A little viewing 4.4.20

Discuss lunar topics.
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

A little viewing 4.4.20

Post by pakarinen »

Had a good hour of viewing with my Mak last night before high clouds started coming in. Used an orange filter in the diagonal and was able to go up to 208X without much trouble.

Did a couple sketches around Gassendi and then Sinus Iridum in my log book. Primitive and childlike, but dammit, JIm, I'm an accountant, not an artist. :drool:
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Re: A little viewing 4.4.20

Post by helicon »

Sounds like a good night out there until the clouds showed up. Thanks for the report.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Makuser United States of America
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Makuser »

Hi pakarinen. I am glad that you got some time behind the eyepiece with the moon last night. It rained all day here, is still raining, and is supposed to continue throughout most of the night. Thanks for your nice report pakarinen, and I hope that you get more opportunities again soon.
Marshall
Sky-Watcher 90mm f/13.8 Maksutov-Cassegrain on motorized Multimount
Orion Astroview 120ST f/5 Refractor on EQ3 mount
Celestron Comet Catcher 140mm f/3.64 Schmidt-Newtonian on alt-az mount
Celestron Omni XLT150R f/5 Refractor on CG4 mount with dual axis drives.
Orion 180mm f/15 Maksutov-Cassegrain on CG5-GT Goto mount.
Orion XT12i 12" f/4.9 Dobsonian Intelliscope.
Kamakura 7x35 Binoculars and Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars. ZWO ASI 120MC camera.
>)))))*>
terrynak
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by terrynak »

pakarinen wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:22 pm Had a good hour of viewing with my Mak last night before high clouds started coming in. Used an orange filter in the diagonal and was able to go up to 208X without much trouble.

Did a couple sketches around Gassendi and then Sinus Iridum in my log book. Primitive and childlike, but dammit, JIm, I'm an accountant, not an artist. :drool:
Great that you were able to get out with the Mak, Olen!

Friday night I spent much time studying the features of the 10-day old moon with a 60mm 'frac, which was the highlight of that night. Gassendi was just hidden on the dark side of the terminator so I didn't see it. Had my telescope out last and I would have gotten a prime view of that crater like you did, but the clouds moved before I had a chance at the Moon.

I'll sketch deep-sky, but not moon features!

P.S. If you post your reports (incl. lunar-related) in the "Reports" section, you'll be guaranteed a wider audience. I would have totally missed your report had I not entered the "Lunar" section of this Forum for the very first time today!
Scopes: Reflectors, refractors, and 1 catadioptric. Ranging in aperture from 50mm to 150mm.