SN 2020hvf in NGC 3643

Discuss deep sky objects.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

SN 2020hvf in NGC 3643

Post by kt4hx »

This Type Ia supernova has brightened to around mag 14.0 in its host galaxy, the barred lenticular NGC 3643 in Leo. One projection for peak brightness I've seen said mag 13.3, but of course one must take that with at least a small grain of salt.

The galaxy itself is weak at a visual mag of 14.1. With its small angular size of about 0.8'x0.3', it yields a surface brightness of about 12.4. Its field is located on chart 58-left in the Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas (IDSA). If you have the Uranometria All-Sky Edition Atlas, the galaxy is plotted on chart 111-right or 112-left. Here a link to an image (east is left, north is up).

http://www.astrosurf.com/deldem/img/sn2 ... 262053.jpg

I have added a chart I made in Sky Tools 3 showing its field WSW of the curve of stars 80, 82, 83 and Tau Leonis. The chart is done to stellar magnitude 14.0. The host galaxy lies about 14' SSE of the brighter galaxy NGC 3640 (mag=10.4, size=4.0'x3.2', SBr=13.2). I plan to give it a look when the moon and weather give me opportunity to return to our dark site.
SN 2020hvf.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)