Possibility of the colonization of Venus put forward by NASA

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Possibility of the colonization of Venus put forward by NASA

Post by bearnard00 »

This is a video about the possibility of the colonization of Venus put forward by NASA. Personally, I think the idea of colonizing Venus is completely useless idea. Even more useless than colonizing Mars. Venus's environment is even more harsh than the environment on Mars which will we should understand that the life of human beings will be changed completely as a result of the harsh environment of Venus and will not be the same as we have on Earth.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: Possibility of the colonization of Venus put forward by NASA

Post by Richard »

A bit crazy
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

They just fishing for more funding.
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.
Solar: HA: Lunt 50mm single stack, W/L: Meade Herschel wedge.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2437, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 257
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Bigzmey wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:53 pm They just fishing for more funding.
If you dangle this kind of teaser out there maybe someone will pony up.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

It's not from NASA and does not reflect any NASA proposals except for a one second graphic about the proposed Venus missions that were announced last month.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=18524

It's just a collection of material the creators pulled from the internet and strung together.
No space agency is actually suggesting we colonize Venus.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
Ozypic
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ozypic »

They still have 72% of this planet going to waste under water or on the water.. At least a rescue mission is within reach..... its all just big boys toys and keeping their funding.. I,d be putting my funding towards improving this planet. To get us to another planet they really will have to send robots that can keep theirselves running for a few thousnd years then create a few humans when they get to this magical planet... the only problem I see there is the robots will evolve enough to see its a waste of time recreating humans.... hmmmm will they become the " Borg" ?
Phill
Phill. Dreaming of Clear Skys .... :D :D :D
SCOPE : Skywatcher 120X600 ST Achromatic Refractor. 
EP's : 25mm & 10mm Plossl , Celestron 8/24mm Zoom EP,
Filters : Solar filter, Badder Fringe Killer & Moon/Skyglow. 
MOUNT : Skywatcher Star Discovery goto Mount.
CAMERAS : ZWO 120 asi MC. / Sony HX400V 50X Zoom.
Binoculars : Saxon 10x50
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

bearnard00 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:44 pm This is a video about the possibility of the colonization of Venus put forward by NASA. Personally, I think the idea of colonizing Venus is completely useless idea. Even more useless than colonizing Mars. Venus's environment is even more harsh than the environment on Mars which will we should understand that the life of human beings will be changed completely as a result of the harsh environment of Venus and will not be the same as we have on Earth.

I 100% agree. Colonizing Venus makes no sense whatsoever. Who wants to live in a flotilla above a totally inhospitable environment? I mean if it were the only option for survival then yes, otherwise not worth it. Also completely unworkable from a colonization perspective. To be a colony it needs to have a significant if not total ability to be independent. There is no way that some flotilla in the atmosphere of Venus can supply its own raw material needs for manufacturing as mining the surface of Venus would be well beyond what a flotilla-environment could manage. Perhaps might be feasible and reasonable for NASA or the like to put a floating research station there with rotating crews and regular supply runs, but that would be about it. IMO NASA puts out silly things like this just to keep the public's interest in space so they can continue to get funding. All pipe dream nonsense, but it captures the public's imagination.

I wish they would get serious though and write about feasible things that would have some useful purpose instead of all this colonization nonsense. Putting forth concepts for research stations or resource gathering stations on different worlds would be a worth while endeavor. Colonization, true colonization which is one that can be totally self supportive for ALL needs is not really feasible with our technology level in environments with inhospitable atmospheres (e.g., think about how you would build a steal production factory or other needed industrial factories to be independent in a floating colony or on the land where the atmosphere is not breathable). If a real colony is being attempted then that colony needs to be able to get all their needed resources from that environment using mining and the like, then build factories for refinement of the raw resources, etc, etc. None of that is possible if the atmosphere is not breathable.
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Makuser »

Hi all. I agree that this an experiment in futility. Also, with all of excitement about the Mars Rovers and the possible colonization some day, Russia a couple of months ago had claimed Venus. And, it is not totally unfounded. The only photos that exist of the surface details are from their Venera probes in 1975 and 1982 before they were melted and destroyed. You can read more about this and see the images here, at:
https://www.planetary.org/articles/ever ... rface-ever
The surface temperature on Venus is about 900 degrees Fahrenheit (475 degrees Celsius) – hot enough to melt lead, and although further from the sun than Mercury, it is the green house effect of the gases that makes it so hot. The atmospheric pressures are 90 times greater than that of Earth and consists mostly of carbon dioxide – with clouds composed of sulfuric acid. And at the surface, the hot, high-pressure carbon dioxide behaves in a corrosive fashion. Who would want to colonize this inferno???
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Yeah, this is not a serious proposal by anyone to do anything. It's just a "futurist" web magazine run by people who've seen too many science fiction movies.

The idea of human colonies in space is still too wrapped up in romantic versions of the 17th Century with all of death left out. In all likelihood there is very little chance that any resource on another planet could ever be collected and returned to Earth at a profit. The only possible exception might be robotic mining of rare Earth minerals from near Earth asteroids which is an entirely separate matter.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Actually, I am not a great fan of colonizing Mars either. This planet is much better for colonizing than Venus but still, it has a really harsh environment ( high radiation level and low temperature ) that can negatively affect humans.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Well I suppose its some rich people dream , better to spend it here on Earth where its needed , dont get me wrong I am all for space exploration , but living on Mars? Venus? crazy like going to prison , we are certainly not ready for that, but then what do I know
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Richard wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:30 pm Well I suppose its some rich people dream , better to spend it here on Earth where its needed , dont get me wrong I am all for space exploration , but living on Mars? Venus? crazy like going to prison , we are certainly not ready for that, but then what do I know
Well, I'm with you on that. IMO, you know more than crazy stupid rich people! Having so much money that you can do any silly thing you fantasize about is a handicap. But what do I know? :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

It would be much better for rich people to make their investments in technology and projects that can preserve Earth. I have already mentioned on this forum but in another thread satellite technology that can track rare species of animals to prevent them from being killed by poachers. Also, there are special satellites that can observe coral reefs in order to help scientists to save it.
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Unfortunately, NASA will do whatever they want to do, if they want to put a floating city on Venus that's exactly what they will do. Of course, if they make such technology that will allow them to build this floating city on Venus
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

bearnard00 wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 1:10 pm Unfortunately, NASA will do whatever they want to do, if they want to put a floating city on Venus that's exactly what they will do. Of course, if they make such technology that will allow them to build this floating city on Venus
That's entirely wrong bearnard. NASA competes for funding with literally thousands of other Federal programs on an annual basis. The US Congress has proven time and again that it cares more about who gets the contract money than it does about the scientific value of a proposed NASA project.

And once again, the video is not from a NASA proposal. It's was made and uploaded by some futurist web magazine who borrowed some NASA graphics to make it look legitimate.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars