How Do You Deal With Lunar Crater Illusion?

Discuss lunar topics.
Refractordude
Interdicted
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

How Do You Deal With Lunar Crater Illusion?

Post by Refractordude »

I really do not like this illusion of the Moon's craters. I have been reading some internet articles about why this happens. However, not really understanding when is the best time to observe the Moon. I am thinking the Moon and Sun have to be at a certain angle for the illusion to happen. The illusion does not happen all the time. So what I need is to understand those angles to ovoid the crater illusion. Thanks all
yobbo89 Australia

TSS Photo of the Day

Re: How Do You Deal With Lunar Crater Illusion?

Post by yobbo89 »

intresting topic,I feel it happens more with complex craters, ones with like fine detail,layered edges inside and general at the center of the moon.
scopes :gso/bintel f4 12"truss tube, bresser messier ar127s /skywatcher 10'' dob,meade 12'' f10 lx200 sct
cameras : asi 1600mm-c/asi1600mm-c,asi120mc,prostar lp guidecam, nikkon d60, sony a7,asi 290 mm
mounts : eq6 pro/eq8/mesu 200 v2
filters : 2'' astronomik lp/badder lrgb h-a,sII,oIII,h-b,Baader Solar Continuum, chroma 3nm ha,sii,oiii,nii,rgb,lowglow,uv/ir,Thousand Oaks Solar Filter,1.25'' #47 violet,pro planet 742 ir,pro planet 807 ir,pro planet 642 bp ir.
extras : skywatcher f4 aplanatic cc, Baader MPCC MKIII Coma Corrector,Orion Field Flattener,zwo 1.25''adc.starlight maxi 2" 9x filter wheel,tele vue 2x barlow .

notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

It's kind of like those Gestalt pics with me and doesn't depend on illumination angle. Click on the link below.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gestalt ... bQr8CRkbM
I can choose to see the young lady turned away or the older woman turned toward my view. I think that if you practice with change of Gestalt images you will liberate yourself from this annoyance. There are many images you can practice with. There's always Escher too.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
NGC 1365 Australia
Saturn Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by NGC 1365 »

I usually notice it when I'm really tired, and can rectify it by looking away for a few seconds, but the illusion keeps recurring. I don't notice it if I'm fully alert and well rested.
Ivan