how many earth like planets around sunlike stars?

Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

how many earth like planets around sunlike stars?

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
helicon United States of America
Co-Administrator
Co-Administrator
Articles: 592

TSS Awards Badges

Re: how many earth like planets around sunlike stars?

Post by helicon »

The results of this study are particularly relevant for planning future space missions to characterize potentially Earth-like planets. While the Kepler mission discovered thousands of small planets, most are so far away that it is difficult for astronomers to learn details about their composition and atmospheres.
Quite a range notFritz! From 1 in tens to 1 in 4. According to this new research it appears earth-like planets may be more common than previously thought.
-Michael
Refractors: ES AR152 f/6.5 Achromat on Twilight II, Celestron 102mm XLT f/9.8 on Celestron Heavy Duty Alt Az mount, KOWA 90mm spotting scope
Binoculars: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70, Bushnell 10x50
Eyepieces: Various, GSO Superview, 9mm Plossl, Celestron 25mm Plossl
Camera: ZWO ASI 120
Naked Eye: Two Eyeballs
Latitude: 48.7229° N
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

However, we are learning from studies about the formation of the Earth-Moon system that an appropriate mass and a Goldilocks orbit will likely be insufficient to yield a truly "Earth like" environment for life. Still, this is a necessary next step.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

GCoyote wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 am However, we are learning from studies about the formation of the Earth-Moon system that an appropriate mass and a Goldilocks orbit will likely be insufficient to yield a truly "Earth like" environment for life. Still, this is a necessary next step.
Agreed.
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl »

I do a Program on Kepler, TESS, JWST and WFIRST. It's an exciting time, with each mission honing in and narrowing the field in each subsequent study. I think it's brilliant that each Mission allows some wiggle room for findings from new studies in various disciplines to enrich the data being returned. Finding systems like Trappist1 was a game changer, and with TESS halfway through it's Mission, the data it's sending back is changing scientific concepts constantly.

Are we going to find anything close to home, with a system similar to ours, with planets in the habitable zone? Not likely. I think Fermi's Paradox is correct, but will we find a world we can travel to? Not in our lifetime, so it's kind of a moot point.
If nothing else, I find it fascinating how the same elements can come together in so many different ways.
I want someone to figure out how Ice 7 works, or explain it to me if anyone knows.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but know just enough to get me in trouble.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

OBXgirl wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:18 am Are we going to find anything close to home, with a system similar to ours, with planets in the habitable zone? Not likely. I think Fermi's Paradox is correct, but will we find a world we can travel to? Not in our lifetime, so it's kind of a moot point.
If nothing else, I find it fascinating how the same elements can come together in so many different ways.
Understanding the universe better is reward enough I think.
I want someone to figure out how Ice 7 works, or explain it to me if anyone knows.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, but know just enough to get me in trouble.
Ice VII is tricky to explain. The complication is that the peculiar nature of the water molecule (it's an electric dipole with the negative charges clustered around the O and the positive charges away from it, near the Hs) allows it to arrange itself in many different crystal structures. Which crystal structure is preferred depends on temperature and pressure (or equivalently density). There are in fact 16 known different crystal structures seen in labs for ice so far all denoted by roman numerals, Ice I, Ice II, .... Ice XVI.

At different pressures the electric dipole nature of water permits different crystal structures that minimize the energy of the crystal. Without that complicated charge separation in the molecule the richness of possible crystal structures just wouldn't happen.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_VII

That electric dipoles can pack themselves differently at different densities/pressures is the trick to making many structures possible.
OBXgirl
Mars Ambassador

Post by OBXgirl »

nFA,
Thanks, that's the best explanation yet...your time is appreciated. Gliese 436 b is one of my favorite Exoplanets and it's believed that Ice7 forms its core. It's known to have extreme gravity, hence why the water world , stays a water world. It makes sense to me now that it would have a solid water core, without cold temperatures. Now it makes so much sense that I am questioning why I was stumbling to put the pieces together.

Sincere thanks for the illuminating answer.
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night. Sarah Williams

[img src="http://www.cleardarksky.com/c/CpLkNSNCcs0.gif?1"]
GCoyote United States of America
Local Group Ambassador

Post by GCoyote »

The moment of "illumination" is the small unit of joy that differentiates those who enjoy learning and science from those who don't.
Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.
Gary C

Celestron Astro Master 130mm f5 Newtonian GEM
Meade 114-EQ-DH f7.9 Newtonian w/ manual GEM
Bushnell 90mm f13.9 Catadioptric
Gskyer 80mm f5 Alt/Az refractor
Jason 10x50 Binoculars
Celestron 7x50 Binoculars
Svbony 2.1x42 Binoculars
(And a bunch of stuff I'm still trying to fix or find parts for.)