Is The Moon Male Or Female?

Discuss lunar topics.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Is The Moon Male Or Female?

Post by Refractordude »

Seawolfe wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm Could be transgender...... :whistle: :tease:
you should do stand up comedy
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Seawolfe wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:36 pm Could be transgender...... :whistle: :tease:
Aristotle would divide the universe into the cislunar and translunar spheres. Cislunar is the limit of living things. So maybe cisgender and transgender?

No ancient Greek has masculine, feminine and neuter genders soo..... that can't be right. ;) Aristotle is responsible for yet another error....
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Don Quixote wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:30 pm
notFritzArgelander wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:18 pm
Don Quixote wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:15 pm And as to a "cultural" definition of gender...please...
There is no denying that the gender of the Moon in different languages and cultures is different. So "YES!" please. Many ideas are culturally defined.

My comments are along the lines of entertainment as we "argue" over the gender of the moon.
If only we had an icon for "tongue-in-cheek"

Thank you.
I want the beer stein clinking emoji back...... Tongue in cheek would be good too.

I went wandering off to look at gender in language and there are interesting language differences by gender.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_ro ... #Australia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_ro ... guage#Asia

From my time in Japan I know that language differs by both gender and age. It's indicated by the degree of politeness shown by verb choices. For instance "is" or "to be" can be in order from familiar to polite "de / da", "desu", "gozaimasu", and "de gozaimasu". One does not want to make verb choices that are so polite that you are mistaken for a 12 year old girl.... :lol:
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Ylem United States of America
Universal Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Ylem »

Wifey is looking over my shoulder...
Clear Skies,
-Jeff :telescopewink:

Member; ASTRA-NJ

Orion 80ED
Celestron C5, 6SE, Celestar 8
Vixen Porta Mount ll
Coronado PST
A big box of Plossls
Little box of filters
:D

OhNo Canada
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by OhNo »

The Moon is probably Canadian. One of the few modern countries in the world to allow parents NOT to state the child's gender on it's birth certificate. :oops:
Scopes: SkyWatcher 8" Quattro, Celestron C8, SkyWatcher ST120, Orion ST80, SharpStar 61EDPH II. SLT 130 Celestron
Mounts: CGEM, CG-4, EQ2, Alt Az, SLT
Cameras: ZWO ASI533MC Pro, ZWO ASI120MM, Canon 1100D
TareqPhoto United Arab Emirates
Mars Ambassador

Post by TareqPhoto »

I am Arabic and in our language the moon is male and the sun is female, sounds in English maybe it is the opposite then?
    Telescope: SkyWatcher: Skymax 180mm F15 Mak, StarTravel 80mm f/5 ---- Meade LX70 8" F5 Newt
      Mount: SkyWatcher AZ-EQ6 GoTo
        Cameras: QHY163M, QHY5L-II-M, ZWO [ASI174MM, ASI290MM, ASI385MC, ASI120MC(damaged)], Sony A7r + Canon DSLRs + lenses [Hasselbald, Canon, Sony, Sigma, Samyang], Hasselbald H4D-60
          Filters: Astrodon Ha 5nm, Cyclops Optics LUX-Series RGB, Optolong NB, Baader filters [M&S Neodymium, Contrast Booster], Skywatcher UHC & OIII
            Software: SGPro, PixInsight, APP, APT, DeepSkyStacker, Nebulosity, SharpCap, FireCapture, PHD2, CDC, Photoshop CC
            Marcelo F. Portugal
            Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Wasn't the moon supposed to be made of cheese?
            https://www.debate.org/opinions/should- ... ting-sites
            Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
            Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
            Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
            Camera: none
            Messier: 7/110
            AntennaGuy United States of America
            Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by AntennaGuy »

It's all here. Based on the various male and female gods.
            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_in_astrology
            * Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
            * Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
            Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
            Shorty Barlow
            Interdicted

Post by Shorty Barlow »

I'm going for female.

Well, at least that's what my inner hippy is telling me ... man.
            Ruud
            Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by Ruud »

The PDF below has the history of "Moon". The word is masculine in Germanic languages. The thing itself is mineral.

Moon.pdf
            (6.69 MiB) Downloaded 141 times
            7x50 Helios Apollo 8x42 Bresser Everest 73mm f/5.9 WO APO 4" f/5 TeleVue Genesis 6" f/10 Celestron 6SE 0.63x reducer 1.8, 2, 2.5 and 3x Barlows eyepieces from 4.5 to 34mm
            Altocumulus Scotland
            Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Altocumulus »

JimMinCT wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:57 pm Cold-hearted Orb, that rules the night, removes the colors from our sight, Red is grey, and yellow white, but we decide which is right, and which is an illusion.....
            (One of my favorite tunes from these guys...) The Moody Blues, for those too young to know really good music...
            Cheers
            Oh Yes!
            Just call me Geoff....

I do what I do because I can, and because I want to.
            It doesn't mean I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:
            KingClinton
            Co-Administrator
            Co-Administrator

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by KingClinton »

It all depends on the culture.

Below is a cut and paste from a full article that was originally posted here: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... 4433604911

This is how various cultural groups see it in South Africa.

The Moon
            The Moon – iNyanga to the Xhosa and Zulu, Nwedzi to the Shona and Venda, and Ngwedi to the Sotho and Tswana – is probably the most obvious feature in the night sky, because of its size, brightness, and changing appearance (phases). As the Moon orbits the Earth it goes through a sequence of phases, from New Moon (invisible) to crescent, half-moon, Full Moon, half-moon, and back to New Moon.

To the Kora KhoiKhoi, the Moon was kham, “the Returner”; the Nama KhoiKhoi spoke of khab. The KhoiKhoi also considered the Moon as “the Lord of Light and Life”, and would sing and dance at times of New and Full Moon.

The Nyae Nyae !Kung Bushmen said that the crescent phases with sharp points was male, while the Full round Moon was female.

The Xhosa considered the time of New Moon as a period of inaction. When it reappeared as a crescent in the evening sky, it was cause for celebration. Important events were scheduled to take place around the time of Full Moon. Also at Full Moon the mothers would de-worm their children, believing that at this time the worms collected in one place and could be effectively treated.

The Naro Bushmen taught that when the crescent Moon slopes downward, it is said to be looking into a grave and this is a sign that many people will die in that season. A crescent pointing upward was a favourable sign. The round Full Moon is a sign of satisfaction and that people will find plenty of food.

In /Xam Bushmen mythology, the Moon is a man who has made the Sun angry. The Sun’s sharp light cuts off pieces of the Moon until almost the whole of the Moon is gone, leaving only one small piece. The Moon then pleads for mercy and the Sun lets him go. From this small piece, the Moon gradually grows again until it becomes a Full Moon. The /Xam also have another account of how the Moon came to be. In the old times, it was said, the Moon was one of the leather sandals of the Mantis-god /kaggen. The sandal was placed in water to soften it somewhat, but this angered the water spirit who then froze the water, locking the sandal in ice. When /kaggen saw the frozen sandal he discarded it, throwing it up into the sky, where it became the Moon. Whatever its origin, the /Xam considered the New Moon as being able to influence hunting and the gathering of ants’ eggs, and when the crescent was sighted, they would ask for its assistance.

The surface of the Moon has dark and bright markings; flat lava plains and rocky highlands, respectively. In many African traditions these markings are said to resemble the figure of a man or woman carrying a bundle of sticks.

When the Earth’s shadow falls on the Moon, a lunar eclipse occurs. The Nyae Nyae !Kung Bushmen said that this was caused by the lion, putting his paw over the Moon to darken the night so he could have better hunting

Under certain atmospheric conditions, a “moon bow” can form, appearing as a large ring around the Moon. To the /Gwi Bushman, such a ring was a sign that food will be plentiful.
            Eyeballs, binoculars, sketch box, Scopes n stuff.
            Some people don't understand why I love astronomy so much, I cannot understand why they do not!