Starlink launch landing failure

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Starlink launch landing failure

Post by AntennaGuy »

Richard wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:42 am Interesting but does anyone know how well it will work when there are adverse weather conditions , ie thunderstorms, snow etc ?
We still use satelite TV here in RSA which performs poorly in summer during thunderstorms
I understand that the Starlink system operates at Ka, Ku, and V band (see https://dgtlinfra.com/wp-content/upload ... 36x864.png). I would expect sufficiently bad weather to have impacts, but with the severity of the impact varying with the band. But ultimately, how well this works will come down to signal-to-noise ratios, bandwidths, and various schemes for compensating/correcting. The "dish" antennas at the user end are not actually dishes. They are electronically-scanned-arrays (ESAs). These provide high gain beams (like a dish does) but without having to mechanically point them, as well as should let the system dynamically (but I don't know how fast) switch its attention and communications from one satellite to another. This latter characteristic should (in my not-especially-informed opinion, despite being an "antenna guy") improve resilience of the overall system to patchy bad weather, but I can easily imagine that it might not be sufficient to deal with severe weather across most/all of the sky over the antenna in question. I'm guessing that once there is a full Starlink network of satellites in orbit, and with any decent clear view of any of the satellites, it will work fine. But if all of the paths to them go through thunderstorms, I would be impressed if there wasn't at least some degradation of performance. Just my 2 cents. Oh, and I don't think I would ever want any snow covering my antenna. That just can't be good. Again, not sure how much it would take to degrade it too much.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Starlink launch landing failure

Post by AntennaGuy »

It turns out the antenna is an even more awesome piece of technology than I had guessed. Here's one taken apart:
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... -terminal/
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”