SN 2020nvb in NGC 4457

Discuss deep sky objects.
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

SN 2020nvb in NGC 4457

Post by kt4hx »

Another new SN in the Virgo galaxy cluster has been discovered. This one is in the lenticular galaxy NGC 4457 (mag=10.9, size=2.7'x2.3', SBr=12.7). It is currently listed at magnitude 13.0 (13.1 in Sky Tools 3) and lies 8" NNW of the galaxy's center. Below are a couple of links for you. I shall give it a go next time out after the moon has moved out of the way. The last time I visited this galaxy was nine years ago. Good luck to you in its pursuit. :)

http://www.rochesterastronomy.org/super ... ml#2020nvb

http://www.k-itagaki.jp/images/2020nvb.jpg
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: SN 2020nvb in NGC 4457

Post by KingNothing13 »

Neat Alan - thanks for sharing - I hope you are able to find it when you get the chance!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:08 pm Neat Alan - thanks for sharing - I hope you are able to find it when you get the chance!
Thanks Brett. It will be about a week before the moon gives me a little time at the dark site, and unless it fades super quick, should be easy enough. Will have to include SN 2020nlb in M85 that Clinton highlighted as well. SNe are great targets and mind boggling to consider that one is seeing an individual star in a distant galaxy, even for only a brief time. :)
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

Thanks for the post, Alan. I hope you have been doing well.
~Eric
Binos: Bushnell Falcon 10x50

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am Thanks for the post, Alan. I hope you have been doing well.
Doing fine here Eric and hope all is well there as well. Just haven't been on the site much of late.

Been doing some observing and did see this SN the other night with the 10 inch at our dark site as well as the one Clinton highlighted in his thread. They are currently listed at mag 11.9 and 12.2 respectively, so not so difficult. Given where they are placed and that I have trees to the southwest I had to hit them a little before astronomical darkness was fully set in, which in the case of NGC 4457, rendered the galaxy a bit weak visually though M85 was pretty decent.

Actually its been a decent year thus far for SNe, as I've observed six up to this point, with five of those in the Virgo galaxy cluster. :)
Alan

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:12 pm
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:10 am Thanks for the post, Alan. I hope you have been doing well.
Doing fine here Eric and hope all is well there as well. Just haven't been on the site much of late.

Been doing some observing and did see this SN the other night with the 10 inch at our dark site as well as the one Clinton highlighted in his thread. They are currently listed at mag 11.9 and 12.2 respectively, so not so difficult. Given where they are placed and that I have trees to the southwest I had to hit them a little before astronomical darkness was fully set in, which in the case of NGC 4457, rendered the galaxy a bit weak visually though M85 was pretty decent.

Actually its been a decent year thus far for SNe, as I've observed six up to this point, with five of those in the Virgo galaxy cluster. :)

Great to hear from you and to get the lastest Alan, thanks for this update. Seeing supernovae must be exhilarating!
~Eric

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:23 pm

Great to hear from you and to get the lastest Alan, thanks for this update. Seeing supernovae must be exhilarating!
It is actually. :) I have observed galaxies from many millions to just over one billion light years distant, which in and of itself is exhilarating. But the thought of seeing an individual star at such distances is mind boggling, even if for such a short time as these SNe remain visible.

By observing SNe, one bears direct witness to the immense power that is unleashed when one of these massive stars meets its demise. While it is true that it is simply a star, something we have an abundance of in the sky., in this case its about the distance and time involved. As well as contemplating the event that occurred making it possible for us to see it at all. In simple terms, I find it fun! :lol:
Alan

Buckethead 2.0
Milky Way Ambassador

Post by Buckethead 2.0 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 am
Buckethead 2.0 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:23 pm

It is actually. :) I have observed galaxies from many millions to just over one billion light years distant, which in and of itself is exhilarating. But the thought of seeing an individual star at such distances is mind boggling, even if for such a short time as these SNe remain visible.

By observing SNe, one bears direct witness to the immense power that is unleashed when one of these massive stars meets its demise. While it is true that it is simply a star, something we have an abundance of in the sky., in this case its about the distance and time involved. As well as contemplating the event that occurred making it possible for us to see it at all. In simple terms, I find it fun! :lol:

And with the JWST, we will be able to see events that occurred close to the formation of our universe! How amazing is that ??
~Eric

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 am just over one billion light years distant
That's amazing - there's so much amazing in that one little statement. Thanks for sharing that with us. What is the galaxy from that distance you observed? Imagine what our little earth looked like when the photons you observed started their journey to your eye.
-- Brett

List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

TSS Awards Badges

Post by kt4hx »

KingNothing13 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:04 pm
kt4hx wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:20 am just over one billion light years distant
That's amazing - there's so much amazing in that one little statement. Thanks for sharing that with us. What is the galaxy from that distance you observed? Imagine what our little earth looked like when the photons you observed started their journey to your eye.
Thanks Brett. That would be IC 1101 in Virgo, which I observed at the dark site house with the 17.5" dob on 20 April this year. Here is a link to that observing report:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9283&p=82640&hilit=1101#p82640

More directly to the point here are the notes for that galaxy from the report:

IC 1101 (Virgo lenticular, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
Visible at 110x, it was a small and diaphanous oval glow that was involved in a pretty field of foreground stars in close attendance. The view at 199x really didn’t improve appreciably. Oriented NNE to SSW, it was easily seen though if one were not looking for it, I feel it could easily be passed over.
A supergiant galaxy about 4 MLY in diameter, it is the brightest in the distant galaxy cluster Abell 2029. No other cluster members were seen however. Besides its gigantic size, what makes this one special is its distance, a whopping 1.1 BLY! (New)

In my view it is one thing to see a Quasar (an extremely luminous active galactic nucleus) over distances exceeding a billion light years, but quite another to visually resolve the galactic disk of a non-quasar hosting galaxy at over a billion light years with my scope. I find it a fun and thought provoking exercise. :)
Alan

TSS Awards Badges

Post by KingNothing13 »

kt4hx wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:43 pm Thanks Brett. That would be IC 1101 in Virgo, which I observed at the dark site house with the 17.5" dob on 20 April this year. Here is a link to that observing report:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9283&p=82640&hilit=1101#p82640

More directly to the point here are the notes for that galaxy from the report:

IC 1101 (Virgo lenticular, mag=13.7, size=1.1’x0.6’, SBr=13.2):
Visible at 110x, it was a small and diaphanous oval glow that was involved in a pretty field of foreground stars in close attendance. The view at 199x really didn’t improve appreciably. Oriented NNE to SSW, it was easily seen though if one were not looking for it, I feel it could easily be passed over.
A supergiant galaxy about 4 MLY in diameter, it is the brightest in the distant galaxy cluster Abell 2029. No other cluster members were seen however. Besides its gigantic size, what makes this one special is its distance, a whopping 1.1 BLY! (New)

In my view it is one thing to see a Quasar (an extremely luminous active galactic nucleus) over distances exceeding a billion light years, but quite another to visually resolve the galactic disk of a non-quasar hosting galaxy at over a billion light years with my scope. I find it a fun and thought provoking exercise. :)
That's astounding Alan, thanks for sharing again. Wow.
-- Brett

Brett's Carbon Star Hunt