Discuss deep sky objects.
JayTee United States of America
Universal Ambassador
Articles: 2

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Asterisms -- Would Like To Display Them

Post by JayTee »

Does anyone have or know of a list that will upload into one of the popular planetarium programs (C2A, CdC, STX, Stellarium, etc) and then display (with connecting lines) all those asterisms that are contained in most of the hand controllers for goto telescopes.

I once heard that a list of 800 asterisms (with drawings) is out there but I can't find it.

Anyway, I think asterisms are fun and it would be nice to see a display of them prior to EP time.

Cheers,
JT
∞ Primary Scopes: #1: Celestron CPC1100 #2: 8" f/7.5 Dob #3: CR150HD f/8 6" frac
∞ AP Scopes: #1: TPO 6" f/9 RC #2: ES 102 f/7 APO #3: ES 80mm f/6 APO
∞ G&G Scopes: #1: Meade 102mm f/7.8 #2: Bresser 102mm f/4.5
∞ Guide Scopes: 70 & 80mm fracs -- The El Cheapo Bros.
∞ Mounts: iOptron CEM70AG, SW EQ6, Celestron AVX, SLT & GT (Alt-Az), Meade DS2000
∞ Cameras: #1: ZWO ASI294MC Pro #2: 662MC #3: 120MC, Canon T3i, Orion SSAG, WYZE Cam3
∞ Binos: 10X50,11X70,15X70, 25X100
∞ EPs: ES 2": 21mm 100° & 30mm 82° Pentax XW: 7, 10, 14, & 20mm 70°

Searching the skies since 1966. "I never met a scope I didn't want to keep."

515bonner United States of America
Jupiter Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Asterisms -- Would Like To Display Them

Post by 515bonner »

I use HNSKY (Hallo Northern Sky) by Han Kleijn - webpage = www.hnsky.com
It has a database of asterisms that can be used by clicking on the data to be shown. I don't know if there are 800...but there are quite a few, which are outlined and named.
I use this program as a quick "look and see" & ascom scope control program because it is simple and doesn't take up a lot of headroom.
Might check it out. If nothing else, if it isn't what you are looking for a quick zap will send it to the twilight zone :lol:
14.5" f/5.3 Starmaster with Sky Commander XP4 | 9.25" Celestron SCT | 8" f/7 Starmaster (only 5 made) with Sky Commander V3
6" f/12 Orion 150mm Mak | 4" f/9 Celestron Refractor (Vixen) | 80mm f4 unbranded refractor
iOptron CEM40 | iOptron Cube Pro
Large Assortment of Nagler and Konig Eyepieces | ZWO ASI290MC & ZWO ASI120MM-s Cameras

Member of the Astronomical Society of Kansas City / Astronomical League
Member of the British Astronomical Association
V.P. of Occultation Services, International Occultation Timing Association
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Asterisms -- Would Like To Display Them

Post by kt4hx »

JayTee wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:07 am Does anyone have or know a list that will upload into one of the popular planetarium programs (C2A, CdC, STX, Stellarium, etc) and then display (with connecting lines) all those asterisms that are contained in most of the hand controllers for goto telescopes.

I once heard that a list of 800 asterisms (with drawings) is out there but I can't find it.

Anyway, I think asterisms are fun and it would be nice to see a display them prior to EP time.

Cheers,
JT
Hi JT, kind of finding this late, but I have attached the Deep-Sky Hunters catalogue of asterisms, which is over 1100 asterisms. There are no drawing associated with this file, though I believe charts do exist out there somewhere. However, this list is incorporated into teh C2A planetarium program which is a free download - link is below. I have been pursuing this list for a while now from time to time. Note that a goodly many of them were found using imagery and are quite small and dim. However, there are many that are large in size and bright telescopic objects. Hope this helps.

Asterisms, DeepSkyHunters_Primary - Copy.xls
(224 KiB) Downloaded 115 times
http://www.astrosurf.com/c2a/english/
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)