3D printer for some space stuff

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

3D printer for some space stuff

Post by bearnard00 »

I`ve recently found an interesting article about 3D printer which is used in aerospace area. Have you heard anything about that? This machine allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Re: 3D printer for some space stuff

Post by Richard »

I only know of 3d printers using one so they are getting more advance and probably much more costly , perhaps the simple ones will get cheaper soon ?
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Richard wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:20 pm I only know of 3d printers using one so they are getting more advance and probably much more costly , perhaps the simple ones will get cheaper soon ?
I was surprised too, when I had read the article about this new technology. This machine allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing.
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

3d/additive manufacturing has come a long way. Industrial strength machines can make amazing things. These machines are on some of pur kargest Aircraft Csrriers to print parts as needed. They print metals.

Consumer 3d multi material printers can be had for about $1200 usd. Very good commercial 3d printers can be had for under $500 usd.

No surprise that Space Tech would use them. And this industry is just beginning...great things to come.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

NASA is well aware of the potential - https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/stat ... plications

Relativity Space is banking on this being a transformative technology - https://www.relativityspace.com/stargate

As John points out, the military is already using 3D printers to reduce the problems of supplying parts to units in the middle of the ocean and other remote locations. The ultimate remote location is obviously outer space. The only practical way of replacing physical parts in space is to print what you need, when you need it.

Beyond that, the concept of 'living off the land' requires that you be able to use whatever materials are available to create and sustain human infrastructure on other celestial bodies. If you want to build a moon base, you will probably have to print it.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

The detail I wonder about is "gravity". The technology will have to overcome this detail for "in space" manufacturing.
The materiels available are quite outstanding...synthetic and carbon fiber materials many orders of magnitude stronger that steel.
I want to get a "Prusa". 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

John Donne wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 12:34 am The detail I wonder about is "gravity". The technology will have to overcome this detail for "in space" manufacturing.
Well NASA solved that problem for at least one material and processing combination as shown above. For powdered metals, a simple electrostatic charge might be all that is needed to hold the material in place for the fraction of a second needed to fuse it to the growing work piece.

I'm very interested in what feed stock might be extracted from the Lunar regolith for example.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

This 3d printer allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing. And as it has been already mentioned in this thread it`s called additive manufacturing services and it was made up by scientists from private space company.
Starship201
Earth Ambassador

Post by Starship201 »

bearnard00 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:35 pm This 3d printer allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing. And as it has been already mentioned in this thread it`s called additive manufacturing services and it was made up by scientists from private space company.
Can you tell us what the company managed to achieve? I want to read more about this technology, and need to know the name of this space agency.
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Starship201 wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:17 am
bearnard00 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 2:35 pm This 3d printer allows to print multi-composite parts simultaneously from several materials, which is infeasible in other types of aerospace 3d printing. And as it has been already mentioned in this thread it`s called additive manufacturing services and it was made up by scientists from private space company.
Can you tell us what the company managed to achieve? I want to read more about this technology, and need to know the name of this space agency.
The company that invented this 3D printing technology is called Skyrora and this company successfully uses 3D printing technology in manufacturing rocket engines. The third stage for Skyrora XL rocket and found out this rocket engine was made with the usage of additive technology. I can't believe that engines can be made with the help of 3d printer. I`ve never thought that 3d printing couldn't be used for such purposes. However, as I see, the final material is tough enough to handle that kind of stress.
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Hmmm, these guys 3D print just about the entire rocket.
https://www.relativityspace.com/stargate
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Also, I`d like to add that 3d printing technology is frequently used in the manufacturing of airplanes. I was really surprised when I found out about these pieces of information