hunting for rim nebula !!! Wascally webula!

Discuss deep sky objects.
yobbo89 Australia
Articles: 0

TSS Photo of the Day

hunting for rim nebula !!! Wascally webula!

Post by yobbo89 »

so i came across a target in stellarium , it was just a name icon with no image. rim nebula and i clicked on it and it showed up in details as ngc 6188 ..

anyhow i tried rim nebula in frame and mosaic in sgp and didn't find anything. so i tried ngc 6188 and it only gave me a star field with no nebolisty in the framing image... , so thought i'll give it a try, behold dense nebolisty after a 10 min exposure but no rim nebula !, i stuck 2 hrs of data in the first framing attempt and i thought about completing it with sii,oiii but i was too keen to hunt this rim nebula, anyhow i frame mosaic the current object i'm imaging and added onto it, sgp plate solved my saved imaged data and it pulled up another framing image from astronomy.net this time it was ngc 6188 but with nebolisty detail !!..... the annoyance of being handed a dud image for framing then a much better one after ... but still no rim nebula, images show online that it is in this region !..

The sho image is from a user over at cn, attached for info on whereabouts rim nebula should be .

i've uploaded the two different frame images from sgp ..

it looks like i have to image another portion of the sky to the right next to panel 2 ..., it looks like it might be there !
Attachments
frame n mosiac.jpg
ngc 6188 p2.jpg
post-208786-0-15631000-1561778870.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: hunting for rim nebula !!! Wascally webula!

Post by yobbo89 »

a preview of one of my panels,21x600 sec ha 3nm ,the clouds rolled out 2 hrs in on panel 2, i might try a 4 panel,really looking forward to framing the rim nebula :)
Attachments
3.5hrs p1 ngc6188xx.jpg
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Great image so far!

NGC 6188 also carries the designation RCW 108.
There are two links below, looks like you nailed it judging by the image in the ESA link.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7679072818

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 7679072818

EDIT: Another great resource, RCW 108 is on page 101 in the link below.

http://galaxymap.org/cgi-bin/rcw.py?s=1
Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

Cheers for the catalog link, I'll have a read.

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

yobbo89 wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:56 am Cheers for the catalog link, I'll have a read.
In the catalog there are the exact coordinates for the Rim Nebula, so you should be able to get it well centered.
Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

well, i found it ha!, now i'm stuck doing 6 panels .. i couldn't do a 2x3 grid and dealeat 2 of the already made panels in the framing .. i had to make a row of 3 then re make another sequence for the last panel . i plan to do 3.5 hrs per panel , so 21 hours worth, i don't think i'll have enough time to do a colour image,sky conditions are never reliable or have consecutive nights of good sky.
Attachments
6 panels.jpg
rim nebula p3.jpg

KingClinton
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

Nice!
That is a lot of time on target! Wishing you plenty of clear skies for it!
And the catalog can help you pick out future targets, the author claims most should be visible with long exposure imaging.

Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Nice, glad you got it :)
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

well, i got my 21 subs on the rim nebula, i had a two hour nap and the mount did it's job while i was asleep! , moved back to panel 2 and i'm collecting the rest for that as the clouds rolled out last night when i was on it.

yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by yobbo89 »

ok i'm about 30 hours in, on my 9th panel !

kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

I observed NGC 6188, which I know as the Firebird Nebula and its associated cluster NGC 6193 a few times using my ED80 at a location just south of the equator. My best observation was in March of 2016. An extract from my notes is below:

NGC 6188 (Ara, diffuse nebula, size=20.0’x12.0’): During the session two nights ago, this object was difficult and elusive. Given how bad seeing had been this evening, I was hoping transparency had picked up just a little bit and that maybe this nebula complex would be a little easier to pin down. So I slowly moved south a little more than 1° from NGC 6200 until I located the bright cluster NGC 6193. Staying at 27x for the 3.2° TFOV, I moved my eye around in all directions from the cluster. As with the previous session I was getting a sense of very subtle haziness. I inserted the Ultra Block and the haziness picked up just a little more. I noted some haze particularly around the brighter stars in NGC 6193, and got a sense of a little more density to the north and to the west of the cluster. I then put in the O-III filter. This time the O-III did make a noticeable difference. Though its presence still remained subtle, it was more discernible in the O-III particularly to the north and west of the cluster. The view just gave an overall impression of looking through a thin haze of dusty air. You can see, but things seem ever so slightly unclear. So it would seem my guess about the transparency was correct, and it was most definitely was more visible this time. Though granted, in the 80mm it was still a diaphanous presence.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)