Nature article: Satellite mega-constellations create risks in Low Earth Orbit, the atmosphere and on Earth

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
Chich Canada
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Nature article: Satellite mega-constellations create risks in Low Earth Orbit, the atmosphere and on Earth

Post by Chich »

The paper looks at the current situation with LEOs and talks about possible consequences. I don't think any fearmongering was intended but there are implications to think about.

We all know the impact 42 000 satellites proposed for Starlink will have on optical and radio astronomy but I was not aware of how much aluminum will be deposited in the upper atmosphere on re-entries. One possible outcome is increasing the planet's albedo, a project which has been proposed and rejected but seems we will be doing anyway. To what degree remains to be seen.

It is also a concern that the Kessler Syndrome becomes a reality. Cascading collisions that render the orbits increasingly unusable.

It is disheartening to learn that in many ways it is the wild west. There are few international agreements or regulations. National rather than international agencies are giving the approvals for projects.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598- ... p738k3GFxM
Keep calm and set SCE To AUX

Wildland fire: a strong tradition since 440,000,000 BCE
NEW for 345,000,000 BCE - Crown fires!
SkyHiker United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Nature article: Satellite mega-constellations create risks in Low Earth Orbit, the atmosphere and on Earth

Post by SkyHiker »

That's a great article, I bookmarked it. If a single US company wants to launch 42K satellites then globally, after time, we can expect up to a million or so. Something's got to give.
... Henk. :D Telescopes: GSO 12" Astrograph, "Comet Hunter" MN152, ES ED127CF, ES ED80, WO Redcat51, Z12, AT6RC, Celestron Skymaster 20x80, Mounts and tripod: Losmandy G11S with OnStep, AVX, Tiltall, Cameras: ASI2600MC, ASI2600MM, ASI120 mini, Fuji X-a1, Canon XSi, T6, ELPH 100HS, DIY: OnStep controller, Pi4b/power rig, Afocal adapter, Foldable Dob base, Az/Alt Dob setting circles, Accessories: ZWO 36 mm filter wheel, TV Paracorr 2, Baader MPCC Mk III, ES FF, SSAG, QHY OAG-M, EAF electronic focuser, Plossls, Barlows, Telrad, Laser collimators (Seben LK1, Z12, Howie Glatter), Cheshire, 2 Orion RACIs 8x50, Software: KStars-Ekos, DSS, PHD2, Nebulosity, Photo Gallery, Gimp, CHDK, Computers:Pi4b, 2x running KStars/Ekos, Toshiba Satellite 17", Website:Henk's astro images
Starship201
Earth Ambassador

Re: Nature article: Satellite mega-constellations create risks in Low Earth Orbit, the atmosphere and on Earth

Post by Starship201 »

I also worry about the growing number of satellites in LEO, so do many astrophotographers and aerospace engineers. But at the same time, I understand that there's no way to live without satellites. So, I have a question. What about using satellites that can perform several missions simultaneously. I mean, we can equip satellites with different instruments and reduce the number of sats we launch each year. Why can't we equip a communication satellite, for instance, with an imager to perform an environmental mission or something like that? Modern advanced satellite imagers are compact but powerful. Dragonfly Aerospace https://dragonflyaerospace.com/ is not the most famous imagery manufacturer, but it deserves our attention. I heard about this company on one of the space forums and quickly got interested in them. So, I have an idea. What if this company cooperates with SpaceX, OneWeb, EnduroSat, or any other satellite manufacturer and creates a brand new satellite?
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Starship201 wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:39 pm I also worry about the growing number of satellites in LEO, so do many astrophotographers and aerospace engineers. But at the same time, I understand that there's no way to live without satellites. So, I have a question. What about using satellites that can perform several missions simultaneously. I mean, we can equip satellites with different instruments and reduce the number of sats we launch each year. Why can't we equip a communication satellite, for instance, with an imager to perform an environmental mission or something like that? Modern advanced satellite imagers are compact but powerful. Dragonfly Aerospace https://dragonflyaerospace.com/ is not the most famous imagery manufacturer, but it deserves our attention. I heard about this company on one of the space forums and quickly got interested in them. So, I have an idea. What if this company cooperates with SpaceX, OneWeb, EnduroSat, or any other satellite manufacturer and creates a brand new satellite?
I don't think that will significantly reduce the number of communication satellites. The only way I can see a significant reduction is that LEO communications satellites be operated as a common public utility, like roads, water and sewage. As long as comm satellites are proprietary it's going to be the wild west up there. Can you imagine what the national highways would be like if every company could build a proprietary section and charge tolls? :)

It makes sense for some utilities to be commons and in support of private enterprises to utilize them. The ancient Sumerians understood this when they had the good sense to operate irrigation as common public utility and in support of private farming for profit. Since we have abandoned Adam Smith's capitalism we are doing crazy experiments in corporatist economics that are not well thought out.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
WilliamPaolini United States of America
Saturn Ambassador
Articles: 9

TSS Awards Badges

Post by WilliamPaolini »

Yes, getting congested up there. A lot of it is non-functional and debris also. However, a number of companies are placing "sweeper" satellites in orbit to de-orbit non-functional items and debris. So the problem is recognized and the solutions are being implemented organically instead of by some central management oversight organization it seems. https://www.satellitetoday.com/innovati ... -to-orbit/
-Bill

U.S.A.F. Veteran - Visual Amateur Astronomer since 1966 - Fully Retired since 2019
8" f/5 Newt - Lunt 152 f/7.9 - TSA 102 f/8 - Vixen 81S f/7.7 - P.S.T. - Pentax 65ED II - Nikon 12x50 AE
Pentax XWs - Baader Morpheus - Takahashi LEs - Edmund RKEs - BST Starguiders - 6ZAO-II/5XO/4Abbe
PM and Email communications always welcomed