Starlink launch landing failure

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Starlink launch landing failure

Post by KathyNS »

It looks like last night's Starlink launch did not stick the booster landing. In the video, at the predicted time of landing, there is an orange glow from a distance away, and some seagulls on the barge take off, but no landing.

https://spacenews.com/spacex-launches-s ... ing-fails/
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Starlink launch landing failure

Post by John Fitzgerald »

We don't need all that junk in orbit, spoiling our views of the natural sky. I hope they go out of business.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
smp United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

Post by smp »

Here's another article from Ars Technica:
"Just as a Falcon 9 rocket was due to land, the horizon began to glow"

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/02 ... -attempts/

smp
Stephen
- - - - -
Telescopes: Questar 3.5 Standard SN 18-11421; Stellina (EAA)
Solar: Thousand Oaks white light filter; Daystar Quark (chromosphere) Hα filter
Mounts: Explore Scientific Twilight I; Majestic heavy duty tripod
Local Club: New Hampshire Astronomical Society
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

Much as I admire Musk's efforts, I do harbor a secret longing that given enough destructive failures with StarLink and StarShip that he may give up.
Pssst! Don't tell anyone I said this.......
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

goldstar wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm Much as I admire Musk's efforts, I do harbor a secret longing that given enough destructive failures with StarLink and StarShip that he may give up.
I’ll keep your secret if you keep mine.... ;)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
John Fitzgerald United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by John Fitzgerald »

goldstar wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:20 pm Much as I admire Musk's efforts, I do harbor a secret longing that given enough destructive failures with StarLink and StarShip that he may give up.
I think there would be a lot of Schadenfreude in the astronomy community.

It would be justice-based schadenfreude to me.
Double and multiple star observer. Over 3,500 unique pairs logged.

No good deed goes unpunished.
Doug James Canada
Moon Ambassador

Post by Doug James »

I live in a very dark area in Canada it takes me 45 min. to get to are store and post office. I'm not seeing a big difference in the night sky with the starlink stuff.
Celestron Omni XLT 120 Refractor, Orion XT8 Classic Dobsonian - Telrad finder - Sirius Plossl 1.25" eyepieces 40mm,25mm,17mm,
Shorty 2x Barlow lens, Orion Stratus 8mm,13mm,21mm, Baader 36mm, Meade 6.5mm,
Binoculars, Nikon 10x50, Oberwerk 20x80 LW binos
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

I'm also not super thrilled about the number of Starlink sats he is hoping to launch but at the same time, there are tons of people around the world that don't currently have access to the internet that this is going to open the world up to.
Also, he is hoping to use the funds raised by the monthly subscriptions to Starlink to fund the mission to get us to Mars. A worthy goal.
I have to admit, I've been "Starlinked" a few times on my astrophotography outings. It's really no big deal and easily eliminated with sigma clipping in the stacking process. Anyone that's tried to take an image of the Orion nebula knows you can't get a single exposure of it without picking up at least one of the geostationary satellites that are up there already.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

SpaceX may spinout Starlink as a separate company that has a public offering. SpaceX will then eventually go public and may be a trillion dollar company like Apple. Musk indeed may become the world's first trillionaire. I actually met him in 2000 when he was fundraising for X.com, he had a lot less hair then he does now. As far as the satellites go they are a definite annoyance. But I agree with you Greg that it is a worthy cause, just wish there was another way to achieve it then polluting the skies.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Re:
John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:27 pm We don't need all that junk in orbit, spoiling our views of the natural sky. I hope they go out of business.
AND
notFritzArgelander wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm
I’ll keep your secret if you keep mine.... ;)
Will y'all forgive me for signing up for Starlink today? :doh:
It promises an enormous improvement over the otherwise very slow internet available to me where I live.
Don't hate me... at least, no more than you could hate Kelly Le Brock, ok?
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

The starlink system is NOT about internet for the third world or any other part of the world for that matter. Any advance to that public cause is ancillary to the objective of the stake holder.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

John Fitzgerald wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 7:27 pm We don't need all that junk in orbit, spoiling our views of the natural sky. I hope they go out of business.
Starlink as a project has a great consept but it has a lot of mistakes. I guess Space X just needs more time to improve all stuff that doesn`t work now or have some glitches. I think that in the future Starlink will work properly.
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

John Donne wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 pm The starlink system is NOT about internet for the third world or any other part of the world for that matter. Any advance to that public cause is ancillary to the objective of the stake holder.
?? Not sure where you're heading with that. In my case, as I already mentioned, it sure looks like Starlink is (eventually) going to be providing me with a connection to the internet, from my home in a semi-rural area of East Texas, that is superior to alternatives currently available to me. East Texas is definitely a "part of the world." I have no objection to fairly compensating, in a 100% voluntary transaction, a company that honestly provides me with a product that I want to purchase, in accordance with agreed-upon terms. Do you have some reason to expect Starlink to not fulfill its contractual obligations and/or to not treat its customers in good faith? I mean, I probably wouldn't make such a deal with Darth Vader...
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AntennaGuy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:50 pm
John Donne wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 3:35 pm The starlink system is NOT about internet for the third world or any other part of the world for that matter. Any advance to that public cause is ancillary to the objective of the stake holder.
?? Not sure where you're heading with that. In my case, as I already mentioned, it sure looks like Starlink is (eventually) going to be providing me with a connection to the internet, from my home in a semi-rural area of East Texas, that is superior to alternatives currently available to me. East Texas is definitely a "part of the world." I have no objection to fairly compensating, in a 100% voluntary transaction, a company that honestly provides me with a product that I want to purchase, in accordance with agreed-upon terms. Do you have some reason to expect Starlink to not fulfill its contractual obligations and/or to not treat its customers in good faith?
Pardon my butting in.... There is some concern that Starlink is planning on heavy subsidization of its costs by US DoD entities. So a large part of its revenue will not depend on users like yourself but be at the whim of bureaucrats in the Pentagon. Should they so choose their whim could render Starlink uneconomical.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm
?? Not sure where you're heading with that. In my case, as I already mentioned, it sure looks like Starlink is (eventually) going to be providing me with a connection to the internet, from my home in a semi-rural area of East Texas, that is superior to alternatives currently available to me. East Texas is definitely a "part of the world." I have no objection to fairly compensating, in a 100% voluntary transaction, a company that honestly provides me with a product that I want to purchase, in accordance with agreed-upon terms. Do you have some reason to expect Starlink to not fulfill its contractual obligations and/or to not treat its customers in good faith?
Pardon my butting in.... There is some concern that Starlink is planning on heavy subsidization of its costs by US DoD entities. So a large part of its revenue will not depend on users like yourself but be at the whim of bureaucrats in the Pentagon. Should they so choose their whim could render Starlink uneconomical.
Interesting. Well, if the DoD does subsidize it, then I hope it provides useful value (and sufficient value to justify the expense) toward our national defense. If not, then it will indeed be a poor investment by US taxpayers.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

AntennaGuy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:14 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 pm
Interesting. Well, if the DoD does subsidize it, then I hope it provides useful value (and sufficient value to justify the expense) toward our national defense. If not, then it will indeed be a poor investment by US taxpayers.
It is under evaluation, whether to use Starlink or not. You might find this interesting. https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... itary-use/
"To use LEO broadband like Starlink the Army will need flat-panel antennas to track thousands of satellites. The cost of equipping Army units with new ground terminals will be one of the issues that the CRADA will investigate," SpaceNews wrote. As one would expect, the Army will also evaluate security as part of its testing.
So it's not exactly plug an play with existing HW. In a few years we'll know more.
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

?? Not sure where you're heading with that. In my case, as I already mentioned, it sure looks like Starlink is (eventually) going to be providing me with a connection to the internet, from my home in a semi-rural area of East Texas, that is superior to alternatives currently available to me. East Texas is definitely a "part of the world." I have no objection to fairly compensating, in a 100% voluntary transaction, a company that honestly provides me with a product that I want to purchase, in accordance with agreed-upon terms. Do you have some reason to expect Starlink to not fulfill its contractual obligations and/or to not treat its customers in good faith? I mean, I probably wouldn't make such a deal with Darth Vader...
Not "heading" anywhere. 😊
I was simply saying what one can read on this subject.

The use of this vast satelite network will of course have the added benefit of internet connection, for a cost of course as you mention. I am in the same boat that you are in as far as "quality" of connection. I am at the end of an old technology dialup speed connection with intermittant capability of "streaming" at best. For me this will be a benefit as it will be for you. There is no question about this.

But the speed of the transactions will also facilitate the global financial sector in ways that will seamlessly connect the global economy and monetary system. And this is the financial value in the venture for the "stake holder". It is the financial markets that will be the first customer. The revenue from this business model will underwrite the consumer use of this new technology.

I make no value judgement in this if that is what you thought.
The "stake holders" are the folks who have financial interest in the venture. I was simply pointing out that the popular notion that this is all about serving the global consumer internet market is incomplete.
I hope this clarifies my earlier post. 😊
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

John Donne wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:25 pm

The use of this vast satelite network will of course have the added benefit of internet connection, for a cost of course as you mention. I am in the same boat that you are in as far as "quality" of connection. I am at the end of an old technology dialup speed connection with intermittant capability of "streaming" at best. For me this will be a benefit as it will be for you. There is no question about this.

But the speed of the transactions will also facilitate the global financial sector in ways that will seamlessly connect the global economy and monetary system. And this is the financial value in the venture for the "stake holder". It is the financial markets that will be the first customer. The revenue from this business model will underwrite the consumer use of this new technology.

The "stake holders" are the folks who have financial interest in the venture. I was simply pointing out that the popular notion that this is all about serving the global consumer internet market is incomplete.
Hmmm.... pardon my pedantry.... it's about to go full monty.

The folks who you refer to as "stake holders" defined as "the folks who have financial interest in the venture" are not stakeholders in the sense economists use. They are in fact "shareholders". The stakeholders in the enterprise as used by economists include the customers to be served (like AntennaGuy) and the community at large such as the irritated night sky observer investigating the option of shooting these things down out of the sky. Not that I have anyone in particular in mind, you know..... :roll: :oops: :Pirate:
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

notFritzArgelander wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:35 pm
John Donne wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:25 pm

Hmmm.... pardon my pedantry.... it's about to go full monty.

The folks who you refer to as "stake holders" defined as "the folks who have financial interest in the venture" are not stakeholders in the sense economists use. They are in fact "shareholders". The stakeholders in the enterprise as used by economists include the customers to be served (like AntennaGuy) and the community at large such as the irritated night sky observer investigating the option of shooting these things down out of the sky. Not that I have anyone in particular in mind, you know..... :roll: :oops: :Pirate:
Thank you for the correction in terms, Fritz.
You are correct .

I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
Richard South Africa
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Richard »

Interesting but does anyone know how well it will work when there are adverse weather conditions , ie thunderstorms, snow etc ?
We still use satelite TV here in RSA which performs poorly in summer during thunderstorms
Reflectors GSO 200 Dobs
Refractors None
SCT C5 on a SLT mount
Mak 150 Bosma on a EQ5