Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Trying for Vesta tonight

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, hope you're well and your weather is good.

I got up this morning to snow and my phone going off with an alert message. It was from the kind folks at the Weather Network. No offense to them, but 1/2 inch of snow is not Armageddon, folks...:lol: So I turned off notifications for that app.

In checking the forecast, the snow is supposed to stop, the temps will go below freezing, and the sky will be clear at about 10PM. Looking out my window now this may seem highly unlikely, but experience has taught me that the sky often clears after the snow leaves and the temps plummet. So I hold out hope....

Ol' Luna will be in the west by then; i'll probably try my 60mm again. I got some great shots Tuesday, but tonight is supposed to be even clearer. And in the south east, Vesta will be drifting by the last star in the left (?) horn of Taurus; the star labeled 1 Tau. This should make it an easy target for even me to find.

I should be able to see it in my 10". What I would like to try is photographing it. Now, I don't have a tracking mount (just my older CG4), but I've found that with some practice, I can manually track and object for 16 seconds; that's my record with no blurry stars. Anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds is actually fairly easy. However, the scope I use is a homemade 60mm f/7 achro. With Vesta being at Mag 6.7, I should be able to get it in there... Again, I hope.

Now I do have a question. If I manage to get it in a picture at 11PM or so, would Vesta have moved enough so that if I took more pics at say 4AM, it would be noticeable against the other stars?
I ask because Friday night is not looking good so far :(

As for the scope and the manual tracking, it works, but the resulting stack is better in black and white. This is the Pleiades with 2 pics at 16 secs and one at 10 secs. There are magnitude 7+ stars in there that are visible, so I'm hoping this sort of thing will be good enough for what I want to try tonight. But Vesta is a pretty small target, so I don't know....
Pleiades_DSS_2X16sec_1X13sec.png

If anyone has any advice on this sort of thing, I'd love to hear it :D

Thanks and all the best,
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: Trying for Vesta tonight

Post by yobbo89 »

yes indeed, a hard target to tease out , i've tried and failed to find it.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Good luck with the attempt Mark :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Good luck Mark. Hope you are successful. I've never seen Vesta. Oh wait, yes I have on this coin of Nero. But I have never seen the asteroid.

-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
goldstar
Jupiter Ambassador

Post by goldstar »

A quick look in Stellarium , and if I have done the arithmetic correctly, tells me that Vesta will have moved by about 27 arc secs from 19h00 to 5h00 ( delta 10 hrs).
Not a huge amount but detectable if there are enough fainter stars around to gauge it by, but there are not. The brightest, closest star in the field looks to be about mag 11 and with ole' Lunar up this will be a tough proposition.
I selected a 1/2 degree field and even a larger field will not reveal anything brighter unless you go to 2 degree field to include Omicron Tauri at 3.6 mag.
At this scale you will definitely be pixel counting to see any movement.
Still, I think worth trying and good luck.
Scopes: 200mm f6 DOB:CR 6 150 mm f 7.5 refractor, SW ED 80 mm f 7.5. 2 X 80 mm f7.5 guides.
Mount: AVX.
NexGuide auto guider. Cameras 3 Ti and XS modded. I optron Skytracker.
Motley EP collection.
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi Mark. You are off to a good start. to stack two time lapse images and then show the movement of Vesta is not easy. Although asteroids always intrigue me, I have always failed at this, mostly due my poor skies on the second image attempt. The very best of wishes on your Vesta astrophotography project Mark, so keep us posted and the kindest of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Thefatkitty Canada
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Thefatkitty »

Hi all, thanks for the advice and well-wishes, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, the weather here did not cooperate. I stayed up until 1AM, hoping in vain for a break. I did make the discovery that the roof of my shed leaks in heavy rain, so that gave me something to do last night. Two words: Automotive tar :D

I would have tried this again last night, but ol' Luna had other ideas, and the sky wasn't really that clear as well. Between the Moon glow and the not-so-transparent sky, just finding Tau 1 & 2 was a trick. All I got accomplished was some pics of the moon through some old scopes. Not the outing I wanted, but an outing, nonetheless. Plus the wind helped blow the dust off my f/15 80mm....

My long range forecast is for rain and snow, possibly lasting forever :lol: But I do hold out hope. On the last day of this month, Vesta will be about 1 degree away from Menkab in the constellation Cetus. I'll get it yet....!!!

Thanks again all, and have a great weekend :D
Mark

"The Hankmeister" Celestron 8SE, orange tube Vixen made C80, CG4, AZ-EQ5 and SolarQuest mounts.
Too much Towa glass/mirrors.

Solar:
H/A - PST stage 2 mod with a Baader 90mm ERF on a Celestron XLT 102 (thanks Mike!)
Ca-K - W/O 61mm, Antares 1.6 barlow, Baader 3.8 OD and Ca-K filters with a ZWO ASI174mm.
W/L - C80-HD with Baader 5.0 & 3.8 Solar film, Solar Continuum 7.5nm and UV/IR filters with a Canon EOS 550D.
3052 Member of the RASC
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Universal Ambassador

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Hopefully success on the next attempt Mark :)
Gabrielle
See Far Sticks: Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser 127/1200 BV, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS 100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, SXP2, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II, Stellarvue M2C, Argo Navis encoders on both
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Tak prism, TAL, Vixen
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss (1011110)
The only culture I have is from yogurt