaic-0621. See also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_cel ... olar_cells .
3. Do you have some other form of radiation in mind? E.g., RF/microwave radiation? Collecting charged particles in Jupiter's magnetosphere, perhaps?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Radiation Cells

Post by notFritzArgelander »

seer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:04 pm I was just watching the Weekly Space Hangout and they were talking about space probes using solar cells to save on plutonium. It got me to wondering why we don't have cell that can use other radiation. I heard that Jupiter puts out loads of radiation. Why can't we use that?
"Loads of radiation" is not specific enough. Not all radiation is equally useful.

For instance Jupiter's magnetosphere has a lot of ionizing radiation that damages electronics. It's high energy charged particles that causes device damage. With photons from the sun the energy is too low to ionize and cause damage but can be converted easily to electric power via the photoelectric effect.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5