The affect of the space weather

Discuss current topic regarding space exploration.
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

The affect of the space weather

Post by bearnard00 »

Does space weather affect the space crafts` launches and do scientists check it before space crafts go to space?
I know there is such a fact like space turbulence and it can influence a space craft, but can space weather?
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: The affect of the space weather

Post by yobbo89 »

hello and welcome to tss, someone with more knowledge on the topic should help you ,interesting question, i've heard that cosmic rays slow down satilites like the space station ectt .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

yes, the thread might be better off in space exploration,can't work out how to move it :)
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

FYI the topic has been moved to Space Exploration....
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

yobbo89 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:59 pm hello and welcome to tss, someone with more knowledge on the topic should help you ,interesting question, i've heard that cosmic rays slow down satilites like the space station ectt .
I found that it`s enough to influence launch decisions. I'd have to say yes since I'd guess that something like a period with a strong solar storm would seem to be a poor choice for a launch window since it affects if not the craft, at least the ability to track/communicate with the craft. And I guess it may affect sateelites the most.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

Yes, indeed NASA (and I'm sure other space agencies) do consider space weather before launch. Anything electronic can be destroyed if there should be Coronal Mass Ejection heading our way. Which is one of the reasons we have two spacecraft constantly monitoring the sun. A flare / CME will show visually nearly instantly whilst the damaging particles take 48-72 hours to reach earth... plenty of time to shut down sensitive electronics.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Star Dad wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:36 pm Yes, indeed NASA (and I'm sure other space agencies) do consider space weather before launch. Anything electronic can be destroyed if there should be Coronal Mass Ejection heading our way. Which is one of the reasons we have two spacecraft constantly monitoring the sun. A flare / CME will show visually nearly instantly whilst the damaging particles take 48-72 hours to reach earth... plenty of time to shut down sensitive electronics.
Also, I found some interesting stuff about space weather
Space Weather is forecast with a combination of:
- Theoretical/computer modeling (eg of the Sun's 11 year sunspot cycle)
- Ground-based observations
- Satellite based observations
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Also, I wanna say that Solar activity has a large affect not only on space tech, but the tech we use on the ground and in the air. Historical evidence shows the vulnerability of modern technology when confronted with high energy particles, a by-product of space weather events. Equally important is to remember that space weather has a global footprint, thus the damage is felt worldwide rather than local, much like an outbreak. Impact on satellites, aviation, power grid, navigation and communication systems have all been previously documented.
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

That reminds me of an incident in the Navy. We were in the Mediterranean Sea theoretically chasing a Soviet submarine and launched our helicopter to get a fix on it. The helo was equipped with a MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) sensor. Every time the helo put the MAD gear out and turned it on he got a hit. Within a short period of time - as our ship raced after the helo - it became apparent that the sub was doing something on the order of 60 knots based on the MAD contacts. Well, that's not possible I thought. We thought there was a problem with the sensor, and turned around and went back to our beginning position. Turns out we were at the height of sunspot activity which was wreaking havoc on a lot of electronics. I'll bet the Soviets wish they had a sub that could go 60 knots. :D So, yeah, space weather influences earth bound electronics as well.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter
bearnard00
Mars Ambassador

Post by bearnard00 »

Star Dad wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:12 pm That reminds me of an incident in the Navy. We were in the Mediterranean Sea theoretically chasing a Soviet submarine and launched our helicopter to get a fix on it. The helo was equipped with a MAD (Magnetic Anomaly Detector) sensor. Every time the helo put the MAD gear out and turned it on he got a hit. Within a short period of time - as our ship raced after the helo - it became apparent that the sub was doing something on the order of 60 knots based on the MAD contacts. Well, that's not possible I thought. We thought there was a problem with the sensor, and turned around and went back to our beginning position. Turns out we were at the height of sunspot activity which was wreaking havoc on a lot of electronics. I'll bet the Soviets wish they had a sub that could go 60 knots. :D So, yeah, space weather influences earth bound electronics as well.
Have you heard of SWIMMR programme. The four year programme (2019-2023) is focusing on reducing the potential radiation hazards of space weather to satellites and aviation operations, mitigating potential space weather effects on communication and global positioning, as well as diminishing the potential risks of space weather to electric power distribution. Furthermore, the funding is part of the Strategic Priorities Fund (SPF), which guarantees that the UKRI’s investment is in accordance with governmental priorities.This information I found on the website of space news uk space news uk
Last edited by bearnard00 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.