Discuss Astrophysics.
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory
Articles: 0

TSS Awards Badges

debunking BH myths

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5
Gfamily Wales
Saturn Ambassador

Re: debunking BH myths

Post by Gfamily »

Not sure I'd agree with the last one. Hawking Radiation originates outside the EH.

I'd also say the second one is very likely a 'myth' that doesn't exist - at least, I've never heard say "of course, all BHs are the same size"
LS8 Meade SCT, SW 127 Mak, 72mm Lightwave Refractor
Star Adventurer
AZ Gti mount
www.midcheshireastro.co.uk for astro company
notFritzArgelander
In Memory
In Memory

TSS Awards Badges

Re: debunking BH myths

Post by notFritzArgelander »

Gfamily wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:22 pm Not sure I'd agree with the last one. Hawking Radiation originates outside the EH.
Your criticism is quite correct for a non rotating Schwarzschild BH. But most BHs rotate and have a double event horizon structure and energy can be extracted from between the two event horizons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ergosphere

The outer event horizon is where the time component of the metric becomes infinite. The inner horizon is where the radial component blows up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerr_metr ... t_surfaces

I'd also say the second one is very likely a 'myth' that doesn't exist - at least, I've never heard say "of course, all BHs are the same size"
I've had people be astonished that a BH could be as large as the solar system, though. The path to get there is usually through confronting a different myth: "BHs are extremely dense". BHs can have densities as low as you want, the more mass the larger the BH (radius proportional to mass), and the less dense (density proportional to inverse mass squared). People freak out about a BH with the density of water that stretches out to about the orbit of Uranus.... :)
Scopes: Refs: Orion ST80, SV 80EDA f7, TS 102ED f11 Newts: AWB 130mm, f5, Z12 f5; Cats: VMC110L, Intes MK66,VMC200L f9.75 EPs: KK Fujiyama Orthoscopics, 2x Vixen NPLs (40-6mm) and BCOs, Baader Mark IV zooms, TV Panoptics, Delos, Plossl 32-8mm. Mixed brand Masuyama/Astroplans Binoculars: Nikon Aculon 10x50, Celestron 15x70, Baader Maxbright. Mounts: Star Seeker IV, Vixen Porta II, Celestron CG5