How Do You Observe M32?

Discuss deep sky objects.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How Do You Observe M32?

Post by Refractordude »

When observing M31 I have never seen M32. Right click the image.
Attachments
image 3.PNG
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Re: How Do You Observe M32?

Post by Graeme1858 »

It would be tricky for me with my tired old eyes! Stellarium reports a surface brightness of 12.17. I would have thought you should be able to see M32 as a slightly fuzzy star once you have those surrounding brighter stars recognised.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KathyNS Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KathyNS »

Seeing M32 is a matter of expectations. From looking at photos, we expect to see M32 as a bright mini-galaxy sitting on the rim of M31's disk.
M31 photo view.JPG
However, looking through an eyepiece, you will see a slightly fuzzy star a surprisingly long distance from M31's core. This is a photograph, of course, but I deliberately processed it to resemble what I could see with a low-powered eyepiece under Bortle 2-3 skies.
M31 eyepiece view.png
DSO AP: Orion 200mm f/4 Newtonian Astrograph; ATIK 383L+; EFW2 filter wheel; Astrodon Ha,Oiii,LRGB filters; KWIQ/QHY5 guide scope; Planetary AP: Celestron C-11; ZWO ASI120MC; Portable: Celestron C-8 on HEQ5 pro; C-90 on wedge; 20x80 binos; Etc: Canon 350D; Various EPs, etc. Obs: 8' Exploradome; iOptron CEM60 (pier); Helena Observatory (H2O) Astrobin
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

I have recently had a nice view of M32 at 160X with an 8 inch SCT. I used a goto mount to locate easily and drilled in with successive EP which isolates the view and reveals M32 pretty well. The sky was bortle 3.5-4 and the pupil of the sky through which I was viewing was well suited.

In wide field views M32 has often been illusive unless I have very good transparency. Kathryn's representative image is an excellent illustration of my usual wide field view. I probably viewed M31 a half dozen times before I understood the relative positions and identified M32 in visual observation.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Actually, I suspect you likely have seen M32, but simply did not know it because you lack perspective of what you should see. There is a big difference between M32 and M110 visually, the two main satellite galaxies of M31. While their visual magnitudes are the same (8.1), their surface brightness is quite different (12.4 and 14.0 respectively). As depicted in the images, M32 is positioned closer to the galactic disk of M31 to its southeast. M110 is even farther removed from M31 but to its northwest, more or less opposite of M32. The second example provided by Kathy is fairly typical of the visual presentation when viewed from areas with noticeable light pollution.

From my typical suburban back yard, M32 is always visible, even on the worst nights, while M110 might be invisible during nights of particularly poor transparency. I liken M32 to a small unresolved globular cluster in appearance. From our dark site, the experience is a little different however. The outer structure of M31 extends much farther out because of the lack of LP, and M32 is often just involved at the outer fringes of M31 and this causes it to actually appear dimmer than M110 because it is engulfed within the brightness of M31's galactic disk. But that is not the normal view that most will see from the typical backyard.

The main thing to remember is to look for the star patterns as depicted in your Stellarium screen capture and triangulate M32 using them. M32 will not appear stellar, rather as a diffuse fuzzy star or as I said a small globular cluster that will not resolve. See my annotated version of your image below. As a bonus I also indicated the brightest star cloud in M31, NGC 206, so be sure to look for that as well. FYI, no need to right click the images, a single left click will do the job - at least it does for me.

Good luck, and rest assured you should definitely see it, and in all likelihood, have done so unbeknownst to you. :)
M32.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

My experience using an ST120 matches Kathy's overprocessed pic - a fuzzy star at a surprising distance away from the core of M31. It took me awhile to determine if I was looking at M32 or M110, but that I got that sorted out by studying my SS screen and paper atlas. The downside is I haven't spotted M110 yet.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Refractordude
Interdicted

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Refractordude »

Thanks to you all for your advice. I just returned from my bortle 4 dark site. However, I could not park at the rear of the property. The ground was damp at the rear. I could drive on it, but did not want to park. I skidded a few times. So my thinking was as time passed, the weight of the car would take me deeper into the ground. The front of the property has a parking lot and entrance light at the small building door. It was still dark enough for direct sight of Andromeda, but no night vision adaptation from the front. I tried spotting M32 within Andromeda at the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock positions, but no luck. I used my 40mm plossl for a wider exit pupil, but no luck. Andromeda was a little more then 2 degrees wide. I have seen it wider and brighter at Maryland's Point Lookout State park, which is a 10 minutes drive away. It could have been the atmosphere, because Mars showed less detail than I cold see under my home bartle 9 skies. Still had a good time.
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 am I tried spotting M32 within Andromeda at the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock positions, but no luck. I used my 40mm plossl for a wider exit pupil, but no luck. Andromeda was a little more then 2 degrees wide. I have seen it wider and brighter at Maryland's Point Lookout State park, which is a 10 minutes drive away. It could have been the atmosphere, because Mars showed less detail than I cold see under my home bartle 9 skies. Still had a good time.
As Kathy mentioned above, you are probably looking too close to the core of M31. I was not sure many times as well until I viewed a drawing of M31 and M32. Visually, it almost appears as far from the core as M110 does on the other side. Once you realize it's not "in" the nebulosity of M31 like it appears in most photos, she is very easy to spot.

Drawing courtesy of Kenneth Glyn Jones' book Messier's Nebulae & Star Clusters.
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
j.gardavsky Germany
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by j.gardavsky »

For me, the M32 makes a skewed parallelogram with three unrelated stars in the foreground of M31.

Easily seen as small disc through the binoculars as small as 10.5x70 under Bortle 4. Documented with more than 100 observing notes.

Clear skies,
JG
6" F/5 Sky-Watcher achro, 2" BBHS Star Diagonal, 2" zenith prism, 1.25" Takahashi prism
Leica 82mm APO Televid
Eyepieces: Docter UWA; Leica B WW and WW Asph. Zoom; Leica HC Plan S and L, monocentric; Pentax SMC XW, O-, XO; Tak MC O, Carl Zeiss B WW, and Pl, E-Pl, S-Pl, W-Pl;
Swarovski SW; Baader Symmetric Diascope Edition; Nikon NAV SW, ; TMB supermonocentric; Rodenstock; Vixen HR; TV Delos
Filters: Astrodon, Astronomik, Baader, Balzers, Zeiss West and East, Lumicon
Binoculars (7x42 up to 15x85): Docter Nobilem, Leica Ultravid, Nikon Astroluxe, Swarovski EL Swarovision; BA8 (Kunming Optical)
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Refractordude wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:00 am ... I tried spotting M32 within Andromeda at the 10, 11, and 12 o'clock positions, but no luck. I used my 40mm plossl for a wider exit pupil, but no luck. Andromeda was a little more then 2 degrees wide. I have seen it wider and brighter at Maryland's Point Lookout State park, which is a 10 minutes drive away. It could have been the atmosphere, because Mars showed less detail than I cold see under my home bartle 9 skies. Still had a good time.
I think you are right about the atmospheric conditions at the seashore. I tried observing from the Outer Banks under what looked like pretty clear skies but resolution was pretty terrible each time.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Nice! Now, due to Kathy's pictures, I can probably spot them too - when it comes dark enough again.
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Don Pensack United States of America
Mars Ambassador

Post by Don Pensack »

M32 has a higher surface brightness than M31. Even here in Los Angeles, when all that is visible of M31 is the core, M32 stands out.
This may surprise you, but it is probably among the 5 brightest galaxies in the whole sky. It is visible in skies where M81/82 and M104 are invisible.
It's all about expectations--it is a small spherical galaxy, and that is probably why it was difficult to find or see.
It is bright enough I can view it at 500x, a magnification where most other galaxies have been dimmed to invisibility.

Once you find it, and identify it, you will never have any problem seeing it again.
Astronomer since 1963
Currently using a 12.5" dob and a 4" apo refractor
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Interesting. I tried to observe M81 last week but it wasn't visible here in suburban Maryland.

I don't really understand why Surface Brightness might be more important than apparent magnitude.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 pm Interesting. I tried to observe M81 last week but it wasn't visible here in suburban Maryland.

I don't really understand why Surface Brightness might be more important than apparent magnitude.
The apparent magnitude is what the magnitude would be, if all the light from the surface was coming from a point.
Or, surface magnitude is (roughly) apparent magnitude (or rather, the flux) spread all over the surface (evenly).
Neither of them gives a very good indication of how bright it would appear to you, because neither takes into account the
"spread function" of the light. Looking at both AND the apparent size of the object gives you some kind of idea.
- Juha

Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:16 am
GCoyote wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 pm Interesting. I tried to observe M81 last week but it wasn't visible here in suburban Maryland.

The apparent magnitude is what the magnitude would be, if all the light from the surface was coming from a point.
Or, surface magnitude is (roughly) apparent magnitude (or rather, the flux) spread all over the surface (evenly).
Neither of them gives a very good indication of how bright it would appear to you, because neither takes into account the
"spread function" of the light. Looking at both AND the apparent size of the object gives you some kind of idea.
Thanks. That does make sense. I'll try to compare a few objects on my next clear night and see if I can get a better feel for the difference.

Clear skies!
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

Note, however, that (visual) magnitude is not linear scale, but (if I recall it right) about 2.7 exponential function.
That is: a star of magnitude 3 is about 2.7 times brighter (in terms of flux) than a magnitude 4 star.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

Understand, whereas the surface brightness is just the flux averaged over the apparent surface?
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:40 pm Understand, whereas the surface brightness is just the flux averaged over the apparent surface?
Yes. My understanding is that the 2.7 comes from the dynamics of the human eye. Most human senses go with about 2.5 exponent, but for eye the base is 2.7. That is: if the flux of B is 2.7 x flux of A, and flux of C is 2.7 x flux of B (= 2.7 x 2.7 x flux of A), the brightness difference between A and B looks as big as the brightness difference between B and C.
Last edited by turboscrew on Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Juha

Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 pm
GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:40 pm Understand, whereas the surface brightness is just the flux averaged over the apparent surface?
Yes. My understanding is that the 2.7 comes from the dynamics of the human eye. Most human senses go with about 2.5 exponent, but for eye the base is 2.7.

In other words it follows a natural logarithmic scale.
Gary C

Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
turboscrew

TSS Awards Badges

Post by turboscrew »

GCoyote wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:51 pm
turboscrew wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:48 pm
Yes. My understanding is that the 2.7 comes from the dynamics of the human eye. Most human senses go with about 2.5 exponent, but for eye the base is 2.7.

In other words it follows a natural logarithmic scale.
Oops! Double checked! I remembered wrong. The base for visual magnitude is about 2.5! Not about 2.7.
(Actually the base is defined to be 5th root of 100.)

I guess I have to check a bunch of other stuff as well. My memory seems to have done a major sommersault here.
- Juha