Anyone excited about the upcoming Artemis Program?

Discuss lunar topics.
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador
Articles: 0

Anyone excited about the upcoming Artemis Program?

Post by OBXgirl »

I am so excited about this new Lunar Program. Going back to stay, learning to use sustainable methods to inhabit a new world...just amazing. Add in the Gateway (I love the term Space Tugs) and we're in business for the long term.
I hope it reignites the level of excitement similar to the Apollo Program. What was once a national initiative has become a global initiative. Outstanding !
What are your thoughts?
Last edited by OBXgirl on Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
Unitron48 United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Anyone excited about the upcoming Artemis Program?

Post by Unitron48 »

At age 70+ grew up on a steady diet of Mercury, Gemini, Apollo...can't wait for the sequel!!

Dave
Unitron (60mm, 102mm), Brandon 94
Stellarvue SVX127D
http://www.unitronhistory.com

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." Albert Einstein
bobharmony
Local Group Ambassador

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by bobharmony »

Like Dave, I grew up with the early manned missions (although not quite as old as him :)). It would be wonderful to re-ignite that fervor again. When Armstrong landed on the Moon you couldn't go anywhere without seeing, talking about it, feeling the excitement. Even with that, the energy didn't last long enough to complete all the planned Apollo missions.

In my opinion, it will take a politician with the vision and charisma of a John Kennedy to make this happen, and I don't see that person in the current flock of politicos, so I take the talk with a grain of salt. I want it to happen, believe we would all benefit if it did, but am not holding my breath.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I have been living this for a long time. I recall the same buzz in the early 2000s when the manned Mars missions using the Ares rocket were being introduced by NASA. That program (Project Constellation?) was all the rage for a while but was then cancelled. Fingers crossed that this can survive in a bitterly partisan environment, but not optimistic.

Bob
Hardware: Celestron C6-N w/ Advanced GTmount, Baader MK iii CC, Orion ST-80, Canon 60D (unmodded), Nikon D5300 (modded), Orion SSAG
Software: BYE, APT, PHD2, DSS, PhotoShop CC 2020, StarTools, Cartes du Ciel, AstroTortilla

OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl »

bobharmony wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:54 pm Like Dave, I grew up with the early manned missions (although not quite as old as him :)). It would be wonderful to re-ignite that fervor again. When Armstrong landed on the Moon you couldn't go anywhere without seeing, talking about it, feeling the excitement. Even with that, the energy didn't last long enough to complete all the planned Apollo missions.

In my opinion, it will take a politician with the vision and charisma of a John Kennedy to make this happen, and I don't see that person in the current flock of politicos, so I take the talk with a grain of salt. I want it to happen, believe we would all benefit if it did, but am not holding my breath.

Sorry to rain on the parade, but I have been living this for a long time. I recall the same buzz in the early 2000s when the manned Mars missions using the Ares rocket were being introduced by NASA. That program (Project Constellation?) was all the rage for a while but was then cancelled. Fingers crossed that this can survive in a bitterly partisan environment, but not optimistic.

Bob
With so many of the needed elements in place or already in play I really feel this Program is a go. And we're dealing with 15 other countries, as well as commercial entities, so our politics, while always an issue, should not be the definitive final word. *fingers crossed*
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
pakarinen United States of America
Inter-Galactic Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by pakarinen »

Having been a federal contractor and also having been on the receiving (and not receiving) end of federal funding, I have to take the hype with a block of salt. The vagaries of federal funding are many.

I predict it will take a major embarrassment by China before the US actually accomplishes anything. And I do hope I'm very wrong.
=============================================================================
I drink tea, I read books, I look at stars when I'm not cursing clouds. It's what I do.
=============================================================================
AT50, AT72EDII, ST80, ST102; Scopetech Zero, AZ-GTi, AZ Pronto; Innorel RT90C, Oberwerk 5000; Orion Giantview 15x70s, Vortex 8x42s, Navy surplus 7x50s, Nikon 10x50s
Star Dad United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Star Dad »

NASA's funding is so dramatically smaller than it was in the 60s that I find it incredulous that they have been able to accomplish so much on so little. When I see money in the budget then I'll believe it. It's easy to say, "We're going back". It's totally another to actually fund it when there are so many other "high priority" projects. I agree - it will take putting another non-US person on the moon to get funding - and maybe not even then. This country needs a vision and a leader with a vision. A goal. A unifying force.
"To be good is not enough when you dream of being great"

Orion 203mm/f4.9/1000mm, converted TASCO 114mm/f9/1000mm to steam punk, Meade 114mm/f9/1000, Coronado PST, Orion EQ-G, Ioptron Mini-Tower and iEQ30, Canon 70D, ASI120MM,ASI294MC, Ioptron SkyHunter