notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

Dr H video: What is "Nothing"?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Nine levels of nothing.

The interpretation of cosmological constant as just a constant of Nature overlooks that GR permits the interpretation of it as contributing to the stress energy tensor. So I don't buy that it is just a constant of Nature, that makes no sense to me when the vacuum energy interpretation falls out from the equations of GR. Her view runs against consensus.

Since I believe that the platonic ideas of mathematics do not exist apart from the minds that think them the 8th level of nothing is a null operation. Mathematics has disappeared with the minds that think them
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
AntennaGuy United States of America
Milky Way Ambassador

TSS Awards Badges

Re: Dr H video: What is "Nothing"?

Post by AntennaGuy »

Re: "...the platonic ideas of mathematics do not exist apart from the minds that think them the 8th level of nothing is a null operation. Mathematics has disappeared with the minds that think them." Hmm. Now there's a topic for a long and likely fruitless debate. For what it is worth, I know a mathematician who maintains, with a smile, that in regard to mathematics, "God invented the integers; man invented everything else." Sounds good to me.
:popcorn:
* Meade 323 refractor on a manual equatorial mount.
* Celestron C6 SCT on a Twilight 1 Alt-Az mount
Prof. Barnhardt to Klaatu in The Day the Earth Stood Still: "There are several thousand questions I'd like to ask you.”
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Post by notFritzArgelander »

AntennaGuy wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 5:57 pm Re: "...the platonic ideas of mathematics do not exist apart from the minds that think them the 8th level of nothing is a null operation. Mathematics has disappeared with the minds that think them." Hmm. Now there's a topic for a long and likely fruitless debate. For what it is worth, I know a mathematician who maintains, with a smile, that in regard to mathematics, "God invented the integers; man invented everything else." Sounds good to me.
:popcorn:
Yes! Leopold Kronecker made that quip and I use it on occasion when appropriate. I think it doesn't go far enough, though. Counting also presupposes a mind that counts. I grant that the integers are "more real" than other mathematical ideas but even so, they need a counting mind and are not useful outside a mind.

The empirical evidence cuts both ways. Counting is a transpecies activity https://www.quantamagazine.org/animals- ... -20210809/.

I urge consideration of the theological ramifications elsewhere. ;) In short, if you believe God created integers there are profound implications for any other creations. Let's not get into plants growing according to Fibonacci sequences of integers.

Does an electron need the integers to dance about the nucleus of an atom? I think, not, and so even the integers are created by the minds of creatures.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
ThinkerX United States of America
Orion Spur Ambassador

Post by ThinkerX »

how does that old mathematical quip go?

Most people when confronted with a group of objects, go 1, 2, 3, many.

Well, that, and when you ask a kid to draw a picture of a house, said drawing (allowing for wavering hands) will almost always include the same geometric elements.