Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Both Uranus and Neptune Have Really Bizarre Magnetic Fields

Post by Graeme1858 »

The magnetic fields of Uranus and Neptune are really, seriously messed up. And we don’t know why.

https://www.universetoday.com/151135/bo ... ic-fields/

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
turboscrew
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Both Uranus and Neptune Have Really Bizarre Magnetic Fields

Post by turboscrew »

Graeme1858 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 8:05 am The magnetic fields of Uranus and Neptune are really, seriously messed up. And we don’t know why.

https://www.universetoday.com/151135/bo ... ic-fields/

Regards

Graeme
That's wild!
- Juha

Senior Embedded SW Designer
Telescope: OrionOptics XV12, Mount: CEM120, Tri-pier 360 and alternative dobson mount.
Grab 'n go: Omegon AC 102/660 on AZ-3 mount
Eyepieces: 26 mm Omegon SWAN 70°, 15 mm TV Plössl, 12.5 mm Baader Morpheus, 10 mm TV Delos, 6 mm Baader Classic Ortho, 5 mm TV DeLite, 4 mm and 3 mm TV Radians
Cameras: ZWO ASI 294MM Pro, Omegon veLOX 178C
OAG: TS-Optics TSOAG09, ZWO EFW 7 x 36 mm, ZWO filter sets: LRGB and Ha/OIII/SII
Explore Scientific HR 2" coma corrector, Meade x3 1.25" Barlow, TV PowerMate 4x 2"
Some filters (#80A, ND-96, ND-09, Astronomik UHC)
Laptop: Acer Enduro Urban N3 semi-rugged, Windows 11
LAT 61° 28' 10.9" N, Bortle 5

I don't suffer from insanity. I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hello Graeme. A very interesting article and link. I always like to bring something to the table, so here are two pages from a December 2019 Sky&Telescope magazine cover feature about Uranus and Neptune. The feature article contained information about the rings, numerous moons, and our next exploration launch to these giants. However I just scanned two pages which are related to your above link. This information is slightly older than the latest research by Tomoaki Kimura and Motohiko Murakam, but there is still much interesting reading here.
Article1.jpg
Article2.jpg
Thanks for finding and linking this solar system news Graeme, and the best of regards.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Very odd, I also was not aware that Uranus spins perpendicular to the rest of the solar system.
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

Juno16 United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Juno16 »

Pretty cool stuff Graeme!

What an amazing universe we live in!
Jim

Scopes: Explore Scientific ED102 APO, Sharpstar 61 EDPH II APO, Samyang 135 F2 (still on the Nikon).
Mount: Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro with Rowan Belt Mod
Stuff: ASI EAF Focus Motor (x2), Orion 50mm Guide Scope, ZWO 30 mm Guide Scope, ASI 220mm min, ASI 120mm mini, Stellarview 0.8 FR/FF, Sharpstar 0.8 FR/FF, Mele Overloock 3C.
Camera/Filters/Software: ASI 533 mc pro, ASI 120mm mini, Orion SSAG, IDAS LPS D-1, Optolong L-Enhance, ZWO UV/IR Cut, N.I.N.A., Green Swamp Server, PHD2, Adobe Photoshop CC, Pixinsight.
Dog and best bud: Jack
Sky: Bortle 6-7
My Astrobin: https://www.astrobin.com/users/Juno16/
MistrBadgr United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by MistrBadgr »

Maybe Uranus and Neptune are pretending they are pulsars! ;)

To state the obvious, there is something in their mechanics or electrical circulation that slants their inner currents in a way that causes their magnetic fields to operate at an off angle from their externally visible rotation. I think it will be interesting reading when some smart, energetic person figures out what is going on.

From external appearances, pulsars seem to do the same thing. I doubt the underlying process with each type of object is the same, but I wonder if there could be some sort of parallel commonality. Maybe some sort of gyroscopic torque internally that slants the magnetic field, due to the nature of the internal materials that are different than both gas giants and terrestrial planets? :think:
Bill Steen
Many small scopes, plus a Lightbridge 12, LX 70-8R,6R,6M
Many eyepieces, just not really expensive ones.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

MistrBadgr wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 am Maybe Uranus and Neptune are pretending they are pulsars! ;)

To state the obvious, there is something in their mechanics or electrical circulation that slants their inner currents in a way that causes their magnetic fields to operate at an off angle from their externally visible rotation. I think it will be interesting reading when some smart, energetic person figures out what is going on.

From external appearances, pulsars seem to do the same thing. I doubt the underlying process with each type of object is the same, but I wonder if there could be some sort of parallel commonality. Maybe some sort of gyroscopic torque internally that slants the magnetic field, due to the nature of the internal materials that are different than both gas giants and terrestrial planets? :think:
That's a good point. Actually the Earth has an offset dipole moment too. It's just a smaller offset than for Uranus and Neptune.

I'd bet that the "solid state physics" of the interiors of planets and pulsars share that their internal structure is complicated by phase transitions. Phase transitions and details of a history of formation could lead to offsets between the regions where currents flow easily and those regions where there is higher resistance to current flows.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

Seems to me that there is more than one good opportunity here for a smart graduate student in search of an interesting research topic.
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Makuser wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:06 pm Hello Graeme. A very interesting article and link. I always like to bring something to the table, so here are two pages from a December 2019 Sky&Telescope magazine cover feature about Uranus and Neptune. The feature article contained information about the rings, numerous moons, and our next exploration launch to these giants. However I just scanned two pages which are related to your above link. This information is slightly older than the latest research by Tomoaki Kimura and Motohiko Murakam, but there is still much interesting reading here.

Cheers for the S&T link Marshall. I've not seen the moons pictured like that. The inner moons are very close radius and the outer moons in random oblique orbits.

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/