water for cubist propulsion

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

water for cubist propulsion

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Re: water for cubist propulsion

Post by seigell »

Ah... I wanted to see some "Cubists" propelled into space... %^)
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

seigell wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:54 pm Ah... I wanted to see some "Cubists" propelled into space... %^)
Sorry on two counts.

1) I need more care to correct the auto correct. :cry:
2) I rather like cubists and would like to keep them on earth. :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
seigell United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by seigell »

Water as a Propellant should be a Good Thing. It seems about the most Efficient packaging for a H2-Lox Propulsion Fuel - no need for cryogenics and always in the right proportions of Fuel and Oxidizer.

But, Water isn't the "Tame" thing that the Abstract makes it out to be:
1) There's that awkward Expansive Phase Change thing - whether as a gas or a solid it takes more space than in liquid form
2) There's little Temperature Range between Phase Changes - approx 100*C - and both Temps are readily encountered in Orbital Space (Insolation and In Earth's Shadow)
3) There's challenges with electrolysis related to weightlessness - but these are overcome by the process/product that seems to be more referenced than introduced in the Abstract
4) The article claims that Water isn't Volatile nor Toxic - compared to some of the exotic Rocket Fuels, yes. But at the Planetary Scale, I'd submit that Water is the most Volatile and Toxic thing that ever happened to the Earth (maybe even inclusive of the Lunar Impactor)
ES AR152 / ES 80ED Apo / Orion 8in F/3.9 / C9.25-SCT / C6-SCT / C10-NGT / AT6RC / ST-80 / AstroView 90 / Meade 6000 APO 115mm
CGEM (w HyperTune and ADM bling) / 2x CG5-AGT / Forest of Tripod legs / Star Adventurer / Orion EQ-G
550D (Modded-G.Honis) / 60D / 400D / NexImage / NexGuide / Mini 50 SSAG / ST-8300C / ASI120MM-S / ASI1600MM-Cool
Dark Skies in SW CO when I can get there, and badly light polluted backyard when I can't... (Currently Self-Exiled to Muggy Central Florida...)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

seigell wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:56 pm Water as a Propellant should be a Good Thing. It seems about the most Efficient packaging for a H2-Lox Propulsion Fuel - no need for cryogenics and always in the right proportions of Fuel and Oxidizer.

But, Water isn't the "Tame" thing that the Abstract makes it out to be:
1) There's that awkward Expansive Phase Change thing - whether as a gas or a solid it takes more space than in liquid form
2) There's little Temperature Range between Phase Changes - approx 100*C - and both Temps are readily encountered in Orbital Space (Insolation and In Earth's Shadow)
3) There's challenges with electrolysis related to weightlessness - but these are overcome by the process/product that seems to be more referenced than introduced in the Abstract
4) The article claims that Water isn't Volatile nor Toxic - compared to some of the exotic Rocket Fuels, yes. But at the Planetary Scale, I'd submit that Water is the most Volatile and Toxic thing that ever happened to the Earth (maybe even inclusive of the Lunar Impactor)
Oh, I think that water is pretty benign compared to, say, hydrazine. ;) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrazine