Ahead, warp 0.999 -- Engage!

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Ahead, warp 0.999 -- Engage!

Post by AntennaGuy »

If the number of articles (and the content of their headlines) in the popular press is any indication, warp drive technology will surely be upon us by the end of the year:
NEW WARP DRIVE MODEL REQUIRES NO ‘EXOTIC MATTER,’ SCIENTISTS SAY WE CAN BUILD IT
https://thedebrief.org/new-warp-drive-m ... -build-it/
This one is modestly (hah, hah) less ambitious than some of the others, since it discusses travel at less than the speed of light. But not much less.
:popcorn:
p.s. The "APL" referred to in the article is NOT to be confused with the well-respected Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory (JHUAPL, often written simply as APL).
Hat tip: Instapundit.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Ahead, warp 0.999 -- Engage!

Post by notFritzArgelander »

I think this falls into the "clean, fun, jokes" thread, doesn't it? ;)

I had to :rofl: at the claim that they have the radiation problem licked. They don't! They only consider radiation from the Alcubierre horizons. But in the direction of motion there is a blue shift boost of the energy of particles in the direction of motion by factors of 10 and more! Plus you are sweeping up a volume of space by a similar amount. Thus the problem of the ambient radiation environment isn't solved! I know I'm not buying a ticket until there's some good Trekkie deflector shield technology, that's for sure! :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:34 pm I think this falls into the "clean, fun, jokes" thread, doesn't it? ;)

I had to :rofl: at the claim that they have the radiation problem licked. They don't! They only consider radiation from the Alcubierre horizons. But in the direction of motion there is a blue shift boost of the energy of particles in the direction of motion by factors of 10 and more! Plus you are sweeping up a volume of space by a similar amount. Thus the problem of the ambient radiation environment isn't solved! I know I'm not buying a ticket until there's some good Trekkie deflector shield technology, that's for sure! :)
Not an issue. The shielding problem is solvable by pushing an asteroid ahead of you while you hide on the other side, preferably inside the asteroid. (Hey, I know this works because I read it in a science fiction short story many years ago. Science fiction authors are smart.)
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
The Happy Parrot
Pluto Ambassador
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

Post by The Happy Parrot »

AntennaGuy wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:45 pm
Not an issue. The shielding problem is solvable by pushing an asteroid ahead of you while you hide on the other side, preferably inside the asteroid. (Hey, I know this works because I read it in a science fiction short story many years ago. Science fiction authors are smart.)
Well, even I know that's what Oumaouma is, but point taken. I say we get the Boeing 737 fixed, the Webb telescope up and running, and then we can tweak with this one.