Total Lunar Eclipse - May 26

Discuss lunar topics.
Bigzmey United States of America
Articles: 8

TSS Awards Badges

Total Lunar Eclipse - May 26

Post by Bigzmey »

Depending on where you located you may catch partial or total lunar eclipse. Here on US West coast we can see total eclipse early morning if weather permits.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/san-diego
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255
kt4hx United States of America
Articles: 4

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Total Lunar Eclipse - May 26

Post by kt4hx »

Bigzmey wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 pm Depending on where you located you may catch partial or total lunar eclipse. Here on US West coast we can see total eclipse early morning if weather permits.

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/san-diego
Thanks Andrey and I moved it to the this forum as it is more befitting of the topic.
Alan

Scopes: Astro Sky 17.5 f/4.5 Dob || Apertura AD12 f/5 Dob || Zhumell Z10 f/4.9 Dob ||
ES AR127 f/6.5 || ES ED80 f/6 || Apertura 6" f/5 Newtonian
Mounts: ES Twilight-II and Twilight-I
EPs: AT 82° 28mm UWA || TV Ethos 100° 21mm and 13mm || Vixen LVW 65° 22mm ||
ES 82° 18mm || Pentax XW 70° 10mm, 7mm and 5mm || barlows
Filters (2 inch): DGM NPB || Orion Ultra Block, O-III and Sky Glow || Baader HaB
Primary Field Atlases: Uranometria All-Sky Edition and Interstellarum Deep Sky Atlas
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Astronomers, we look into the past to see our future." (me)
"Seeing is in some respect an art, which must be learnt." (William Herschel)
"What we know is a drop, what we don't know is an ocean." (Sir Isaac Newton)
"No good deed goes unpunished." (various)
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't you think?” (Scarecrow, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz)
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Do you ever make measurements?
It's fun to watch and all, but, well, you know, like: Why? Aren't they all pretty much the same?

(There's a story from Apollo 17. All the way there, Schmitt was a chatterbox. The other two, Cernan and Evans, had work to do and were pretty busy. When they landed on the Moon, the situation was reversed. As the geologist, Schmitt had a schedule. Gene Cernan, however, was enjoying the view. "Jack! Jack! Look at the Earth!" Replied Schmitt without looking up, "Seen one, you've seen them all.")
---------------------------------------
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

Thanks Bigzmey.

Not visible from UK but your link led me to a heads up for a partial solar eclipse on 10th June! Nice one!

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 585

TSS Awards Badges

Post by helicon »

-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
AstroBee United States of America

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

mikemarotta wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 1:19 am Do you ever make measurements?
It's fun to watch and all, but, well, you know, like: Why? Aren't they all pretty much the same?
Why do people watch sunrises and sunsets? Pretty much the same, right?

I think every astronomical event has its unique bits, whether or not it's the event itself or the weather, location, company, etc...
Greg M.~ "Ad Astra per Aspera"
Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Mounts: Astro-Physics Mach One, iOptron CEM70EC Mount, iOptron ZEQ25 Mount.
Cameras: ZWO ASI2600mm Pro, ZWO 2600MC Pro, ZWO ASI1600mm
Filters: 36mm Chroma LRGB & 3nm Ha, OIII, SII, L-Pro, L-eXtreme
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA
Software: N.I.N.A., SharpCapPro, PixInsight, PhotoShop CC, Phd2, Stellarium
https://www.nevadadesertskies.com
mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

AstroBee wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 pm. Why do people watch sunrises and sunsets? Pretty much the same, right? I think every astronomical event has its unique bits, whether or not it's the event itself or the weather, location, company, etc...
Bigzmey wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 10:26 pm Depending on where you located you may catch partial or total lunar eclipse. Here on US West coast we can see total eclipse early morning if weather permits.
I did not mean to rain on the star party. I was just fishing for some insight that I lack. something that I did not know about. I have watched them, too, and will probably watch one or more in the near future.
For the researchers, the eclipse offers a chance to see what happens when the surface of the Moon cools quickly. This information will help them understand some of the characteristics of the regolith — the mixture of soil and loose rocks on the surface — and how it changes over time.

“The whole character of the Moon changes when we observe with a thermal camera during an eclipse,” said Paul Hayne of the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado Boulder. “In the dark, many familiar craters and other features can’t be seen, and the normally non-descript areas around some craters start to 'glow,' because the rocks there are still warm.” -- https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... 31-eclipse
Earth wobbles on its axis like a spinning top that’s about to fall over, a phenomenon called precession. Earth completes one wobble, or precession cycle, over the course of 26,000 years. Greek astronomer Hipparchus made this discovery by comparing the position of stars relative to the Sun during a lunar eclipse to those recorded hundreds of years earlier. A lunar eclipse allowed him to see the stars and know exactly where the Sun was for comparison – directly opposite the Moon. If Earth didn’t wobble, the stars would appear to be in the same place they were hundreds of years earlier. When Hipparchus saw that the stars’ positions had indeed moved, he knew that Earth must wobble on its axis! -- https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2018/ ... -the-moon/
Michael E. Marotta
Astro-Tech 115 mm APO Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/6.47 Refractor Explore Scientific 102 mm f/9.8 Refractor Bresser 8-inch Newtonian Reflector Plössls from 40 to 6 mm Nagler Series-1 7mm. nonMeade 14 mm. Mounts: Celestron AVX, Explore Twilight I Alt-Az, Explore EXOS German Equatorial
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

mikemarotta wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:19 am
AstroBee wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:53 pm. Why do people watch sunrises and sunsets? Pretty much the same, right? I think every astronomical event has its unique bits, whether or not it's the event itself or the weather, location, company, etc...
I did not mean to rain on the star party. I was just fishing for some insight that I lack. something that I did not know about. I have watched them, too, and will probably watch one or more in the near future.
For the researchers, the eclipse offers a chance to see what happens when the surface of the Moon cools quickly. This information will help them understand some of the characteristics of the regolith — the mixture of soil and loose rocks on the surface — and how it changes over time.

“The whole character of the Moon changes when we observe with a thermal camera during an eclipse,” said Paul Hayne of the Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics at the University of Colorado Boulder. “In the dark, many familiar craters and other features can’t be seen, and the normally non-descript areas around some craters start to 'glow,' because the rocks there are still warm.” -- https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/20 ... 31-eclipse
Earth wobbles on its axis like a spinning top that’s about to fall over, a phenomenon called precession. Earth completes one wobble, or precession cycle, over the course of 26,000 years. Greek astronomer Hipparchus made this discovery by comparing the position of stars relative to the Sun during a lunar eclipse to those recorded hundreds of years earlier. A lunar eclipse allowed him to see the stars and know exactly where the Sun was for comparison – directly opposite the Moon. If Earth didn’t wobble, the stars would appear to be in the same place they were hundreds of years earlier. When Hipparchus saw that the stars’ positions had indeed moved, he knew that Earth must wobble on its axis! -- https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/edu/news/2018/ ... -the-moon/
Hello Michael.
I watch these events because they are beautiful.
I love to watch them.
As I sit behind my observing instrument it is reinforced in my mind, the order that is the chaos.
I love to watch them because the event speaks to my soul as I am a piece of the event in this tiny speck of a part of the whole.
As I muse, with my eye to the telescope, I take part in the event.

Thank you, Andrey, for this reminder and the link.
I will have a partial here in Illinois.
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Well, what not to like? This is beautiful and dynamic event. You going to see some unusual phases, which you don't see during monthly Moon cycle, and the colors are stunning. As Atrobee indicated each eclipse is unique due to time of the night, weather and Moon position relative to the Earth shadow and the stars.

I remember on one occasion the Moon was close to the Beehive, which made it extra neat. That eclipse was also early morning, it brought feeling of tranquility with most people asleep, unaware and not making their usual noises. But, my family shared the experience with me.

Another one, which we also observed with the family almost did not happen. There were clouds moving and obscuring the Moon for a few minutes at the time. But it also added dynamic play of light and shapes. We got lucky, there was a brake in the clouds during the totality, which we enjoyed unobscured for a couple of minutes. Since it was a combination of luck and determination we felt like we scored big that night.

I like to make a night out of it. Set a small scope, grab pair of binos, favorite drink and a comfy recliner. I like to start at full disk and observe the shadow onset, then totality and shadow moving away. It could be a few hours but they are well spent IMO.

The coming one is a nail biter though. My weather apps change forecast from clear to completely clouded every day, and for both of my locations. So, I either will have two options to observe, or none at all. But, even if it will be clouded I will wake up and take a pick, you never know. :)
Scopes: Stellarvue: SV102ED; Celestron: 9.25" EdgeHD, 8" SCT, 150ST, Onyx 80ED; iOptron: Hankmeister 6" Mak; SW: 7" Mak; Meade: 80ST.
Mounts: SW: SkyTee2, AzGTi; iOptron: AZMP; ES: Twilight I; Bresser: EXOS2; UA: MicroStar.
Binos: APM: 100-90 APO; Canon: IS 15x50; Orion: Binoviewer, LG II 15x70, WV 10x50, Nikon: AE 16x50, 10x50, 8x40.
EPs: Pentax: XWs & XFs; TeleVue: Delites, Panoptic & Plossls; ES: 68, 62; Vixen: SLVs; Baader: BCOs, Aspherics, Mark IV.
Diagonals: Baader: BBHS mirror, Zeiss Spec T2 prism, Clicklock dielectric; TeleVue: Evebrite dielectric; AltairAstro: 2" prism.
Filters: Lumicon: DeepSky, UHC, OIII, H-beta; Baader: Moon & SkyGlow, Contrast Booster, UHC-S, 6-color set; Astronomik: UHC.

Observing: DSOs: 3106 (Completed: Messier, Herschel 1, 2, 3. In progress: H2,500: 2180, S110: 77). Doubles: 2382, Comets: 34, Asteroids: 255

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

My favorite Lunar Eclipse - January 31st, 2018. The moon in Cancer right next to the Beehive. Setting over the Mojave National Preserve.

Setting at sunrise - partial phase.

Scopes: Celestron EdgeHD14", Explore Scientific ED152CF & ED127 APO's, StellarVue SV70T, Classic Orange-Tube C-8, Lunt 80mm Ha double-stack solar scope.
Eyepieces: 27mm TeleVue Panoptic, 4mm TeleVue Radian, Explore Scientific 82° 30mm, 6.7mm , Baader 13mm Hyperion, Explore Scientific 70° 10mm, 15mm, 20mm, Meade 8.8mm UWA

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

April 4, 2015
Total Lunar Eclipse. Partial phase setting over my neighbor's roofline.

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by AstroBee »

April 4, 2015

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

Nice shots Astrobee!

Graeme1858 Great Britain
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 1

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

I Broke The Forum.

Post by Graeme1858 »

We can't see this eclipse from here in the UK, so here's a broadcast live view:

https://www.esa.int/Enabling_Support/Op ... ar_eclipse

Regards

Graeme
APM 11x70 ED APO Binoculars.

https://www.averywayobservatory.co.uk/

TSS Awards Badges

Post by Bigzmey »

So, anyone managed to see it? I woke up ~3 am, but there was double layer of clouds, not a slightest chance to getting a pick. :lol:

mikemarotta
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Post by mikemarotta »

Here, too, clouds. It is unusual for the sky to be cloudy for a full Moon, but it happens.
Michael E. Marotta
Lady Fraktor Slovakia
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator

Post by Lady Fraktor »

Only when there is a event happening.
See Far Sticks: Antares Elita 103/1575, AOM FLT 105/1000, Bresser BV 127/1200, Nočný stopár 152/1200, Vyrobené doma 70/700, Stellarvue NHNG DX 80/552, TAL RS100/1000, Vixen SD115s/885
EQ: TAL MT-1, Vixen SXP, AXJ, AXD
Az/Alt: AYO Digi II/ Argo Navis, Stellarvue M2C/ Argo Navis
Tripods: Berlebach Planet (2), Uni 28 Astro, Report 372, TAL factory maple, Vixen ASG-CB90, Vixen AXD-TR102
Diagonals: Astro-Physics, Baader Amici, Baader Herschel, iStar Blue, Stellarvue DX, Takahashi prism, TAL, Vixen flip mirror
Eyepieces: Antares to Zeiss
The only culture I have is from yogurt
My day was going well until... people
John Donne United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

TSS Photo of the Day

Post by John Donne »

Bigzmey wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:50 pm So, anyone managed to see it? I woke up ~3 am, but there was double layer of clouds, not a slightest chance to getting a pick. :lol:
I was skunked by clouds ... :-(
SCOPES :ES127 f7.5, SW100 f9 Evostar, ES80 F6, LXD75 8" f10 SCT, 2120 10" f10 SCT, ES152 f6.5.
MOUNTS: SW AZ/EQ5, MEADE LXD75, CELESTRON CG4, Farpoint Parallelogram.
BINOCULARS: CL 10X30, Pentax 8X43, 25X100 Oberwerks.
EP: Many.

"I am more than a sum of molecules.
I am more than a sum of memories or events.
I do not one day suddenly cease to be.
I am, before memory.
I am, before event.
I am"