Discuss deep sky objects.
KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

Researching targets from a session.

Post by KingClinton »

When I go out for a session I usually have some sort of a list or the other, or an idea of the type of target I am after, GC, Open clusters etc.
I try not to do any research on these targets before hand as I prefer to have a unbiased view going in, seeing a image before hand might give me unrealistic expectations.
Almost like a beginner that expects to see M42 as a glorious full colour object in the eyepiece.

Once the session is done and there were some really interesting targets that stood out for me, then I like to do some research to find out more about them.
More often than not I end up following more links and reading up more on it's history along with some of the stories or folklore surrounding them.
With the internet at our fingertips and the ability easily access information on such a vast array of subjects, it is easy to research and really dig deep. I have uncovered obscure catalogs I had never heard of, or astronomers of yore that played a role in a objects story that I was unaware of.
So many great people did so much to bring our modern catalogs and constellations to us and their stories fascinate me!

I get immense satisfaction from having learned something new, next time I am at the eyepiece and come across the target again, it adds so much to the experience.
From simple things like knowing there are exoplanets around a star, or visiting some obscure star that is of interest to professional astronomers. Or finding out how it came to be named, who was the first to log it and other interesting stories. These all add to the enjoyment for me.

For me, the research after the fact is almost as enjoyable as the time at the eyepiece.

Does anyone else enjoy it, or even do this?
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Researching targets from a session.

Post by kt4hx »

We operate similarly Clinton. While I don't regularly work from a fixed list of objects when I go out for a session, I do typically have some sort of plan in mind. Sometimes it entails observing (mostly galaxies) within a single constellation or perhaps two or three adjacent ones to keep my gross movements as small as possible. But be that as it may, like yourself, I do not typically know much about the individual objects as a rule, other than their type, relative sizes, shapes and orientations to one another as depicted in my primary atlases (Interstellarum and Uranometria). Sometimes I will create specialized charts using Sky Tools 3 for deeper fields.

While observing I will sometimes notice an unexpected detail within an object or perhaps another suspected object in very tight proximity to the primary target that is not shown in either atlas. Since I do not use electronics (laptops/tablets/phones) in the field, I merely make note of what I see then add the word "check" to the notation. Then after the session, I will do my due diligence and check this out using my preferred online sources to either confirm or deny what I believed I saw in the eyepiece. I have confirmed many additional objects or internal structural details in this manner. On a few occasions I have also verified that what I saw was simply my own averted imagination! :lol: But usually I have found that my suspicions were validated.

I always do general research for the objects I observe, such as the type of object, its magnitude, angular size and resulting surface brightness. Additionally I also frequently read the discovery notes for objects to gain insight as to what the forerunners of observational astronomy encountered during their discovery of these objects. I find this history fascinating and very insightful.

I consider the whole process just par for the course. I take my observing seriously, but taking it seriously doesn't mean I don't have fun. The seriousness by which I approach my galaxy hunting is a great part of the fun for me. I work hard at pursuing challenging objects and while it can be exhausting, it is at the same time exhilarating. :) I become immersed in the deep sky and sometimes in my mind feel as if I am on a personal journey of discovery myself.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Researching targets from a session.

Post by helicon »

I like to create a list beforehand, written in my notebook, then at the eyepiece with a red light shining I look at my atlas, usually picking out a nearby object or two that will involve a challenge. For example, looking at M53 I will check it out and then go for NGC 5053, the nearby 10th magnitude globular. Sometimes I am successful, sometimes not. Then I note down my observations in my log with the usual information - date, time, comments, etc.

Inside I usually fire up telescopius.com to look at pictures of the objects I have seen. (It used to be deep sky objects browser), sometimes this adds insight into what I have seen at the eyepiece, and also helps plan for future sessions. Typically at that point I turn in, often around 10:30 or 11:00 pm.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N