What's the most distant galaxy you've captured

Discuss deep sky objects.
jazzin United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

What's the most distant galaxy you've captured

Post by jazzin »

Since we are all imaging galaxies right now and I get these really faint smudges in my images that seem like galaxies just farther away, I often plate solve and then google the NGC number of the galaxies to see how far away that galaxy is. So I thought I'd post the question on here. What's the farthest galaxy you've imaged and what size scope did you use?
Telescopes: Celestron 6" Newtonian, Orion 8" Astrograph

Guide scope: 50mm guidescope

Camera: modded Canon T7i, stock Canon T1i

Software: PixInsight

I hate cold and rainy weather!
sdbodin United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: What's the most distant galaxy you've captured

Post by sdbodin »

Completely by accident in my posted image of NGC 3718, in the background, a distant cluster about 3 billion ly.

Clear skies,
Steve
Scopes; Meade 16 LX200, AT80LE, plus bunch just sitting around gathering dust
Cameras; Atik 460ex mono, Zwo ASI1600MC-cool, QHY5L-II color and mono
DEnc United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by DEnc »

Somewhere in the smudge in these images is YGKOW G1, a galaxy that’s 4 billion ly away.

But the reason I pointed my light bucket—well, at 4”, maybe a teacup—at this target is that the smudge also contains one of the best characterized gravitationally lensed quasars. QSO 0957+561 makes up the bulk of the smudge. It’s 14 billion light years away, and there’s a time delay in the arrival of light from the two images, estimated at 400-500 days.
QSO.png
realflow100 United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by realflow100 »

Maybe whirlpool galaxy? its a super faint noisy smudge in my image i captured. but its visible.
I also captured bode's galaxy and cigar galaxy recently as well. (and a 3rd galaxy within the same view. but i dont know what that one is called)
Svbony SV503 70mm ED F6 420mm FL refractor telescope (New)
Canon EOS 100D/SL1
Tamron 18-200mm F3.5-F6.3 II VC lens
canon 50mm STM F1.8
svbony 8-24mm zoom eyepiece
svbony goldline 66 degree 9mm and 6mm + 40mm plossl + 2x barlow.
svbony UHC 1.25 filter + astromania 1.25" O-3 filter + also an svbony H-B filter.
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Do quasars count? I thought I was doing well when I imaged the Twin Quasar, QSO 0957+561, at 7.8 billion light years (light travel time, rather than co-moving distance). But then a couple of weeks later, I found that BZQ J1424+2256 was 11.9 billion light years away.

It boggles the mind that the photons I captured were already 2/3 of the way here when the Solar System and the Earth were forming!
LRGB_s2_p2-1000px.jpg
My most distant galaxies that I captured intentionally as galaxies would be Stephan's Quintet, at about 300 million light years. No doubt, I have accidentally captured non-target faint smudges that are farther.
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Since I do not image, I can only relate to visual observation. In that case for a galaxy, that would be (at this point) IC 1101 in Virgo at about 1.07 BLY, and as far as quasars go, that would be 3C 273, also in Virgo, about 2.4 BLY. The first one was with the 17.5 inch dob and the quasar with a 12 inch dob though its visible with less aperture. There is a big difference between observing such distant galaxies versus a quasar (the highly luminous active galactic nucleus of some very distant galaxies).
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Sky United States of America
Moon Ambassador

Post by Sky »

Maybe not the farthest object .... At 1 billion light years, the galaxy IC 1101 is the largest single galaxy in the observable universe. This monster has a diameter of almost 4 million light years and it could easily engulf both our Milky Way galaxy and the Andromeda galaxy, which are separated by 2.5 million light years.

The posted image of IC 1101 was taken with my 12" SCT scope.

Luminance: 64 minutes, Red: 8 minutes, Green: 8 minutes, Blue: 12 minutes.

IC1101_L64R8G8B12_Chart.jpg
jazzin United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by jazzin »

Wow!

The farthest I got so far that I know about with my 6" scope is 138 million ly. I never imaged you could see something over a billion light years away in an amatuer scope
Telescopes: Celestron 6" Newtonian, Orion 8" Astrograph

Guide scope: 50mm guidescope

Camera: modded Canon T7i, stock Canon T1i

Software: PixInsight

I hate cold and rainy weather!
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

I do not know for sure. When I stargaze most times I have no planned targets. I go in a circle up and down with my binoculars. A complete circle can take up to six hours, in which I observe all kinds of objects. The furthest that I definitely know of is M104/Sombrero galaxy, which is close to 30 million light years away. It looked something like this image, but a little dimmer in the middle. I used my Meade LX70 120mm f8 refractor under Bortle 4 skies. Oops Visualized.
Attachments
image 1.PNG
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

i just have to say i have a lot of images and that's a lot of time to plate solve and i probably won't get to it, but kudos for everyone who participates .
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .