Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
KingNothing13 United States of America
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Apollo Landing Site

Post by KingNothing13 »

Neat - thanks - I do not believe that I have ever seen an image like that of the Apollo 11 site - maybe some day if I ever am able to get out, I can observe!
-- Brett

Scope: Apertura AD10 with Nexus II with 8192/716000 Step Encoders
EPs: ES 82* 18mm, 11mm, 6.7mm; GSO 30mm
Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 Binoculars
List Counts: Messier: 75; Herschel 400: 30; Caldwell: 12; AL Carbon Star List: 16
Brett's Carbon Star Hunt

Hankmeister3
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by Hankmeister3 »

Once Armstrong and Aldrin landed at "Tranquility Base", it wasn't long (actually is was before they landed!) before they/we realized that geologically speaking Tranquility Base wasn't so tranquil after all! Boy the boulders in them thar lunar plains!

Given the sheer complexity of the endeavor to land humans on the Moon AND get them back to Terra alive … well, I've heard that it was an open secret among those at NASA that Apollo 11 had a 50/50 chance of doing just that! Now that takes some real courage to strap into an oversized bottle rocket for a trip to Luna. Even with built-in redundancy (in most cases), it's amazing that millions of parts and the rinky-dink computers of that day were able to function at a nominal level that would make such a landing possible. And then do it again five more times. Of course Apollo 13 certainly proved to be a sobering moment in the Apollo series, including Apollo 1.
Telescopes: Meade LX90 10-inch f/10 UHC Coma-free SCT; Explore Scientific 127mm f/7.5 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 102mm f/7 APO ED triplet refractor; Explore Scientific 80mm f/6 APO ED triplet refractor; Skywatcher 72mm f/6 ED Schott doublet refractor; Meade 70mm f/5 APO quadruplet astrograph refractor; Skywatcher Quattro 8-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Orion 6-inch f/4 Newtonian astrograph; Skywatcher SkyMax 180mm f/15 Maksutov; iOptron 150mm f/12 Maksutov; Orion f/9 Ritchey-Chretien RC astrograph
Eyepieces: Set of 7 Baader Hyperion eyepieces, 3 Meade 5000 glass handgrenades; 1970s era Japanese manufactured Meade 12.5mm Orthoscopic, and too many other eclectic eyepieces to list
Mounts: Skywatcher EQ6-R Pro mount; Orion Atlas EQ-G mount
Post-production Software: Not good enough … oh, okay ... Canon's proprietary CanoScan ArcSoft 9000F photoshop suite
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 584

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

Hankmeister3 wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:12 pm Once Armstrong and Aldrin landed at "Tranquility Base", it wasn't long (actually is was before they landed!) before they/we realized that geologically speaking Tranquility Base wasn't so tranquil after all! Boy the boulders in them thar lunar plains!

Given the sheer complexity of the endeavor to land humans on the Moon AND get them back to Terra alive … well, I've heard that it was an open secret among those at NASA that Apollo 11 had a 50/50 chance of doing just that! Now that takes some real courage to strap into an oversized bottle rocket for a trip to Luna. Even with built-in redundancy (in most cases), it's amazing that millions of parts and the rinky-dink computers of that day were able to function at a nominal level that would make such a landing possible. And then do it again five more times. Of course Apollo 13 certainly proved to be a sobering moment in the Apollo series, including Apollo 1.
Indeed a stunning achievement given that the module's computing power was about that of a commodore 64!
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
Marcelo F. Portugal
Moon Ambassador

Post by Marcelo F. »

Here is the location of all missions that landed on the moon, not so detailed but also easy to locate:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articl ... ding-sites
Telescope: Dobson N 76/300 FirstScope DOB w/ DIY tripod adapter, 5x24 Finderscope.
Eps: 4mm Ramsden, 6mm Huygenian, 12.5mm Huygenian, 20mm Huygenian, 4mm Plossl, 10mm Plossl, 20mm Plossl, Barlow 2x, Barlow 3x, Barlow 5x, Solomark LP Filter, Dark Green Moon Filter.
Binoculars: Bresser National Geographic 7x50, Omegon Nightstar 20x80
Camera: none
Messier: 7/110
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

There is a full list of all landings by country with coordinates if interested: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_l ... ial_bodies
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people